Jump to content
Mattias Burling

The Canon C200 is here and its a bomb!

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

http://www.canonrumors.com/hands-on-with-the-canon-cinema-eos-c200-pricing/

As far as pricing goes, the new camera will be priced at £7,699 in the UK or $7,499 in US and is scheduled to begin shipping in July.

Definitely adding this to my kit. 
 

In Europe it´s about 8900 EUR, VAT included.

That woud be a C100ii plus a GH5 plus a JVC LS300.

First one having that DPAF, GH5 with 10bit and LS300 4K 422 with newest firmware.

C200 with 4k 24p RAW plus 8bit 420 150/35mbit as codec sounds odd.

Canon sure knows how to play the marketing game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Original cLog was designed for 8bit color, so it's all good. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with the X-AVCS 4K anyway. You still need the cFast cards, so you may as well shoot Raw. If you need economy shoot MP4 for smaller projects and Raw for serious projects. 

 

Cannot argue that:) But maybe I can. 4k Raw is too much data, old c100 codec with 420 8bit is just C100 territory. So best to buy a C100 II and a 5DIII :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's this C200B? Interesting.  It's listed at $5,9999

The Canon EOS C200B Digital Cinema Camera offers cinematographers the same camera without these accessories and the EVF to optimize shooting using a gimbal, drone or a variety of other configurations.

The Canon EOS C200 and Canon EOS C200B Digital Cinema Cameras sport the same 8.85MP CMOS sensor, that combines with a newly developed dual DIGIC DV6 image processing system to help process high-resolution image data and record video from Full HD (1920×1080) and 2K (2048×1080) to 4K UHD (3840×2160) and 4K DCI (4096×2160). A core staple of the third generation Cinema EOS System, this new processing platform offers wide-ranging expressive capabilities and improved operation when capturing high-quality HDR video.

The Canon EOS C200 and EOS C200B Digital Cinema Cameras are scheduled to be available in August 2017 for estimated retail prices of $7,499** and $5,999** respectively. The EOS C200 comes equipped with additional accessories including the LM-V1 LCD Monitor, LA-V1 LCD Attachment, GR-V1 Camera Grip and HDU-2 Handle Unit. These accessories will also be sold separately and available in September 2017.


http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-u-s-a-announces-new-canon-eos-c200-and-eos-c200b-digital-cinema-cameras-in-continued-expansion-of-cinema-eos-system/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

 

Cannot argue that:) But maybe I can. 4k Raw is too much data, old c100 codec with 420 8bit is just C100 territory. So best to buy a C100 II and a 5DIII :)

Idk, Panny. I like your style but not the argument. With the C200 you are basically getting 3 tiers of camera in one. It's an all arounder. Say you're shooting a low budget wedding or small event... shoot MP4. Say you're shooting some corporate work... shoot xavcs. Say you're shooting a doc, music video, short film, feature film... shoot in Raw. This is a very versatile camera and the specs seemed to be very well though out. 

4 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

What's this C200B? Interesting.  It's listed at $5,9999

The Canon EOS C200B Digital Cinema Camera offers cinematographers the same camera without these accessories and the EVF to optimize shooting using a gimbal, drone or a variety of other configurations.

The Canon EOS C200 and Canon EOS C200B Digital Cinema Cameras sport the same 8.85MP CMOS sensor, that combines with a newly developed dual DIGIC DV6 image processing system to help process high-resolution image data and record video from Full HD (1920×1080) and 2K (2048×1080) to 4K UHD (3840×2160) and 4K DCI (4096×2160). A core staple of the third generation Cinema EOS System, this new processing platform offers wide-ranging expressive capabilities and improved operation when capturing high-quality HDR video.

The Canon EOS C200 and EOS C200B Digital Cinema Cameras are scheduled to be available in August 2017 for estimated retail prices of $7,499** and $5,999** respectively. The EOS C200 comes equipped with additional accessories including the LM-V1 LCD Monitor, LA-V1 LCD Attachment, GR-V1 Camera Grip and HDU-2 Handle Unit. These accessories will also be sold separately and available in September 2017.


http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-u-s-a-announces-new-canon-eos-c200-and-eos-c200b-digital-cinema-cameras-in-continued-expansion-of-cinema-eos-system/

 

Holy shit, that's an awesome way to save some dough. I still, probably, won't be buying one, but I would only really need the monitor, so if that could save me a grand... or whatever... then that's cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Wow... C200B sounds perfect for my needs. 

Could really do with 10bit though... Good old canon!

You can have some good old fashioned 10/12 bit Raw. Now if they would only put these guts into a DSLR form factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mercer, if it´s 1Gbps for 4K RAW, I´d be pleased with 250 Mbit for 2K RAW 12 bit for 24p and 10bit for 50/60p. Then I would sell all my stuff to get one.

Good thing I don´t have to right now :)  So future update for codec with higher framerate will be 10bit or still 8bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mercer said:

You can have some good old fashioned 10/12 bit Raw. Now if they would only put these guts into a DSLR form factor.

Yea, for alot of stuff I do, raw is perfect... I do the occasional wedding for my brother's company though, would be nice to have 10bit for those. The firmware codec will probably look amazing though, Canon seem to do 8 bit well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yea, for alot of stuff I do, raw is perfect... I do the occasional wedding for my brother's company though, would be nice to have 10bit for those. The firmware codec will probably look amazing though, Canon seem to do 8 bit well.

Yeah I think the MP4s biggest benefit is for dual recording proxy files. The xavcs should be 10bit, but they surprisingly gave so much I can't really complain. Of course this is easy for me to say because I will probably never own one. Too pricey for my wallet... even though the b model is an easier pill to swallow... but also because I only shoot run and gun guerilla style, so it's not really the best of choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

Don't forget that the 2018 internal 4K upgrade will be 8 bit only. The 1080 is only 35mps. All of these specs fall just a little short of what I am asked to deliver. RAW is nice but none of my jobs   ask for RAW, they hate it.

The C200 is an enthusiast camera.  Great for passsion projects and micro budget narratives, not for my niche, event and quick turn around docs Just so you don't think I am a Canon hater we have had several C100s at time, both models, but time moves on. We sold ours  

I hope the Panasonic Cinema cam fits our needs. 

What are you shooting with now? Been thinking about a Canon C for the same purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After using the Canon 4K 4:2:2 8-bit from the xc10 I dont see any need for it to be 10-bit. For that there is Raw.

And hopefully Canon is big enough to get a workflow in FCPX similar to Red. Which is just as easy to edit as h.264. Just drag n drop. But with all the flexibility and adjustment tools that Raw offer.

I could definitely see myself renting this in the future. And as Im right in the middle of upgrading the equipment at work, this might sway me to go for a Canon DSLR in order to have the lenses ready for it.

Hmm.. never researched any of the Canon APS-C DSLRs since my old t3i... guess I know what I will be doing tonight :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

After using the Canon 4K 4:2:2 8-bit from the xc10 I dont see any need for it to be 10-bit. For that there is Raw.

Exactly. C-Log is really really good. I couldn't get my FS700/7Q 10 bit 4k files to look as good as the XC10 did. The only thing holding it back was the lens options.

I can't any info on this. Does the camera output 10bit/422 1080 and 4k/10bit/422? Is there a 60p out of the SDI or HDMI?

I'm buying one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...