Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Back from the dead? 8 reasons why I am warming to the tiny Canon EOS RP

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Django said:

@leslie They are actively working on it. EOS R firmware update gave some hope but A1ex from ML posted this yesterday:

rr.jpg

"The firmware update... unfortunately wasn't helpful. None of my previous tricks worked with it. I'm still wondering why some of my previous test FIRs resulted in green screen, but I'm now 100% sure we did not execute any code on the camera. The green screen was likely a bug in Canon's FIR loading routine, or something like that.

The good news -
kitor identified two UART ports: one at 3.3V, used by the MPU (outputs the log from above) and another at 1.8V, likely used by the main CPU (same voltage level on DIGIC 6). The latter needs some level shifting, but - at least on previous models - it has everything we need to enable the boot flag and explore around.

Worst case - ML on EOS R may require some hardware hacking in order to install it (like in the above picture). No big deal, right? I mean, you need a lot more knowledge to be able to use it "

Magic Lantern Forum - EOS R

He actually linked to a post here by @kye 😂 

OMG - that brought tears to my eyes!!  How funny!

Let's hope A1ex has seen the other nice things I say about ML!! 😎😎😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cannot quote actual statistics, but on average consumers (non PROs) have about two lenses, so think of something like a basic kit lens or a 18-135mm and probably a 50mm. If you wish to cater to these consumers, smaller and lighter (and cheaper) is better. RP does not sound like a PRO tool, but a (big) volume seller.

Canon has always been good at that and once they get you hooked into their system (and their color profiles), they begin a long lasting loyal customer relationship. These customer don't necessarily fear losing thousands when switching systems, but they prefer familiarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that is pretty hard core !!  i usually wait till the camera is well out of warranty and others have trod the path before me  :) . i pulled my nikon 950 apart to a similar degree to remove the hot mirror.  got it all back together had one tiny little screw left over  🙄 . been considering doing the same thing to my gopro to replace the lens with a less wide angle. still considering the swap, that and other lens acquisitions keep getting in the way. before and after photos from the camera with the hot mirror removed and 720 ir filter i think

pansey1.jpg

pansey.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaylee said:

i mean for the typical stills photographer tho

I'm not a professional photographer but I do some landscape and portrait for hobby. let's just say the eos r is like a 5D mk IV in mirrorless form with EVF and cheaper. And one of the best ergonomic to hold. What's not to like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leslie said:

that is pretty hard core !!  i usually wait till the camera is well out of warranty and others have trod the path before me  :) . i pulled my nikon 950 apart to a similar degree to remove the hot mirror.  got it all back together had one tiny little screw left over  🙄 . been considering doing the same thing to my gopro to replace the lens with a less wide angle. still considering the swap, that and other lens acquisitions keep getting in the way.

I used to be an IT technician for a small organisation with a modest IT budget, so we used to try and solve problems ourselves.  We'd often clean keyboards, printers, and other hardware when they went a bit funny because often a good clean can get something back to working well.

What was quite common was when me and the boss would pull apart a laser printer or something, there were almost always parts left over.  Sometimes they were parts where both of us would look at them and think "I've never seen that thing before in my life!".  Funnily enough we never pulled something apart and had it not work again because we stuffed it up - everything always came good.  

I think they just put spare parts in there so that there will always be parts left over and you'll be less likely to try and service things yourself next time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kye said:

I used to be an IT technician for a small organisation with a modest IT budget, so we used to try and solve problems ourselves.  We'd often clean keyboards, printers, and other hardware when they went a bit funny because often a good clean can get something back to working well.

What was quite common was when me and the boss would pull apart a laser printer or something, there were almost always parts left over.  Sometimes they were parts where both of us would look at them and think "I've never seen that thing before in my life!".  Funnily enough we never pulled something apart and had it not work again because we stuffed it up - everything always came good.  

