Jump to content

Whats up with No Film School?


Mattias Burling
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Super Members

That place used to be cool.

  • The comments on the page and their facebook have been so toxic lately that there imo is absolutely no point in having any sort of discussion there.
  • There is not one single article, about anything that's not met with nothing but hate. It could be an article about world peace and everyone gets mad and want war.
  • No moderation.
  • At least the articles where decent imo. And then they started to slip, click bait, bad fact checking and so on. The latest example was the success story that Leica has gone so far into the green that the investor that holds a minority share of 45% is ready to make a return and become rich. Some bogus bloggers made up a story about it and that's what NOFS is reporting. Not the original content from a credible news agency. They are actually speculating that a bank selling a share with no money passing through Leica would "save" a very profitable an growing company... sigh.

And that's just one example. Normally I don't get to upset but I actually liked NOFS. I thought it was a great blog. But lately.. I don't know. There still is alot good stuff and fascinating articles.
Forums have been on a steady decline for a few years. The whole positive video movement is long dead imo.
But there at least was the blogs and this forum is still on the up-n-up if you ask me.

I don't really know what my point is, just venting.
Lately I have accepted that its mostly just the "Ass-Burgers" left online (wrote a blog about that a year or so ago). The pros and artists are out shooting and the rest have moved on to other hobbies.

This blog and forum I think is the only place where creativity and art can coexist with the charts people.
But its a battle, I see the scene in 300 where they are pushing them out of the passage with their shields.

Sorry for the rambling. Like I said, just venting.
Stay strong :)
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hey Mattias,

this forum has inspired me to shoot. Maybe without this community I wouldnt have been a nerd with an obsession for 8bit Panny Lumix color:)

As long as we are keeping up the manners, this great forum is gonna stay. I bought a Tevidon thanks to you. 16mm 1.8, beauty! :)

Just too lazy to hassle with purchasing an adapter now.

cheers!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Lately I have accepted that its mostly just the "Ass-Burgers" left online (wrote a blog about that a year or so ago).

If you use an insulting term for people who are neurologically divergent as a general insult, then you're not in a great position to criticize. This is no different from using racist or homophobic language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

The audience shifts over time and keeps evolving with the site. NFS have written pretty much nothing but articles designed to reel in clicks so their audience has shifted to the lowest common denominator of people. It's what you get if you have to pay for your visitors or entice them with headlines, rather than building a community around real content and real filmmakers / enthusiasts.

The people left online overall are the same as ever, not just trolls but real people - pros and artists still use the internet, they have not gone away! It's just that maybe they don't want to read or engage with a shit website. The problem is that there are too many shit websites around and it's hurting the internet generally. Most sites are completely under the spell of clickbate and bad content for hits and ad revenue... I have completely lost faith in pretty much all of the photographic / video sites to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People have argued and debated on the internet since the beginning on USENET (even before on dial-up BBS's). One reason people are in a much more dramatic space is due to the constant negative divisive programming coming daily from mainstream media and the frequent reminder of world war III starting with N. Korea. India is now in a standoff with China. At the same time the US government is under assault from the so-called deep state, run by the bankers looking to hold onto power after the impending global financial reset. Consciously and unconsciously this results in an increase in negative behavior online.

We can keep our heads down and fiddle with our cameras and gear, or we can get out and make films and videos designed to bring unity, show how we can work together, how we can survive when the financial reset happens, how we can survive if WW 3 happens, and even better how we can all stand up and voice our global desire: war is not an acceptable solution to the financial crisis.

If this is one of the last forums where useful information is shared and people get along, then the pattern is an example to apply to other forums, news site comment sections, Facebook and so on. Now more than ever in all our lifetimes is the time to figure out how to work together non-competitively and with kindness, for the survival of everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
58 minutes ago, meanwhile said:

If you use an insulting term for people who are neurologically divergent as a general insult, then you're not in a great position to criticize. This is no different from using racist or homophobic language.

Please reread the post, check the spelling in a dictionary, watch all seasons of South Park, learn to take a joke and then get back to me ;)

I'm further from being a racist and a homo-fob or derogatory to people with disabilities than you. Unless you also have worked officially in a government agency with these exact questions. And also have some sort of training backing it up.
Not trying to have a pissing contest with you, just feeling you out to see if you are just an arm chair crusader or seriously offended. If so, sorry you feel that way :)

BTW :)

"2. Assburgers can also be used to describe anti-social or otherwise retarded, socially inept, or offensive person(s) or groups of people who are tolerated, even welcomed within a particular group, because the host(s) lacks courage or incentive to stand up for moral principles to kick them out."

Again, not talking about this place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The audience shifts over time and keeps evolving with the site. NFS have written pretty much nothing but articles designed to reel in clicks so their audience has shifted to the lowest common denominator of people. It's what you get if you have to pay for your visitors or entice them with headlines, rather than building a community around real content and real filmmakers.

 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Agreed. That 16mm is cool for sure get on that adapter! :)

 

I hate it, when I´m out of likes for the day! :)

 

1 hour ago, meanwhile said:

If you use an insulting term for people who are neurologically divergent as a general insult, then you're not in a great position to criticize. This is no different from using racist or homophobic language.

