Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

Back from the dead? 8 reasons why I am warming to the tiny Canon EOS RP

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I like Canon and all, but I really don't see why you would buy this small (cheap) camera over an a6500 for $300 less. If you are doing video, it is a dog in comparison. Just throw some fast inexpensive sigma glass on a sony & you'll have a great look. 120p 1080, 4k with log etc.; I bet the 'crop factor' will be similar between the cameras. 

For photos, who on earth wants that terrible 6d ii sensor. Color depth and DR is 10 years behind, wake up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I like Canon and all, but I really don't see why you would buy this small (cheap) camera over an a6500 for $300 less. If you are doing video, it is a dog in comparison. Just throw some fast inexpensive sigma glass on a sony & you'll have a great look. 120p 1080, 4k with log etc.; I bet the 'crop factor' will be similar between the cameras. 

For photos, who on earth wants that terrible 6d ii sensor. Color depth and DR is 10 years behind, wake up. 

A6500 usability is so bad, cant see shit outside the summer sun right now, 1080p video is less sharp,  I was using one last weekend for a job which reminds of myself why I sold it as fast I m done for the job ( i got a7iii as main cam for that shoot)

 

This cam could be nice travel FF cam for me, the articulated screen is a must which non of other FF mirrorless have, and nice c cam for c200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Django said:

Damn, not only does it have 4K DPAF.. but it does so with continuous eye-AF in video. ..something EOS R can't even do (Canon better add that in a future update!)

No ALL-I codec, 10-bit out or Clog were to be expected.. but all in all not that much missing.

Pretty sweet deal for $1000 cheaper than EOS R released only 4 months ago.. 

 

 

Do we know for sure that it has 4K DPAF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

A6500 usability is so bad, cant see shit outside the summer sun right now, 1080p video is less sharp,  I was using one last weekend for a job which reminds of myself why I sold it as fast I m done for a job ( i got a7iii as main cam for that shoot)

 

This cam could be nice travel FF cam for me, the articulated screen is a must which non of other FF mirrorless have, and nice c cam for c200.

Are you sure the EOS RP will be much better in terms of the LCD brightness? I agree it is a killer on the A6300 though an external monitor is not an expensive option though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I like Canon and all, but I really don't see why you would buy this small (cheap) camera over an a6500 for $300 less. If you are doing video, it is a dog in comparison. Just throw some fast inexpensive sigma glass on a sony & you'll have a great look. 120p 1080, 4k with log etc.; I bet the 'crop factor' will be similar between the cameras. 

For photos, who on earth wants that terrible 6d ii sensor. Color depth and DR is 10 years behind, wake up. 

DR on that sensor is weak for sure but DR isn't everything to everyone. If your shooting indoors or with flash that might not even be an issue.

For $1300 on a FF you can't really be too picky..

Color depth however is rated at 24.4 bits which is quite good and even slightly ahead of 1DX2 (24.1 bits).

As for the A6xxx comparisons, well the RS on those make it a no go imo. Hopefully RP is closer to 1DX2 than to M50 in that regard..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wish it had some kind of Log... even if they had a Flat Profile like Nikon has or a Log-Lite. But all in all, I’d have to say that for the price, Canon delivered here and this could be a purchase for me. 

I don’t really understand why anyone would try and compare the a6xx Sony series to a Canon FF Camera? Even with a 4K crop, it’s still a FF camera for photos and 1080p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Don’t forget about the a6400. Would be a fair comparison really 

Is the screen brightness better on that? For photos the A6400 performs great. Dynamic range was pretty incredible on my a6300 for raw photos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I could be switching from 5Diii for my photo travel camera. This camera isn't the priority for me and I just want something smaller and lighter that shoots natively with EF glass. RP looks like it fits the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Django said:

@mercer you can always shoot in good old "prolost flat" (i have EOS R set to this on default) or EOSHD Clog.

That’s true, I’ve always liked ProLost Flat and Marvels and even Technicolor was pretty good under the right circumstances. And of course I purchased EOSHD C-Log a while back for my old M10, so that will work too. Lots of options. 