I think they just put spare parts in there so that there will always be parts left over and you'll be less likely to try and service things yourself next time :)

i killed a $250000 cnc machine once, work didn't like paying for the service guy to maintain the machine and he wasn't always as  prompt as the boss would have liked. the service guys wife was dying from cancer at the time and he was a genuinely nice guy, i dont hold him responsible for being less than prompt in attendance.  i had the aptitude for running it so i was one of three instructed on running it the two others left at some point and i ended up doing repairs as required. when i had an issue that hadn't arisen before i would ring him and he would sort me out over the phone most times. one time i got myself in over my head. this machine was dos based and i inadvertently deleted some files that were linked to the start up if i remember correctly the machine was dead for about a week and it took 3 days for the service guy to reinstall everything and get various things talking to each other again . i wasn't popular for awhile. still we all human mistakes happen the trick is not to have them happen often :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kye said:

@leslie Wow!

I bet that would have been a pretty nerve wracking few days!

the boss bought the cnc for a high rise job that we had started, it was called q1 for awhile it was the tallest residential high rise in australia it literally ran 20-24 hours a day for nearly two years i think. i would load it up in the afternoon, even at night some times start it up and go home. come back the next morning and unload it. it even had a modem built in and was meant to ring a number when it was finished but that aspect never worked. it was pretty damn impressive, a few time it was my fault or another operators fault and occasionally it had its own   issues....  i did feel bad when i screwed up, but i  am confident that i made him more money than i cost him, i still work there part time whenever their busy i go down and do a couple of days work. they recently added a water jet, so i am keen to go and learn that as i have a couple of ideas for my anamorphic lens project that i want to try out :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, leslie said:

the boss bought the cnc for a high rise job that we had started, it was called q1 for awhile it was the tallest residential high rise in australia it literally ran 20-24 hours a day for nearly two years i think. i would load it up in the afternoon, even at night some times start it up and go home. come back the next morning and unload it. it even had a modem built in and was meant to ring a number when it was finished but that aspect never worked. it was pretty damn impressive, a few time it was my fault or another operators fault and occasionally it had its own   issues....  i did feel bad when i screwed up, but i  am confident that i made him more money than i cost him, i still work there part time whenever their busy i go down and do a couple of days work. they recently added a water jet, so i am keen to go and learn that as i have a couple of ideas for my anamorphic lens project that i want to try out :)

What Parts of the Highrise were done with that CNC machine? Steel node conmections?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xzobinx said:

I'm not a professional photographer but I do some landscape and portrait for hobby. let's just say the eos r is like a 5D mk IV in mirrorless form with EVF and cheaper. And one of the best ergonomic to hold. What's not to like?

i can appreciate that! but its like... adapters... etc. who has a 5d4, or 1dxii, or whatever, and a closet full of EF glass, whos going to run out and buy canons first "serious" mirrorless camera? i think its going to be a slow adoption rate lol, but we'll see

btw, how is that EVF? @Django?

30 minutes ago, leslie said:

for a high rise job that we had started

does this seem like a result of "normal office fires" to you? asking for a friend

DLoy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

What Parts of the Highrise were done with that CNC machine? Steel node conmections?

no i work for a stone company,  we did all the foyers, lifts, everything that was clad in stone. the kitchen sink cutouts and hot plate cutouts and  the vanity bowl cutouts and the polishing of the undermount sinks and vanities was all done on a cnc i usually set up two kitchens or 4 vanities at a time. the highrise layout was the same for each floor. so you just doing alot of repetition something machines are great at. the lengths of kitchen bench tops and vanities were oversize by 100 mm and cut to size either at a later stage or on site.

18 minutes ago, kaylee said:

i can appreciate that! but its like... adapters... etc. who has a 5d4, or 1dxii, or whatever, and a closet full of EF glass, whos going to run out and buy canons first "serious" mirrorless camera? i think its going to be a slow adoption rate lol, but we'll see

btw, how is that EVF? @Django?

does this seem like a result of "normal office fires" to you? asking for a friend

DLoy.gif

hey kaylee i didn't build that... honest, if i did it would have fallen down faster and not as straight 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaylee said:

i can appreciate that! but its like... adapters... etc. who has a 5d4, or 1dxii, or whatever, and a closet full of EF glass, whos going to run out and buy canons first "serious" mirrorless camera? i think its going to be a slow adoption rate lol, but we'll see

btw, how is that EVF? @Django?

