Jump to content

We Are There... The Current Top Hybrids Are Good Enough


DBounce
 Share

Recommended Posts

I remember thinking to myself a short while ago, “The current camera so damn good, Do we really need anything better?

It seems many in Hollywood are taking note. I recently read a article which can be found here in which they state that the new movie “The Haunting of Hannah Grace” was shot entirely on the Sony A7S2. 

Granted, they rigged it up pretty good. But at the heart of that rigging was a Sony A7S2. 

So the day has come... hell has indeed frozen over. A humble prosumer camera can be used to shoot a Hollywood feature. Now if anamorphic lenses would follow suit, we would really be in business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the future of camera is not really about pure image quality. Now it is about new technologies like AF, automatic variable ND filter, low light performance etc. With these technologies we will be able to work with minimal rigs and the camera system will be much smaller and lighter. Shooting movies will be faster, easier and cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This didn't happen just now either. Older cameras like the GH4 / 5Dmk3 / D750 / etc have all been very good. 

Heck even the old Panasonic GH2/GH1 are perfectly respectably good if you work to its capabailities!

As the Zacuto Shootout showed.

https://www.zacuto.com/revenge-of-the-great-camera-shootout-2012

 

 

 

Or the various films done with the Panasonic GH2:
 

 



If you look broader than "hybrids" and say "sub $1K" then has been more than true since at least the BMPCC. (or "sub $3K", which is a common enough price for many DSLRs, then the original BMCC in 2012)


Being spoiled for choice in 2018 with all our luxuries we can choose from the many amazing cameras which got released this year, doesn't change the broader fact we've had "good enough" for a long time now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

This didn't happen just now either. Older cameras like the GH4 / 5Dmk3 / D750 / etc have all been very good. 

Heck even the old Panasonic GH2/GH1 are perfectly respectably good if you work to its capabailities!

As the Zacuto Shootout showed.

https://www.zacuto.com/revenge-of-the-great-camera-shootout-2012

 

 

 

Or the various films done with the Panasonic GH2:
 

 



If you look broader than "hybrids" and say "sub $1K" then has been more than true since at least the BMPCC. (or "sub $3K", which is a common enough price for many DSLRs, then the original BMCC in 2012)


Being spoiled for choice in 2018 with all our luxuries we can choose from the many amazing cameras which got released this year, doesn't change the broader fact we've had "good enough" for a long time now!

This. It is truly amazing what is available. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times, look at what Kendy Ty did with a t2i and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But isn’t that the point... when a hybrid camera can be used for a feature film released in theatres, we are already there. Look at the X-T3... I’d be damned if that doesn’t look like a high end cinema camera. So the fact that it’s a hybrid is extremely relevant, don’t you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

since when is "good enough" good enough?

there isnt a camera on the market that has skin tones as good as im getting with 5d3 raw. its the most lifelike image that money can buy!

alexa skin tones are the most overrated thing on the plant earth. they make people look

a) dead

and

b) yellow

and thats the gold standard right now

SAD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

since when is "good enough" good enough?

there isnt a camera on the market that has skin tones as good as im getting with 5d3 raw. its the most lifelike image that money can buy!

alexa skin tones are the most overrated thing on the plant earth. they make people look

a) dead

and

b) yellow

and thats the gold standard right now

SAD!

Canon makes everyone's skin look like they have just been on a sunbed - flattering is not accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Canon makes everyone's skin look like they have just been on a sunbed - flattering is not accurate.

1) perhaps but i feel you may be being a bit harsh on canon colours,  alot of people go on about canon colour and try to emulate it heck half this website is about canon colour in  one form or another.

