Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

33 minutes ago, Carz1 said:

What lenses do fuji shooters recommend?

These are two of the Fuji lenses I hope and dream of getting:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321239-REG/fujinon_fujinon_mk18_55mm_t2_9_lens.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321240-REG/fujinon_fujinon_mk50_135mm_t2_9_lens.html
(the mounts are adaptable) 

And if I could pick one more....  this (mount isn't swappable however):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895225-REG/fujinon_19_90mm_t2_9_cabrio_pl.html

7 minutes ago, heart0less said:

If you don't really care about f/1.4, then f/2 primes are considered as great and reliable lenses. 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2

It must be a popular starting kit, B&H sells them as a package all together: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1460561-REG/fujifilm_xf_50mm_35mm_and.html

15 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Viltrox will be releasing a cheaper f/1.4 counterparts in 2-months time.

23/1.4 , 33/1.4 and 56/1.4. Each for ~250 - 300$.

I see the Viltrox  85mm autofocus lens is already available for X Mount:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1469188-REG/viltrox_pfu_rbmh_85mm_f1_8_stm_x_e_mount_85mm_f_1_8_for_fuji.html/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x954300/SID/EZ

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the 35 f2 on my xt3 as a default. Great for basically everything. 

For shots that I want wider / longer lens, I have the Viltrox adapter and use either Canon 17-40 f4 or 24-105 f4.

They work very well, but slow AF. So if that's important to you, go native. The Viltrox makes it more or less FF so 17mm is mega wide. 

I use Canon because I can also put them on my P4K. So I have 1 native lens for each system I use, and other than that always adapt.

That said I might look into those new Viltrox lenses if AF works well.

With fuji making such advances in video so quickly, it would be nice if they better utilized their lenses to be great for video and photo. The 16mm and 23mm 1.4 with the focus clutch, and the X-T4 with IBIS,  would make them great, versatile lenses if they weren't so loud and clunky. Hopefully they release a lens road map in early 2020. 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Eh, an external battery + MixPre3 + VariND is still less hassle, easier to add, and more compact than adding a gimbal to replace the lack of IBIS. (although of course a gimbal would be ultimately more powerful than IBIS) 

Yes, so now you have an external battery, a cable to power it to camera and it's a usb one. Then you have a preamp, with it's own set of batteries, cables, and an ND that you can easily drop, break, loose and every single cable will break eventualy.  I'm not trying do argue at all but I've been there and you will not belive what kind of releave it is to have a all in one solution at all times. Would I want ibis on a let's say fs7...sure why not, but if I would have to choose I would pick it last out of all these features. But maybe you have done more docu work than I have, and you prefer Ibis above all of the above feature, and thats fine, I'm just sharing my own experiences. 

20 hours ago, jagnje said:

Long battery life, internal NDs, XLR inputs and good overall onboard audio are things that you need for documetary work. Ibis would be least of my concern.

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Eh, an external battery + MixPre3 + VariND is still less hassle, easier to add, and more compact than adding a gimbal to replace the lack of IBIS. (although of course a gimbal would be ultimately more powerful than IBIS) 

You know, the beauty of treating a mirrorless/hybrid as a build-it-yourself rig is that you don't actually have to choose between an external battery + MixPre3/external preamp + variND (and hell, let's add on a Ninja V and a follow focus unit to go all in) or a gimbal setup. It's a false dichotomy. With a cage like SmallRig's, which has a quick release rail build right in, I can pop the top handle off my T3 and pop it off the mini-cine rig and slap it onto my Ronin S in a minute or so. It takes a bit longer if I want to move the monitor or mike over to the gimbal but it's doable. 

People get caught up debating whether handheld rigs are better than gimbals or vise versa, when the reality is they're both just tools to get a particular kind of shot. The real trick is picking the right tool to get the shooting style that helps tell the story or at least doesn't get in the way of telling it. With gimbals coming down in price and rigs being so modular, its not unrealistic to set up both systems. Personally, I like handheld/shoulder mount and sticks for doc work and a gimbal for brand stuff that calls for slick movement and modern transitions, plus some event work. 