4

EOS R isn't presented by Canon as a DSLR substitute but rather an addition. That said quite a few 5D/6D series users are switching over. 1DX2 users no way, B-cam at best.

The EVF? its a 3.69 million dot OLED.. best EVF I've ever used. No blackout either.

Touch & Drag focus point selection is also brilliant, especially for a lefty like me. Makes joystick FP selection feel antiquated.

Also love that all my FF Canon accessories (Speedlights etc) work seamlessly. Really missed solid flash performance on Fuji X series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaylee said:

i can appreciate that! but its like... adapters... etc. who has a 5d4, or 1dxii, or whatever, and a closet full of EF glass, whos going to run out and buy canons first "serious" mirrorless camera? i think its going to be a slow adoption rate lol, but we'll see

btw, how is that EVF? @Django?

does this seem like a result of "normal office fires" to you? asking for a friend

DLoy.gif

That's a controlled demolition. I have some experience filming these and working with construction crews over the years. That's a textbook demo (when building falls straight into its footprint like that). Looks like professional execution in a dense urban environment. 

EOS-RP apparently coming in at $1,299. That's some aggressive pricing from the old farts over at Canon.

Cue up the resident Canon YT fanboys to gush all over this thing (McKinnon, etc)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Django said:

EOS R isn't presented by Canon as a DSLR substitute but rather an addition. That said quite a few 5D/6D series users are switching over. 1DX2 users no way, B-cam at best.

The EVF? its a 3.69 million dot OLED.. best EVF I've ever used. No blackout either.

Touch & Drag focus point selection is also brilliant, especially for a lefty like me. Makes joystick FP selection feel antiquated.

Also love that all my FF Canon accessories (Speedlights etc) work seamlessly. Really missed solid flash performance on Fuji X series.

 

Is there a problem with the EVF? Can't say I've noticed it. Not sure what the RP will bring. But as for the EOS R, while not perfect, it represents the most complete package. Yes there is a crop in 4k. But that image imo looks better... and it makes your subjects look better. No fussing in post to get it there. Reliable AF makes it a perfect B-cam to have on a slider that is automated. It consume cheap readily available media. I really believe it is the most balanced of the bunch to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, forofilms said:

That's a controlled demolition. I have some experience filming these and working with construction crews over the years. That's a textbook demo (when building falls straight into its footprint like that). Looks like professional execution in a dense urban environment. 

EOS-RP apparently coming in at $1,299. That's some aggressive pricing from the old farts over at Canon.

Cue up the resident Canon YT fanboys to gush all over this thing (McKinnon, etc)...

Anyone who has ever seen a building collapse from fire knows that the structure will gradually collapse as different parts of the structure weaken from the fire. It is impossible for a building to fall uniformly from fire and impossible for steel to melt from open air fires, as open air fires simply do not burn hot enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Django said:

Well EOS RP $1299 price just got confirmed. Looks like Canon is really looking to shake the FF market with this one!

holy smokes that's cheap. Assuming that means that we definitely won't get C-Log, 10-bit HDMI out, or a robust ALL-I codec like the EOS R (probably a 8-bit 100mbps like the A7 series). Though still may have a lesser 4K crop. 

With that price, I'm guessing they are aiming to have a lot of 5D and 1D owners buy one out of mirrorless curiosity as a B or C camera and then wow them with the lenses. That and get any amateur thinking about spending a bit more for a full frame to buy into the system. Really smart move by Canon. Everyone has been freaking out about the A7III and much of that had to do with its sub $2k price tag. But $1299 is a totally different ballpark. 

Would be a good buy as a take anywhere travel camera so you can leave the cameras you use for professional use (5D, EOS R, C200, etc) safe at home when you just want to take some photos and videos for fun. Need a nice 24-70mm f4 travel lens to go with it or some smaller f2 primes. Hopefully soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...