Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, kye said:

Aren't we simultaneously having two conversations?

  1. The P4K is way too sharp!!!  4K and modern cameras aren't cinematic, the Alexa / older BM cameras are all lower res and have magic.
  2. The P4K is way too soft!!!!  BRAW is clearly inferior because it smooths fine detail.

My 2 cents, and as I see it, it's not about sharpness but about (at the moment questionably) better/higher discerning detail of image. Someone 1) calls/argumenst it is "false" or at least "not necessarily" true, someone 2)  calls/advocates it as real. It seems that both side in discussion are calling history of previous argumentation as some sort of adding authoritative proof. 

As I see, careful (Resolve's "super scale") upscalling Micro/Pocket/CC 1080p image gives pretty identical result detail-wise as best P4K Braw codec. Or, at least, yet nobody argue that such conclusion is matter of perceptive miopy or so. My personal conclusion is that cDNG 1080p of previous cameras simply have more initial detail richness that allow upscale to 4k space results comparatively unnoticed. Peace may be find in conclusion that at any case image is more than enough rich and wonderful - with advantage that newer camera brings it with m43 sensor and more useful plethora of lens-posibilities,  brings it wit 5inch monitor and advanced lowlight capability, with more economic and faster editing files etc.

Furthermore, BM as company sometimes put us all in specific situation: giving, obviously, comparatively far best/the most artistic friendly products and (I'd say exclusively) fulfilling some sort of true/honest cinema-art liberation mission, BM also repeatedly makes some too-hurry give-then-back claims and promises, and than tries - with little bit sophistical and always delaying manner - to explain that such things actually doesn't exist or convincing users that actually doesn't matter. So someone 1) remembers/keeps in mind more all matchless qualities/offering that BM brings to market and stay content and forgivable about such occasional  circumstances, and someone 2) following its own temperament that don't at all tolerates sophistic "not necessarily but might be"  ingredient in argumentation and general treatment, tends to  insist on its own perception, risking to seems ungrateful.

I hope that BM and all of us will/may profiting from both direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, kye said:

Aren't we simultaneously having two conversations?

  1. The P4K is way too sharp!!!  4K and modern cameras aren't cinematic, the Alexa / older BM cameras are all lower res and have magic.
  2. The P4K is way too soft!!!!  BRAW is clearly inferior because it smooths fine detail.

Not to mention conversations in other threads that also include:

  1. Who needs 4K - 1080 is fine and you can't tell the difference and ...... blah blah blah
  2. 8K!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!  😎😎

You might be confusing sharpness with detail and/or resolution. They aren't the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

 

thanks for that, been wondering for awhile how those filters compare. i kinda like the promist 1/8 seems just a little less pronounced or more subtle perhaps. 1/8 is the weakest effect right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, anonim said:

My 2 cents, and as I see it, it's not about sharpness but about (at the moment questionably) better/higher discerning detail of image. Someone 1) calls/argumenst it is "false" or at least "not necessarily" true, someone 2)  calls/advocates it as real. It seems that both side in discussion are calling history of previous argumentation as some sort of adding authoritative proof. 

As I see, careful (Resolve's "super scale") upscalling Micro/Pocket/CC 1080p image gives pretty identical result detail-wise as best P4K Braw codec. Or, at least, yet nobody argue that such conclusion is matter of perceptive miopy or so. My personal conclusion is that cDNG 1080p of previous cameras simply have more initial detail richness that allow upscale to 4k space results comparatively unnoticed. Peace may be find in conclusion that at any case image is more than enough rich and wonderful - with advantage that newer camera brings it with m43 sensor and more useful plethora of lens-posibilities,  brings it wit 5inch monitor and advanced lowlight capability, with more economic and faster editing files etc.

Furthermore, BM as company sometimes put us all in specific situation: giving, obviously, comparatively far best/the most artistic friendly products and (I'd say exclusively) fulfilling some sort of true/honest cinema-art liberation mission, BM also repeatedly makes some too-hurry give-then-back claims and promises, and than tries - with little bit sophistical and always delaying manner - to explain that such things actually doesn't exist or convincing users that actually doesn't matter. So someone 1) remembers/keeps in mind more all matchless qualities/offering that BM brings to market and stay content and forgivable about such occasional  circumstances, and someone 2) following its own temperament that don't at all tolerates sophistic "not necessarily but might be"  ingredient in argumentation and general treatment, tends to  insist on its own perception, risking to seems ungrateful.

