Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Savannah Miller said:

By default it changes the aperture, so no.

Oh well, refer to my 1st point then haha. 

If something can spin the dial while filming, move that something away. That dial placement is pretty standard on a lot of camera bodies, so I'm sure many users will be used to not fiddling with it once its set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, jonpais said:

Actually, IBIS is excellent for use with cinema lenses like the Veydras; and IBIS helps even when flying on a gimbal. 

I'd say even more - without possibility to use gimbal for faster running movements, I have been forced to run beside and along with my runner/shooted-heroine just with GH5 and 10mm manual focus lens - and app. 80% or more of (pretty long!) shots turn out completely usable with slight addition of new Resolve 15 stabilization engine (or even without it for the shorter shots) - even in 24p recording. Unfortunately, position of the sun prevent me to get usable circle-around shots because of me-casting-shadow to the subject - but these shots also were even more usable non-shaking quality wise.

Sometimes I really can't understand how anybody could minimize fantastic usability and indispensable value of good IBIS calling it non-pro... Except for totally controled conditions, which are more rare than not in my case, and probably in the case of the most users of cameras of this price range... So it was one of the examples - with gimbal I'd been too clumsy for faster run, so only other solution besides combination of UWlens+Ibis might be - to be driven in some car or so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, anonim said:

I'd say even more - without possibility to use gimbal for faster running movements, I have been forced to run beside and along with my runner/shooted-heroine just with GH5 and 10mm manual focus lens - and app. 80% or more of (pretty long!) shots turn out completely usable with slight addition of new Resolve 15 stabilization engine (or even without it for the shorter shots). Unfortunately, position of the sun prevent me to get usable circle-around shots because of me-casting-shadow to the subject - but these shots also were even more usable non-shaking quality wise.

Sometimes I really can't understand how anybody could minimize fantastic usability and indispensable value of good IBIS calling it non-pro... Except for totally controled conditions, which are more rare than not in my case, and probably in the case of the most users of cameras of this price range... So it was one of the examples - with gimbal I'd been too clumsy for faster run, so only other solution besides combination of UWlens+Ibis might be - to be driven in some car or so...

This guy can do it without IBIS, but he’s been at it a while now. 

https://youtu.be/l_r4k8TbGIQ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, being pretty athletic (sorry to mention) I could run equally fast also with gimbal - but my problem is that, if I fall down on the slippery grass, I couldn't easy provide new gimbal as this guy - :) who is, btw, brilliant instructor and I gladly watch his lessons - so price for the risk is too high for me :)

20 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This guy can do it without IBIS, but he’s been at it a while now. 

https://youtu.be/l_r4k8TbGIQ

 

 

17 hours ago, jonpais said:

Could be. Happens occasionally. But nowhere near as bad as shaky handheld.

I forgot to mention - I had to run with Atomos Flame on top of the cage... So sometimes I had to recalling you and regret why my fate is always so hard - instead of shooting lovely "phony" Huang, I had to run for triathlon champion Vida...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jonpais said:

TLDR; are there physical dials for aperture and shutter speed/angle?

From BM site.

"You get controls for recording start/stop, still photos, ISO, shutter, aperture, white balance, function buttons, power on/off and more."

If you go down a little bit to pictures of the body the picture on the right side shows a Aperture Button.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

Plus there is the 3 buttons on the top that you can assign to anything I guess. But I would imagine you have to use the scroll wheel out front to change values.

I know there is a slider thingy at the bottom of the 5" display to change Apertures. Probably does LCD brightness, etc. also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the most facinating camera I have ever seen in my life. Not just because of its technical ability or its ridiculously low price. Its the sheer marketing balls that BlackMagic has to challange Panasonic and Sony in such a cut-throat way. (Canon is so far out of this discussion that we cant even include them)

Here is the shocking part. If Sony didnt develop such an incredably advanced STARVIS IMX294 sensor, (or IMX272 ) would we be this excited for this camera? If this camera used a common CMOSIS or Fairchild MFT sensor that topped out at 800 ISO.....would all of these other great features be wasted?

Is the image sensor of this camera driving this entire show?

Has Sony single-handedly enabled or gifted the "small"  Micro 4/3 format with the power to actually compete with large sensor cameras?...(something M4/3 could never do in the past?)

