GoPro Hero 7 with Hypersmooth stabilization

wolf33d

When Canon gives you 1080P EIS that looks as awful as it gets, GoPro gives you H.265 4K60P with a level of electronic stab never seen before. In fact I would prefer to have this stab in my FF versus Sony/Nikon IBIS, let alone Canon IS. 
BTW I have the Hero 6, and the stab was very very good but this one is again another league. 

Well done. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I have a GoPro HERO5 Session, and it is amazing for how small it is, and what it can do, especially in the 2.7K mode in ProTune. I can see buying the new one.

I F ing Hate Gimbals! They are expensive, you look like a idiot walking with one, the batteries are Always dead, they are fragile as hell, on, and on, and on.

20 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I was getting ready to shit on this before I clicked on the video, but this genuinely has me intrigued!

See, I did not lie. They killed it. 
When I repeat on this forum that japanese camera manufacturer are not innovative at all this is what I mean. This kind of stuff should not appear on a 400$ consumer camera first but it should on 3000$ cameras. 

Smaller sensors are always easier to stabilize. I wouldn't mind a larger camera to stabilize an M43 sensor though its a lot larger then a Go pro one. 

I've pretty much abandoned IBIS for now though. Sticking to my gimbal which I find works great for my uses. I get why a vlogger or traveler would want something like a Hero7 though. 

I have looked at the sample videos - and Casey's stuff. IN NO WAY DOES THIS COME CLOSE TO THE RESULTS FROM A GIMBAL!!!  It is pretty impressive stabilisation for sure.

But to say it replaces a gimbal is very misleading - the stability approaches perhaps 60% of what a gimbal gives you. (which is impressive - but they are over stating the results)

Having said all of that-  I am tempted to get one.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Smaller sensors are always easier to stabilize. I wouldn't mind a larger camera to stabilize an M43 sensor though its a lot larger then a Go pro one.  

No. Smaller sensor are easier to stabilize mechanically, like in the case of GH5 or Sony stabilisation. This is not the case here. This is 100% electronic digital stabilisation. No difference whatsoever with a FF sensor. Don’t give excuses to those companies, cause they got none. The electronic stab with canon is pure joke, and Sony well it’s not digital but does not come close to this either.

For your info, the way they do this is using an accelerometer and they know camera movement so they just crop the image and stabilize according to this movement. A company released an expensive device to put on a GoPro that does that and necessitates lots of processing through their software. Here everything is done real time in camera. That’s incredible. By the way the company that released the device did one for dslrs too. Again this kind of stabilisation the sensor doesn’t matter. This could work as well on a medium format camera, doesn’t matter. The reason why it’s not on your 5D is because canon Sony Nikon all of them suck. They won’t put an accelerometer and they won’t code the algorithms. They are too stuck 5y behind. 

This is the future of stabilisation though. Sensor mechanical stab can’t touch this. Even with a small sensor like GH5.

1 hour ago, Matt Holder said:

I have looked at the sample videos - and Casey's stuff. IN NO WAY DOES THIS COME CLOSE TO THE RESULTS FROM A GIMBAL!!!  It is pretty impressive stabilisation for sure.

Seriously? Forget Casey’s shit he did not activate the hypersmooth in most of his shots except the ones mountain biking. Watch other videos and H6 vs H7. It truly is remarkable even walking or running. In fact it’s so good it feels more organic than gimbals because there is a little movement. 

27 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

No. Smaller sensor are easier to stabilize mechanically, like in the case of GH5 or Sony stabilisation. This is not the case here. This is 100% electronic digital stabilisation. No difference whatsoever with a FF sensor. Don’t give excuses to those companies, cause they got none. The electronic stab with canon is pure joke, and Sony well it’s not digital but does not come close to this either. 

But isnt 'electronic stabilisation' just something that you can do in post (with a much more powerful processor)? Mechanical stabilisation aka ibis or say DJI Mavic gimbal is stabilisation that works before PP.

31 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

For your info, the way they do this is using an accelerometer and they know camera movement so they just crop the image and stabilize according to this movement. A company released an expensive device to put on a GoPro that does that and necessitates lots of processing through their software. Here everything is done real time in camera. That’s incredible. By the way the company that released the device did one for dslrs too. Again this kind of stabilisation the sensor doesn’t matter. This could work as well on a medium format camera, doesn’t matter. The reason why it’s not on your 5D is because canon Sony Nikon all of them suck. They won’t put an accelerometer and they won’t code the algorithms. They are too stuck 5y behind. 

This is the future of stabilisation though. Sensor mechanical stab can’t touch this. Even with a small sensor like GH5.

Seriously? Forget Casey’s shit he did not activate the hypersmooth in most of his shots except the ones mountain biking. Watch other videos and H6 vs H7. It truly is remarkable even walking or running. In fact it’s so good it feels more organic than gimbals because there is a little movement. 

The future is software based. The japanese are not good at sofware that I can tell you. They can make hardware alright but something as simple as a menu system is a no go. It will take the americans innovating in software to get us anywhere near a gimbal-less future. Look at the strides google and apple are making with their algorithms. Can't wait to see where we will be in five years time. These old japanese companies will struggle.  

3 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

But isnt 'electronic stabilisation' just something that you can do in post (with a much more powerful processor)? Mechanical stabilisation aka ibis or say DJI Mavic gimbal is stabilisation that works before PP.

too much information and data is lost if it isn't done in camera so the results cannot be anywhere near as good. 

7 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Stabilizing in-camera allows GoPro to use hardware sensors (accelerometer, gyroscope) in combination with image analysis to determine what movements and rotations to compensate. Doing it in post can only analyze the images, which as @Yurolov pointed out, are already compressed.

5 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

What else do you need?

I remember seeing a comparison video between the iPhone X and the GoPro6, and the dynamic range difference (apart from stabilization), was pretty huge. I wish that has been improved. Many Sony Sensor have HDR and 30fps+ full sensor readout. It's only a matter of faster processing and better algorithms and small sensor cameras can be vastly improved.

I saw videos of the GP7 and they seem yo have fixed that muddy sound of the in-built mics too.  So I guess they're improving.  

10 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I remember seeing a comparison video between the iPhone X and the GoPro6, and the dynamic range difference (apart from stabilization), was pretty huge. I wish that has been improved. Many Sony Sensor have HDR and 30fps+ full sensor readout. It's only a matter of faster processing and better algorithms and small sensor cameras can be vastly improved.

I saw videos of the GP7 and they seem yo have fixed that muddy sound of the in-built mics too.  So I guess they're improving.  

GoPro's have around 11 stop dynamic range in Protune Native Flat mode. Actually the dynamic range is very good for the sensor size