5d Mark iii ML Raw or Gh5?

Boygetslost

Has anyone used both 5d Mark iii Raw and the Gh5 for video work? Im going to buy one but I cant decide which?

I had a Blackmagic Cinema Camera which i sold, though I loved the image!

I had a Sony 6300 which I sold, im not getting on with Sonys that much.

Im seeing some really good footage with the Gh5.

But I still keep coming back to Canon ML raw, which has such a great image.

So do I go for a Gh5 with a speed booster or a 5d mark iii??

Thanks

Chris :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The answer is... it depends!

5D3 ultimately has better image quality (stands up to fierce grading) so for a short film I would choose that. However preview in high res modes is hard to use, so if focus pulling is important you might be better off sticking to 1080.

For promos, GH5 all the way. It kicks the 5Ds ass here. I have used ML for corporate work with great success, but I prefer the GH5 for its usability.

Thanks for the response!

I have seen alot of highlight clipping in the footage I have seen online, how have you found it and how does it compare to the 5d?

How have you found the IBIS on non IS lenses, so using more vintage lenses?

With the GH5 a lot of the images I have seen, seem really sharp! I always like the softer more organic look of the 5d. What are you thoughts on that?

Is the VLOG update worth it?

Raw has the ability for strong grading, but do you feel that if you were filming something that you would normally shoot on your 5d, on GH5 do feel you could get that same quality of image? Or do you think to yourself "the 5d would have got me a better image"

Raw can save your ass in recovering blown highlights or shadow detail... but so can controlling light. Provided you are doing that, I believe the GH5 will have the latitude to correct any mistakes you make. I think raw is really about saving you from your mistakes. However, ideally, nothing would need correction in post, as you would have controlled your set. So you need to assess what you are shooting and your lighting skills. That said,  the useability of the GH5 will be something you utilize every time you handle it. For myself, I picked up the GH5. Never considered a 5DMk3 as I want to be able to work fast and efficiently. It arrives today,  so my opinion may evolve after some shutter time.

12 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks for the response!

I have seen alot of highlight clipping in the footage I have seen online, how have you found it and how does it compare to the 5d?

How have you found the IBIS on non IS lenses, so using more vintage lenses?

With the GH5 a lot of the images I have seen, seem really sharp! I always like the softer more organic look of the 5d. What are you thoughts on that?

Is the VLOG update worth it?

Raw has the ability for strong grading, but do you feel that if you were filming something that you would normally shoot on your 5d, on GH5 do feel you could get that same quality of image? Or do you think to yourself "the 5d would have got me a better image"

I'm on my phone so apologies for this abbreviated set of answers:

Highlight clipping - protect highlights when exposing and it's not an issue. GH5 has slightly more dynamic range than 5D3

IBIS on manual lenses works very well

If you want softer footage blur it 

VLOG is a must - more DR and control in post

5D is more malleable. There may be cases where you can't get the same look with GH5. 

13 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Short films and some branded content promo projects.

If you are looking for the best image in your projects and you are proud of how good you are detecting soft footage, incorrect exposure, artifacts, etc, your only option is 5D3ML RAW…..on the contrary, if your priority is a system easy to use, which provide you a good image with little work during post, then GH5 is the path….

Thanks for all the awesome replies.

Mercer, thanks for the videos, great examples!

The thing is for me is before the choice was pretty easy, in my sort of price range, i had to pick between usability or top image quality.   Blackmagic or Magic lantern vs Sony A7s Gh4..etc 

All great cameras but it was pretty much 8bit codecs or harder to use systems.  (This of course does not include higher priced systems or adding external recorders)

But my thoughts on the GH5 is it seems like the difference is getting smaller. Before with something like the GH4, the colour science was not quite for me (i had it pre- VLOG) and the internal codec was too compressed.

But with the GH5, better colours then before, VLOG, better codecs and soon to improved 400m codec. I feel the gap is closing (Of course raw is raw and I much prefer shooting raw).

I suppose my main concern is I loved the organic character i got with the BMCC and the 5d raw. Will I be able to get this with the GH5?

hyalinejim Thanks again for your detailed reply, I looked at the video comparison you put up, you really made the GH5 sing, one of the best examples I have seen so far. Do you have any other videos you shot on the GH5? Love to see one.

Also how is the GH5 in the shadows? With the BMCC I was confident with the highlights. WIth 5d, I wasnt as much so I protected them a little more, knowing the shadows would be ok.

Well... GH5 is the easy solution. Everyone and their mother will be carrying one, doing work that looks alike. 5D3 RAW on the other hand is more work. But also more rewarding. It has a look that can't be purchased for cheap. Fullframe raw. What other camera does that?

43 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

GH5 hands down

Had the 5DIII. To many hassles to deal with especially with RAW. GH5 image is great. 

I wouldn't say hands down. ML Raw with a 5D3 is pretty simple and offers all of the same filmmaking tools that the GH5 offers and more. I have yet to have one single issue while shooting. And the only problem involves a slightly longer post, but that is even lessened now with MLVFS and the GH5 footage still needs to be converted to an intermediate codec anyway, so it's pretty much the same amount of time. Storage and media are the only obstacles but hardly an issue if you're trying to get the most cinematic image.

I would say that GH5 with a speedbooster is more viable & future proof as a solution. You can achieve a look close to 5d 14bit raw if you expose and grade correctly. At least this is my experience since i have used both. If Resolve is your main NLE, 5d raw workflow is not much more time consuming than working with gh5's 10 bit files (at the present time), but as an FCPX user i hated using 2 NLEs, one for preparing the files and the other for editing. Also, consider that a 64 GB card in 5D will give you about 10 minutes of FHD 14bit RAW (for me that was a deal breaker). So i would strongly suggest that you take the GH5 with a speed booster and Canon FF lens. If you won't get pleased with the outcome, you can always sell the newer camera (which is pretty hot right now) for a good price, keep the lens, and buy a used 5D iii without spending more that you have already paid. Just my 2 cents.