Sony Semi Conductor company seems to really have turned the screws on Sony Imaging Company. Sony Imaging is forced to compete against new cameras that are using Sony's best core technology. They are competing against their own patents!

This is REALLY a massive industry shift...a true earthquake. We are going to see the shockwaves from this for years and years to come.

Once tbe genie is out, its VERY hard to push him back into his bottle!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see BMD competing in this space with Sony at all. Panasonic, for sure. Sony’s got brilliant full frame cameras with fast AF-C, insane low light ability and most of all, it’s a pure hybrid camera that also happens to shoot magnificent stills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well outside of A7SII, sony cameras are not extremely good in lowlight.  At least they aren't better than other brands like Kinefinity, Canon Cinema Series, etc.  I feel like their internal noise reduction hides how noisy their cameras really are.

Although we have no info yet, the Kinefinity Mavo and Mavo LF are way more impressive for me.  Those cameras are TINY.  I have no idea how they cram the features that they do into such a small body.  Blackmagic has issues doing large sensor 4K and higher frame rates in a small body yet Kinefinity seems to have no issues. Their 6K full frame camera is exactly the same size and weight as the Terra 4K model with a huge sensor and double the processing speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Well outside of A7SII, sony cameras are not extremely good in lowlight.  At least they aren't better than other brands like Kinefinity, Canon Cinema Series, etc.  I feel like their internal noise reduction hides how noisy their cameras really are.

Although we have no info yet, the Kinefinity Mavo and Mavo LF are way more impressive for me.  Those cameras are TINY.  I have no idea how they cram the features that they do into such a small body.  Blackmagic has issues doing large sensor 4K and higher frame rates in a small body yet Kinefinity seems to have no issues. Their 6K full frame camera is exactly the same size and weight as the Terra 4K model with a huge sensor and double the processing speed.

I think you might be mistaken there. The a7 III is outstanding in low light. I might also add that comparing cinema cameras to hybrids is comparing apples to oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Here is the shocking part. If Sony didnt develop such an incredably advanced STARVIS IMX294 sensor, (or IMX272 ) would we be this excited for this camera? If this camera used a common CMOSIS or Fairchild MFT sensor that topped out at 800 ISO.....would all of these other great features be wasted?

Is the image sensor of this camera driving this entire show?

Has Sony single-handedly enabled or gifted the "small"  Micro 4/3 format with the power to actually compete with large sensor cameras?...(something M4/3 could never do in the past?)

The Sony IMX294 is no better, but actually worse than the APS-C sensors Sony built into the a6300/6500 and the full frame sensors used in the A7 series. The a6300/6500 sensor has higher resolution, is better in low light and even has triple native ISO (as some people have found out by analyzing its RAW stills). If you use dpreview's camera comparison tool, then the RAW stills of the GH5s are clearly behind the RAW stills of the a6300/6500, although those cameras are a couple of years older.

The only difference Blackmagic really makes is that its cameras record the sensor signal in RAW, which can make a huge difference for the quality of the final video image if you use highest-quality debayering, denoising and color correction in post (as opposed to a quick-and-dirty, low-quality, high-compression pipeline in-camera).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I don’t see BMD competing in this space with Sony at all. Panasonic, for sure. Sony’s got brilliant full frame cameras with fast AF-C, insane low light ability and most of all, it’s a pure hybrid camera that also happens to shoot magnificent stills. 

Yeah true, but they are not Cine cameras like this new BM is. You should damn near be able to make a big time, full blown movie with this new BM 4K. Not so much with a Sony A7 mk III.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:



Although we have no info yet, the Kinefinity Mavo and Mavo LF are way more impressive for me.  Those cameras are TINY.  I have no idea how they cram the features that they do into such a small body.  Blackmagic has issues doing large sensor 4K and higher frame rates in a small body yet Kinefinity seems to have no issues. Their 6K full frame camera is exactly the same size and weight as the Terra 4K model with a huge sensor and double the processing speed.

True, but can you afford to buy the Kinefinity Mavo and Mavo LF,  and everything else you need to make it happen?? That is the issue. I think most can afford the new 4K BMPCC. Hell I would rather have a Arri Alexa LF XS if money is no object.  And no it is not small, and there is a reason for it. It takes like 3 to 4 people to shoot a big time Cine camera comfortably, would be a bit hard to get that many peoples hands on a Kinefinity Mavo and Mavo LF at one time. Horses for Courses. Red cameras in reality are too damn small also. But they, like the Kinefinity are more portable.