 

We are not the ones described above. I agree with your general remark, just not with the occasion. I mean, none of the EOSHD crowd would need to feel described by "Ass burger" anyway. 

Mattias post is more valid than ever. It´s a threat to forum culture how platforms like Cinema5D and Dpreview have been turning into clickbait for clickbaited audiences.

By the way, clickbait, here is mine :)

GX85, HD 24p, 12mm SLRMagic, natural profile with contrast and color 0, rest-5, unlit, Teaser for my upcoming Vampire short.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Please reread the post, check the spelling in a dictionary, watch all seasons of South Park, learn to take a joke and then get back to me ;)

All I can say is stop being stew-pid, u more-on.

People with aspergers know perfectly well that you are referring to them when you say "ass burger" and that you are using the comparison in a derogatory way. Excusing yourself by saying that other people should have more of a sense of humour so that can you insult them is, frankly, pathetic. These are people who are more intelligent and much less ass-like than you are showing yourself to be, but who still have more than share of problems.

....So I suggest that you take a big dose of grow-up pills and stop making other people more miserable just because you think it is funny.

Also, the story about Leica originated with Reuters, so, yes, a proper news source -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blackstone-leica-camera-sale-idUSKBN1AI22V?lr=lr

...So you're about as smart as you sensitive, adult, and funny...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

"Meanwhile" leave it out. This isn't the place to be language police. It's a place to talk about the subject raised in the top post!

 

I thought, this thread would be ideal to promote my shortfilm.

I thought this is the place to sparkle enthusiasm, if one shoots with contrast and color at zero! Hot darn, I must be a stinker! :) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, meanwhile said:

All I can say is stop being stew-pid, u more-on.

People with aspergers know perfectly well that you are referring to them when you say "ass burger" and that you are using the comparison in a derogatory way. Excusing yourself by saying that other people should have more of a sense of humour so that can you insult them is, frankly, pathetic. These are people who are more intelligent and much less ass-like than you are showing yourself to be, but who still have more than share of problems.

 

 

Hey, he did not mean people with aspergers. That´s for sure. You don´t need to feel upset, believe me. regards, Marty

 

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Apparently this thread is a place to call out a well liked member for his use of non-PC terms from South Park!!

Maybe I should rename EOSHD to No Jokes School.

 

Sometimes people get upset in an instant. Nothing to gain from that situation. Would be beautiful, if this thread can go back to its topic.

I will avoid posting my teaser for a third time on this forum, ahm, I meant for the forth time. You suckers are just too hard to be baited! :)

Andrew, your chance to push the like button under my video. It´s a GX85 for the sake of camerateasin and lovin!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jcs said:

People have argued and debated on the internet since the beginning on USENET (even before on dial-up BBS's). One reason people are in a much more dramatic space is due to the constant negative divisive programming coming daily from mainstream media and the frequent reminder of world war III starting with N. Korea. India is now in a standoff with China. At the same time the US government is under assault from the so-called deep state, run by the bankers looking to hold onto power after the impending global financial reset. Consciously and unconsciously this results in an increase in negative behavior online.

We can keep our heads down and fiddle with our cameras and gear, or we can get out and make films and videos designed to bring unity, show how we can work together, how we can survive when the financial reset happens, how we can survive if WW 3 happens, and even better how we can all stand up and voice our global desire: war is not an acceptable solution to the financial crisis.

If this is one of the last forums where useful information is shared and people get along, then the pattern is an example to apply to other forums, news site comment sections, Facebook and so on. Now more than ever in all our lifetimes is the time to figure out how to work together non-competitively and with kindness, for the survival of everyone.

Out of likes. Fundamental post!

 

 

45 minutes ago, meanwhile said:

Also, the story about Leica originated with Reuters, so, yes, a proper news source -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blackstone-leica-camera-sale-idUSKBN1AI22V?lr=lr

 

Blackstone are cunts and dicks. To say it with love, sorry, dicks and cunts to have connected you to Blackstone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't been following many of those sorta sites or forums (NoFilmSchool, Cinema5D, REDuser, dvxuser, etc) as they always seemed to be for the bit more hardcore cinematographers and fanboys. Especially the forums, with a maze of subforums and early 2000's layout and users with no patience for newbies. No country or normal men. Nah, apart from rumorsites this is about the only place keep checking on the regular. EOSHD has managed to keep a fresh approach and the audience as well as the curator allow for diverse content, though the main theme is: creativity meets common sense. Most revolves around practical and affordable gear and how to use 'em to bring visions to life, not exclusive to people already well-established in the industry. There's a general vibe of chillness, openness, positivity and creativity that makes the forum content range go wherever the crowd takes it. You'll find a lot of passionate enthusiasts here, like me, that might not feel at home that well at other places (where the thing that counts seems to be being init as a professional, rather than doing it for the passion). Apart from EOSHD I think that for the more interesting informative and opinionated content you'll have to head towards YouTube, some channels there are great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats one of the internet problems nowadays. Everyone has always something to say...something to add to a certain topic but the reality is that thats not true at all. Society as brought us here and keep forcing us to do that (to post something, to write an opinion, to share your own life and so on). And in most cases that results in posts and dialogues with insults and etc. Thats why i rarely post on facebook and although i visit eoshd everyday i dont respond or post a lot simply because i dont have anything to add in terms of knowledge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...