I hope that BM and all of us will/may profiting from both direction.

Very well stated.  I think we just have to admit that the original and the PK4 are 2 different cameras output wise, both in a good way, and that neither one is going to look like the other one no matter what we do. And that is a good thing. We all have a choice. And the older ones are not that much money so, if you are lucky, you can have both. To me All the BMD cameras are a gift from heaven for what they cost. So we ought to be happy which ever route we go. But yeah, dropping  cDNG option on the new ones is a bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so it begins... in stock and  being sold at a discount used.  I figure if BH Photo selles it for $1129.95 with Resolve (used) - at least that’s what the description said when it was available this morning, then we will see it for $1000 without Resolve on eBay in the next few months... maybe less depending on the condition and the firmware version... 

 

5A6DAACC-ABEA-4E34-AA6E-CABD36E72CF1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predicted 850 Dollars a long time ago on here without the Dongle. I bet it will hit that mark soon. Hell on paper it was in reality "only" a 995 Dollar camera new figuring you got Resolve Studio with it that cost 299 Dollars. So in reality you are loosing 150 bucks on the camera. Big deal. The good news is that will drive the price down for the older ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JordanWright said:

if it does hit that price and is readily available, ill buy another body

Hell. I already have three P4Ks. At a price below $1000, I might buy another one (or three...) :) 

There are (obviously) some limitations with the P4Ks, but they produce fine images, especially considering the price. I mean, we can shoot (semi) RAW footage on affordable cameras on affordable media. We truly live in special times...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, ignore reality and pure facts because some dude had to dope out a way to tell the world the (hi)story he invented the wheel; when it was already discovered in fact much time earlier. BTW, and without artifacts, but introduced in the meantime along the new (re)discovery process.

The emperor has no clothes now because of the belly button.

E : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Yeah, ignore reality and pure facts because some dude had to dope out a way to tell the world the (hi)story he invented the wheel; when it was already discovered in fact much time earlier. BTW, and without artifacts, but introduced in the meantime along the new (re)discovery process.

The emperor has no clothes now because of the belly button.

E : -)

'Without artefacts' - please explain what reality this is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I predicted 850 Dollars a long time ago on here without the Dongle. I bet it will hit that mark soon. Hell on paper it was in reality "only" a 995 Dollar camera new figuring you got Resolve Studio with it that cost 299 Dollars. So in reality you are loosing 150 bucks on the camera. Big deal. The good news is that will drive the price down for the older ones.

if they hit that price anytime soon, your going to see a grown man cry. :blush:.

17 hours ago, Shirozina said:

 I may buy another one and sell my 'original' model to a cDNG'ist for a healthy profit!

one of the reasons i bought the bmp4k was because it had cdng. i was sorta thinking along the lines that it being a series of singular images, i might be able to stack and blend images similar to what you do with astophotography  and macro photography, not had a chance to test that avenue of thought out yet. no idea if its good idea or not but its on the todo list 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the new version of Resolve Lite have the BRaw Panel? 

Now that the camera is in stock, a couple BMPCC 4K cameras are popping up without the dongle but even though the software is free with the camera... on the used market, it depreciates to a thousand or less without the software... even if the camera is new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if that's because with Braw, you kind of need Resolve to use it - or be on Windows and buy the Premiere plugin separately.

Great news for people who already have one camera with the software though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the camera was released, we were told you needed Resolve Studio to edit the footage. But when it was released, BRaw didn’t exist... so if the BRaw Panel is included with Resolve Lite, I guess it doesn’t?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Does the new version of Resolve Lite have the BRaw Panel? 

Now that the camera is in stock, a couple BMPCC 4K cameras are popping up without the dongle but even though the software is free with the camera... on the used market, it depreciates to a thousand or less without the software... even if the camera is new.

I used BRaw with Resolve Lite on an old Macbook Pro, never installed the full version.
No issues, was like editing Prores or cDNG, smooth sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...