9 hours ago, jagnje said:

Yes, so now you have an external battery, a cable to power it to camera and it's a usb one. Then you have a preamp, with it's own set of batteries, cables, and an ND that you can easily drop, break, loose and every single cable will break eventualy.  I'm not trying do argue at all but I've been there and you will not belive what kind of releave it is to have a all in one solution at all times. Would I want ibis on a let's say fs7...sure why not, but if I would have to choose I would pick it last out of all these features. But maybe you have done more docu work than I have, and you prefer Ibis above all of the above feature, and thats fine, I'm just sharing my own experiences. 

You know, with the T3 and probably every other major camera out there, you can run a dummy battery instead of a usb cable to your V-Mount. Other than that, yeah, of course it's less hassle to run a full cinema rig like an FS7, C200 or what have you (unless you need something that can also strip down to be very small). But one of those used is in the 5k range. You can pick up a mirrorless hybrid like the X-T3 for less than 2 grand (a fair bit less most of last year) and start shooting right away, and build your custom rig as cash comes in, plus use stuff you may have from other camera setups. And you can still come in at less than the used cine camera.

I will be thrilled when I can relegate the T3 to a b-camera/permanent gimbal camera, yet it is awesome to have a camera system that is cheap to get into and has a ton of utility and is worth building out for the stage of the game I'm at. It's the tool that will get me to the place where I can drop 5-15K on a single camera. I'm sure may others are happy about that too.

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I would get the Fuji version of those lenses for a Fuji camera ;)

And yes, they are incredible

4 hours ago, frontfocus said:

I would get the Fuji version of those lenses for a Fuji camera ;)

And yes, they are incredible

I've heard though the Fuji X Mount version isn't swappable? Which is MADNESS! If true. 
(thus might be better to buy them in swappable E Mount? Perhaps)

39 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've heard though the Fuji X Mount version isn't swappable? Which is MADNESS! If true.

They Fuji X mount versions may look similar, but a a tiny bit different. They have electronic contacts and communicate with the camera. This way they add a few features the other lenses do not have. 

13 hours ago, frontfocus said:

They Fuji X mount versions may look similar, but a a tiny bit different. They have electronic contacts and communicate with the camera. This way they add a few features the other lenses do not have. 

Yup, and I assume those electronic contacts are the reason you can't swap them ? ? :-/ 

Wish Fuji would make a dumb X Mount for their own lenses to swap in. 

On 1/9/2020 at 7:53 PM, IronFilm said:

At least the IBIS is triple checked confirmed

Very happy to read that. 

It depends on the effectiveness of the IBIS.  They would need to improve over the X-H1 based on the results from Mirrorlesscomparison (FF equiv).  The X-H1 was more in line with the A7iii for IBIS capability.

EM1mkII: 6-stops @ 24mm, 9-stops @ 24mm SIS, 7-stops @ 150mm, 8-stops @ 200mm SIS

Pan G9: 6-stops @ 36mm, 7-stops @ 36mm SIS, 5-stops @ 300mm DIS

Fuji XH1: 3-stops @ 24mm, 4-stops @ 28mm OIS, 3-stops @50mm, 4+stops @ 150mm OIS

With the custom WB options, is it possible to have 2 presets (5600 and 4200) ? 

From what I can see, you can only set custom presets by white balancing off a card or something. I want to dial in the kelvin manually and have the two most used settings at the touch of a button (or screen)

20 hours ago, hoodlum said:

It depends on the effectiveness of the IBIS.  They would need to improve over the X-H1 based on the results from Mirrorlesscomparison (FF equiv).  The X-H1 was more in line with the A7iii for IBIS capability.

EM1mkII: 6-stops @ 24mm, 9-stops @ 24mm SIS, 7-stops @ 150mm, 8-stops @ 200mm SIS

Pan G9: 6-stops @ 36mm, 7-stops @ 36mm SIS, 5-stops @ 300mm DIS

Fuji XH1: 3-stops @ 24mm, 4-stops @ 28mm OIS, 3-stops @50mm, 4+stops @ 150mm OIS

Not much room for improvement. Fujifilm is limited by the X-mount diameter of 44mm, while MFT having 38mm and significantly smaller sensor, meaning that similar to Sony, Fuji sensor does not have a lot of room to move around.

I think MFT is pretty much maxed out as well with how current IBIS mechanisms work with gyro and accelerometers.

