Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some rather eccentric views: Ken Rockwell says this release makes DSLRs obsolete, recommends selling your Sony and says that Sony should now concentrate on its TV business, while Fuji should concentrate on film and paper. ? Lloyd Chambers thinks the lack of eye detect AF is a downer, while Gordon Laing is not convinced the Z cameras necessarily handle any better than Sony.

And I wasn’t aware until today that the Z6 won’t be available until two months after the Z7.

20 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

He also says in the commentaries that the battery life at least seems better than the CIPA rating. Which is a slight relief.

"One thing I did not mention is battery life. The battery read 44% at the end of our shooting which included 500 or so photos, setting up the menus as well as filming for close to 20 minutes in full frame 4k. Not sure if that is good or bad just yet but a grip is something I will def be using with two batteries."

That is a massive improvement over the US Nikon site ratings info. Looks like the Japanese site rating (85 minutes of video) is more accurate. That is quite excellent news as battery life was a massive blow in the announced specs..

12 hours ago, Stryfe said:

Also not sold on the AF yet.  Not sure how you go from abysmal video AF in your flagship DSLR D850 to class leading AF in one year for the Z series.

Because the Z6 and Z7 have PDAF on sensor, D850 uses CDAF with video - with the crappy results that we all know.

12 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Yeah, a Z6 body/evf/lcd would make a badass a6500 competitor.

And imagine that for the APS-C ones Nikon releases a second version of the F mount adapter with a speedbooster integrated on it. Would be awesome and probably a major selling point.

Never will happen, though.

2 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

And imagine that for the APS-C ones Nikon releases a second version of the F mount adapter with a speedbooster integrated on it. Would be awesome and probably a major selling point.

Never will happen, though.

Nikon building their own F-mount focal reducer, that's a brilliant idea, hadn't thought of that. Someone get Ken Rockwell to start banging that drum!

Chris

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

Pretty unlikely that Sony will be using Nikon's processor. If they use the same processor for the A7SIII that they used in the A7III then it will not have 4K60p, but if they introduce a next gen processor then chances are it will.

AF performance looks pretty crappy based on the video that has appeared so far. Unless they don't have the cameras set up properly (entirely possible) from what I could tell the camera seems slow to find new focus and often is not focusing on the proper point.

I don't know what you saw but this

and this

Does not look crappy to me

You can also add this, which is beyond 99% of what I would call extreme 

3 hours ago, Tone1k said:

DJI can see the importance of 10bit internal recoding in a mid range drone. Why the hell are Sony and Nikon still doing 8bit internal? Massive fail... Especially on Nikon's parts. Move on!

Care to show me what FF camera they have that does 4k 60p internal please, I am curious to know.

23 minutes ago, Django said:

Pretty sweet 10-bit 4:2:2 colors demonstrated here. Slow-mo seems pretty sharp / alias free & AF face tracking does good job on the gimbal (ibis?) shot. 

My Fuji system might be getting the axe soon.. 

Lovely colors and skin tones, they just look right, even when the white balance is off, which is where the Sonys always struggle, even the latest ones.

34 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

For DPreview review/preview for the camera and their first thorough preview of the camera.

"Autofocus in video is up there with the best. Tracking and refocusing on subjectives is intuitive and reliable... besting what Canon and Sony offer"

https://***URL removed***/reviews/nikon-z7-first-impressions-review/6

I am looking at this:

Z7 footage starts just after about 6 minutes in. The camera is clearly having a tough time refocussing.

36 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

What is the actual battery life of this camera, any one knows? I just watched an event hosted by B&H and they are saying way more than the 330 shots. 

I'm guessing we won't know fully until shooters get to spend more time with it. The consensus seems to be though that it's pretty good, significantly better than what Nikon is advertising. 

6 hours ago, pszilard said:

I think I prefer the Fujifilm X-H1. Better size and price and video with 1 caveat: moire/staircasing. Wonder how the Nikon will perform in real life.

You have a full frame camera for $ 350 more and you talk about value to money? The Z6 will have full oversampling, which mean the whole 6k sensor is read to give a 4k image which I guess will have very low aliasing and moire.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

I am looking at this:

Z7 footage starts just after about 6 minutes in. The camera is clearly having a tough time refocussing.

Look at all the other videos and Dpreview who spent time with the camera and not only 2 hours. There are setting when you can change the speed of focusing in video, you can even change it and save it so that the camera stick to it. 

1 hour ago, Young said:

Also from dpreview: ”The internal capture is 8-bit at up to 100Mbps.” It's a shame, but seeing the kind of magic they worked with the d750:s low bitrate it's probably usable.

They made an error, it is stated 144 mbs on Nikon website. The only strange thing is that they did not specify the 1080p bitrate, or I missed it.

56 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

What is the actual battery life of this camera, any one knows? I just watched an event hosted by B&H and they are saying way more than the 330 shots. 

Thats what Jared Polin first had experience "One thing I did not mention is battery life. The battery read 44% at the end of our shooting which included 500 or so photos, setting up the menus as well as filming for close to 20 minutes in full frame 4k. Not sure if that is good or bad just yet but a grip is something I will def be using with two batteries."

23 minutes ago, Tone1k said:

Sensor size doesn't really come into the equation 

Whaaaaaaat, I won't be surprised if you tell me next the earth is flat. If you don't even understand that basic principle of heat and chip/sensor size, perhaps if Nikon further added four powerful propellers to the Z6 it might work. Hey look we have Nikon new Z6 version 2 with 4k 60p and they copied DJI and added four fans on it, now you can even fly it and we can go back to silent movies.