13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

If you read what I wrote, that is precisely what I just said. 

By God I think you are right. My bad. :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that in any serious evaluation of BM impact and consequences it is аdvisable to consider one highly important factor - pure personality behind. If I am not wrong, Grant Petty has total drivе-control of BM policy, and it seems to me that it is a man devoted to personal vision and strong feeling of his world-mission. For him, profit alone is not The most important goal - although of course important - but craving to make/left some relevant trace behind him. Some sort of Steve Jobs, maybe... What BM done with Resolve is wonder - and it seems that Petty decisively follow his idea of democratizing movie-making to the utmost boundaries... So, to me all other reasons/aspects of this one attempt are simply executive and secondary - it seems to me that here we are also witnessing to higher evolution of someone noble self-actualization, in the meaning that, say, Abraham Maslow gave to that syntagm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, anonim said:

I think that in any serious evaluation of BM impact and consequences it is аdvisable to consider one highly important factor - pure personality behind. If I am not wrong, Grant Petty has total drivе-control of BM policy, and it seems to me that it is a man devoted to personal vision and strong feeling of his world-mission. For him, profit alone is not The most important goal - although of course important - but craving to make/left some relevant trace behind him. Some sort of Steve Jobs, maybe... What BM done with Resolve is wonder - and it seems that Petty decisively follow his idea of democratizing movie-making to the utmost boundaries... So, to me all other reasons/aspects of this one attempt are simply executive and secondary - it seems to me that here we are also witnessing to higher evolution of someone noble self-actualization, in the meaning that, say, Abraham Maslow gave to that syntagm...

And that is one of many reasons I want to support BM more and more down the road. He is on a mission to bring Film Making to the masses on the cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinefinity Terra, Mavo, Mavo LF are damn small.  They are probably half the size of a RED camera and about 1/10 the price.  The features of the MAVO on paper looks on-par with the RED and in some ways MORE impressive.  RED doesn't have the processing power for 5K and 6K prores like kinefinity does, and there's certainly not built-in wireless monitoring.  The Kinefinity camera accessories are very cheap and the cameras are actually quite affordable.  The PRO kit of the Terra 4K has everything you need including cases for about the same price as the Ursa Mini Pro.

Normally indie camera brands are playing catchup to RED, Arri, etc. but now that most of these brands have figured out how to make good cameras they can now focus their efforts on innovating too.  I don't know how Kinefinity gets their cameras so small because even Blackmagic has problems with making small cameras that Kinefinity seems to not have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Kinefinity Terra, Mavo, are damn small.  They are probably half the size of a RED camera and about 1/10 the price.  The features of the MAVO on paper looks on-par with the RED and in some ways MORE impressive.  RED doesn't have the processing power for 5K and 6K prores like kinefinity does, and there's certainly not built-in wireless monitoring.  The Kinefinity camera accessories are very cheap and the cameras are actually quite affordable.  The PRO kit of the Terra 4K has everything you need including cases for about the same price as the Ursa Mini Pro.

Normally indie camera brands are playing catchup to RED, Arri, etc. but now that most of these brands have figured out how to make good cameras they can now focus their efforts on innovating too.  I don't know how Kinefinity gets their cameras so small because even Blackmagic has problems with making small cameras that Kinefinity seems to not have.

Yeah but on paper I don't like small Cine cameras. I want buttons out the ass. I don't want to menu dive for this and this. At least the new 4K BMPCC has a 5" screen to look at. in a small package. Now if you are into Gimbal work a small body is desirable. But I grew up using Glidecams so you can fly just about anything on one of them. I still think they look more natural than a electronic Gimbal if you are good with one. Takes a lot of patience and practice to do it though!

Plus we don't even know the price of the Mavo LF yet. Not hard to be cheaper than a Red but I bet they are not going to give it away. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

I use glidecam too that's why I want smaller size.  Maybe I'm a wimp but I hate carrying cams over 5 ibs without vest and arm.  With weights it becomes around 10 and that's too much for long shooting.

Yeah I am too old for that myself LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...