2) when has movie making been accurate ?  its all the look and flattery plays a big part if it didn't, ugly people like me would be actors and tom cruise would be waiting on tables some where ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im not talking about canon, im talking about magic lantern raw

≠ whatsoever

canon doesnt make a video camera with the same image. if they did i would DEFINITELY buy one

edit: im being too concise. if youre new to magic lantern raw, its good to know that the image you get from different camera bodies will look different – a 5d2 is not the same as a 5d3, some are more similar than others, and so on. i was oversimplifying

final point: SO many of the videos above have a grade where this doesnt matter. not saying thats bad! just sayin'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

since when is "good enough" good enough?

there isnt a camera on the market that has skin tones as good as im getting with 5d3 raw. its the most lifelike image that money can buy!

alexa skin tones are the most overrated thing on the plant earth. they make people look

a) dead

and

b) yellow

and thats the gold standard right now

SAD!

 

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

i looked up "wax museum" but the pictures were way too lifelike smh. dont worry i found one

tumblr_pj6u8klL3g1xiag8io1_1280.png

170118131813-donald-trump-waxwork-1-supe

Wow @kaylee you should tell us what you really think!!

To be fair, those images are screen grabs so won't be accurate in an absolute sense, but are useful as a comparison. Androidlad was partly right and partly wrong in the other thread. He was right about the pictures I posted being screengrabs, but he was wrong about the vectorscopes because they were taken from a downloaded copy of the video that hadn't gone through a display correction of any kind. I blocked him partly because he assumes that other people are wrong without cause, partly because he didn't try to clarify or have a civil conversation, and partly because I already have enough immature bickering in my life from my two children :)

However, having said all that, it is pretty difficult to get past the colour of 14 bit RAW!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

since when is "good enough" good enough?

there isnt a camera on the market that has skin tones as good as im getting with 5d3 raw. its the most lifelike image that money can buy!

alexa skin tones are the most overrated thing on the plant earth. they make people look

a) dead

and

b) yellow

and thats the gold standard right now

SAD!

Yeah I am in love with the 5D III RAW skintones as well. Not sure if its lifelike though. I dig the alexa skintones as well.

Hoping we can gather enough 5D IV users(and devs) to test and develop magic lantern on it. Good thing the prices dropped a lot used on the 5D IV. So hopefully magic lantern will get the support again they once had with the 5D erra. As the 5D IV RAW could become my new favorite camera, and I own a ursa mini pro. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kye said:

Wow @kaylee you should tell us what you really think!!

??? loool sorry ive been drinking eggnog

55 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I am in love with the 5D III RAW skintones as well. Not sure if its lifelike though. I dig the alexa skintones as well.

Hoping we can gather enough 5D IV users(and devs) to test and develop magic lantern on it. Good thing the prices dropped a lot used on the 5D IV. So hopefully magic lantern will get the support again they once had with the 5D erra. As the 5D IV RAW could become my new favorite camera, and I own a ursa mini pro. 

^^^^

edit: @kye , @zerocool22, etc

look, in the spirit of eggnog, i uploaded a clip just for you guys

this is one of my first ml raw test clips – i had no idea what i was doing. doesnt matter! this is what i mean by lifelike

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2018 at 1:12 AM, kaylee said:

im not talking about canon, im talking about magic lantern raw

≠ whatsoever

canon doesnt make a video camera with the same image. if they did i would DEFINITELY buy one

edit: im being too concise. if youre new to magic lantern raw, its good to know that the image you get from different camera bodies will look different – a 5d2 is not the same as a 5d3, some are more similar than others, and so on. i was oversimplifying

final point: SO many of the videos above have a grade where this doesnt matter. not saying thats bad! just sayin'

If you are shooting in RAW the camera itself is largely irrelevant as far as colors are concerned. The color you get is the color you adjust for.

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"You can take any brand of camera that shoots video and shoot excellent video with it"

 

As another saying goes, poor workmen blame their tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shot with an xt3 and an nx1 on a recent project, and while the xt3's footage was visibly better in 4k 24 when i pixel peeped, i really can't say it really made a difference for my project. Of course having that quality in higher frame rates and a faster readout are real benefits, but even the nx1 peaked for diminishing returns in terms of color, compression, and dynamic range. At this point the biggest upgrades i want are for workflow: timecode, ergonomics, false color, and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...