2 minutes ago, tweak said:

Looks like I could be switching from 5Diii for my photo travel camera. This camera isn't the priority for me and I just want something smaller and lighter that shoots natively with EF glass. RP looks like it fits the bill.

You’d give up ML Raw for this camera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Django said:

EOS R isn't presented by Canon as a DSLR substitute but rather an addition. That said quite a few 5D/6D series users are switching over. 1DX2 users no way, B-cam at best.

ProAV on YT did an interesting video showing the EOS-R as a B-cam to a C200 and it looked like a reasonable option.  The crop was even a feature as it means you can get a bit of extension on a shorter lens for a tighter portrait shot.

4 hours ago, currensheldon said:

The only big negative upon further review is the battery. Bummer to see a battery that has just over half the capacity of a Canon LP-E6 on a full frame camera that shoots 4K. I'm guessing you won't get much more than 45-minutes shooting on a battery that size. As someone who owns a lot of Canon LP-E6s and has battery life pretty high up on the priority list, that is a bummer.

I'm waiting for the pro model anyway, but love the RP's size and price. If it had that bigger battery it may have made a good B-Cam to the EOS R on smaller, one-man band shoots - or as a camera to always have on a gimbal for quick shots. 

If the P4K thread is any indication, let's reserve the next 80 pages of this thread to BATTERY RAGE!!

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I do wish it had some kind of Log... even if they had a Flat Profile like Nikon has or a Log-Lite. But all in all, I’d have to say that for the price, Canon delivered here and this could be a purchase for me. 

I don’t really understand why anyone would try and compare the a6xx Sony series to a Canon FF Camera? Even with a 4K crop, it’s still a FF camera for photos and 1080p.

As a consolation the contrast / saturation controls might have some decent leeway in them?

With 8-bit it might be preferable to allocate more of those bits to the middle parts of the exposure range.  I did really like the Normal profile on the XC10 which provided the same DR as C-Log, it just had a knee at a higher point so it was only compressing the highlights.

(From the XC10 EBU Test Paper - Normal = Look1, C-Log = Look 5)

1110111656_ScreenShot2019-02-14at7_36_59am.png.6c02b5540857cd595b721eebf0e21cd8.png

As far as I know the XC10 is the only camera that had this feature - the rest just clipped highlights.  For an 8-bit codec this would be a spectacular gamma curve, and it wasn't something that Canon or anyone else seemed to make a big deal out of, so although I'm not optimistic for the RP, we won't know until someone tests it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specs show a very low resolution LCD; I am not that confident that it will be a bright screen. I guess we will see. I am just fcking annoyed at canon for not at least recycling the 1dx ii sensor into a mirrorless body. They considered the eos r to be their pro body and the rp the entry.

Lets compare the one-two punches between the big 3. Sony: A7iii & A7Riii. Nikon: Z6 & Z7. Canon RP & R. Both the RP & R should be considered a joke compared to their competitions offering at the targeted segmentations. All of those other cameras have 120p, FF 4k, IBIS, LOG and much better DR. To argue otherwise is just being an apologist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snowbro said:

Specs show a very low resolution LCD, I am not that confident that it will be a bright screen. I guess we will see. I am just fcking annoyed at canon for not at least recycling the 1dx ii sensor into a mirrorless body. They considered the eos r to be their pro body and the rp the entry.

Lets compare the one, two punches between the big 3. Sony: A7iii & A7Riii. Nikon: Z6 & Z7. Canon RP & R. Both the RP & R should be considered a joke compared to their competitions offering at the targeted segmentations. All of those other cameras have 120p, FF 4k, IBIS, LOG and much better DR. To argue otherwise is just being an apologist. 

Maybe they got the idea from Sony's a6400 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mercer said:

You’d give up ML Raw for this camera?

I basically never use MLraw anymore, the 5Diii really only gets used for photos by me these days. Although I really love it, it's just not practical or suited to my needs so much. I'm probably going to get an E2 to go with my GH5 for the video stuff, they should be bringing a 4K Raw codec to the camera soon which will fill that raw hole :) . I just want a small, light camera that shoots good photos without much work SOOC, seems like RP could be that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...