The next best thing MFT could do is have a protocol for taking that IBIS sensor data and feeding it to a in camera EIS algorithm or attach it to a clip with metadata and then develop plugins for NLEs to use it.

Honetly the latest Olympus camera with EIS and a Sync-IS lens (like the excellent 24-100 f/4) and a two handle cage rig get pretty close to this with a post warp stabilizer. Especially if you cheese out and put in fake cinescope or 2:1 aspect ratio black bars. 

2 hours ago, androidlad said:

Not much room for improvement. Fujifilm is limited by the X-mount diameter of 44mm, while MFT having 38mm and significantly smaller sensor, meaning that similar to Sony, Fuji sensor does not have a lot of room to move around.

That would make sense.  I did find this interview from a few years ago that stated such.  I guess Fujifilm did find a workaround albeit likely with limitations.

https://fujilove.com/our-highest-priority-is-always-image-quality-interview-with-takashi-ueno-and-shusuke-kozaki-from-fujifilm-japan/

TOMASH: Are you looking into IBIS (in-body-image-stabilization) on future Fujifilm cameras? If not, why?

TAKASHI UENO: First of all, our XF mount is not compatible with IBIS. You may be thinking that our mount size is similar to competitors’ and why Fujifilm cannot do it. The answer is simple: for the sake of image quality. IBIS has both advantages and disadvantages. IBIS moves the sensor in the mount to stabilize the image. To secure the amount of light at any position, the diameter of mount must cover the wider image circle considering the margin of sensor movement. The diameter of our mount was designed for the image circle without IBIS. It means the amount of light at the corners is reduced when the sensor is shifted. We could correct it digitally, but we don’t want to do it: we don’t want to compromise our image quality.

TOMASH: Why didn’t you design a mount in a size, which would allow implementing the IBIS?

TAKASHI UENO: To cover the larger image circle, not only mount size (and body size), but also lens size must be bigger. We are pursuing the best balance of image quality, size and weight of both cameras and lenses, operability and performance. When we were deciding on the design of our mount, we decided to provide the best quality body and lens in comfortable small package as the best balance. And we don’t think this direction will be changed in the future. Our highest priority is always image quality. We hope you agree!

2 hours ago, hoodlum said:

That would make sense.  I did find this interview from a few years ago that stated such.  I guess Fujifilm did find a workaround albeit likely with limitations.

https://fujilove.com/our-highest-priority-is-always-image-quality-interview-with-takashi-ueno-and-shusuke-kozaki-from-fujifilm-japan/

Fuji likely wasn't expecting IBIS to be a major feature, maybe had never even considered it, back when they design the X Mount. 

Guess this often happens, people can't predict the future. Sony make a similar, or even worse mistake, as they never planned at the start to squeeze a FF sensor into the E Mount. 

Canon stumbled with the EOS-M mount, perhaps also never thinking they'd want to put their high end FF sensors into these dainty little consumer bodies. They've gone the path of coming up with a completely new mount instead! Fragmenting their users across EOS M & R mount. 
(Nikon did something kinda similar, dipped their toe in with the Nikon 1 system, then dumped that completely for Z Mount)

Wonder what mount will be the most future proofed to allow new tech to be put into it and built on top without compromise? I'd bet on Nikon Z Mount or L Mount, the newest mounts of them all. But will their late start in the mirrorless market be too late and they've missed the boat in gaining a foothold in market share?

I'm new to all things Fuji.

This footage looks great.

Is the X-H1 a relavent camera in 2020?  How does it compare to the newer Fuji cameras for video?

I noticed the Z-H1 can do 200mbps at 4K.  Can the newer Fuji cameras do this?

As a first time Fuji shooting what would everyone recommend? 

31 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I'm new to all things Fuji.

This footage looks great.

Is the X-H1 a relavent camera in 2020?  How does it compare to the newer Fuji cameras for video?

I noticed the Z-H1 can do 200mbps at 4K.  Can the newer Fuji cameras do this?

As a first time Fuji shooting what would everyone recommend? 

X-T3 unless you can wait for the X-T4. 

X-T3 Specs

4K, 10-Bit, ALL Intra, 4:2:0, 400Mbps internal recording (Up to 30p)

4K/60p (in H264 mode), up to 200Mbps