Time to dump Adobe. First impressions of Resolve 14 and EditReady 2.0

Andrew Reid

The proof in the pudding for me came when a job at Aardman was advertised (i'm in Bristol, the home of Aardman) & it stated that you HAD to have experience using Resolve - they didn't care about Premiere, FCP or the like!

The only problem with Resolve for me, & i'm sure a few others, is that you have to have a decent/newish computer to run it - all the other NLE's are much more forgiving....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

resolve-14.jpg

Resolve has truly come of age.

Read the full article

I've been using resolve on and office the last 6 months - I definitely think it's better than Premiere (which I find to feel a bit ancient in terms of it's usability and UI). 

I saw in your post you haven't tried FCPX in a few years.... do you know the version available today is much much much better now? Give it a whirl!

I like the way Resolve is evolving and some of the features are unique (grading, audio editing, CDNG), however because I find FCPX so much faster and enjoyable to edit with (like the Magnetic Timeline 2) - when I edit wth Resolve I really miss the modern fluidity you get with FCPX. 

Resolve really needs more plugin support from third parties, plus a few cool tricks on timeline editing to challenge FCPX's "scary at first, but really awesome new way of editing". 

That said, Blackmagic are probably the most interesting and exciting video/film industry product company in the world right now. Top job. 

9 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I've been using resolve on and office the last 6 months - I definitely think it's better than Premiere (which I find to feel a bit ancient in terms of it's usability and UI). 

I saw in your post you haven't tried FCPX in a few years.... do you know the version available today is much much much better now? Give it a whirl!

I like the way Resolve is evolving and some of the features are unique (grading, audio editing, CDNG), however because I find FCPX so much faster and enjoyable to edit with (like the Magnetic Timeline 2) - when I edit wth Resolve I really miss the modern fluidity you get with FCPX. 

Resolve really needs more plugin support from third parties, plus a few cool tricks on timeline editing to challenge FCPX's "scary at first, but really awesome new way of editing". 

That said, Blackmagic are probably the most interesting and exciting video/film industry product company in the world right now. Top job. 

Still can't believe that sooo many people bought the marketing BS of Adobe when FCPX came out! FCPX was re-built from the ground up, and yes it took a few months to get all the kinks out, but once they did it proved to be one of the quickest NLE's that i've ever used. I remember when I first started out I kept wishing that the NLE i was using (FCP & Aivd) would do things this way or that way, because it was more logical & would speed things up - FCPX made all those adjustments a reality.

FCPX is not iMovie - pure & simple!

Premiere is like going backwards in time now - clunky, awkward & just not up to the job. The only reason I can see why people still use it is because they pay the monthly subscription for AE & PS!

Really want to use Resolve for grading....

As a freelance creative I say learn everything you can and don't discount tools. I'd never give up adobe its part of in the industry with After Effects especially (before anyone start about Fusion please dont) I love it used it for ages but for mograph its a NO! anyways, If I had clients that didn't care what I worked on then sure but until all the big agencies make the move or adobe does and Apple then I cant see any big shift. Long live Resolve and its user base will blow up but cant seeing it making a real dent. 

I am using Resolve 12.5 for editing for 5 or 6 months now. (I was using it just for (learning) color grading at first)

Looking back, sure the stabiliser isn't as good as Premiere's but that is about what I miss the most in edit side of things... From the color grading point of view, Resolve is by far a more powerful tool.
I've installed the free V14 in a old machine (macbook pro 2011) and I can see performance benefits. V12.5 would just crash or just freeze with UHD clips H264 on this machine. Now, well it still can't manage 4k but it does not crash and does make a better job in playing or trying to play UHD clips.

I have Yosemite in my main machine along with V12.5. I will be making the move once beta is over. Looking forward to! 

Edit: I've also installed the free version of Fusion. I do not know after effects but I might as well try to learn Fusion instead.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

10 hours ago, jcs said:

This is pretty cool: the OFX plugin architecture used by Resolve (and other high-end tools) is relatively simple and clean (unlike Adobe AE/PP, which is a unfortunately a mess (at this point, disaster is perhaps a more accurate description)). Third-party developers can have empathy for Adobe's in-house developers who have to work on the core product: it's no wonder there are so many bugs and development progress is slow. For years I had asked for example HW acceleration examples from Adobe which show a basic plugin which can directly access GPU memory, run GPU code, then store the result in GPU memory. All that was ever provided was a pointer to ancient/obsolete code which used OpenGL, and required copying the video frame from CPU RAM to GPU RAM and back (which makes the whole thing just about worthless). In 5 minutes of googling I found an example OFX plugin which does everything I had asked: processes everything from GPU RAM (no copies to CPU RAM and back), has complete examples for both OpenGL and CUDA, and the overall code is clean and relatively simple. Very cool!

https://github.com/baldavenger/SoftClipV2.1/blob/master/SoftClipPluginV2.1.cpp . https://github.com/baldavenger/SoftClipV2.1.

This is exactly what I'd found for plugin development for AE/PP: https://www.eehelp.com/question/gpu-accelerated-the-development-of-ae-premiere-pro-plugin/ (bold emphasis mine):

This is a joke, and explains why third party plugins for Premiere never ran anywhere near as fast as Adobe's internal plugins/effects.

Premiere and After Effects are at least 10 years past due for a complete rewrite. It's kind of impressive they've kept it clunking along all these years, however they'd be better off (if they haven't already started) doing a from-scratch rewrite, just like Apple did with FCPX. Maybe even switch over to OFX for plugins/extensions. Keep the clunky version of AE/PP around while the new version is beta released and developers port their code over to OFX (unless it's somehow possible to make a compatibility layer and load old plugins (probably not worth it given the ancient convoluted design)).

Cheers for posting this, i learned a lot!

It confirms what I thought... they're just building up around old code. It's a bit like the Kowloon walled city, there's only so long you can keep adding to it until you have to start again for the sake of everyone's sanity...

RESOLVE QUESTION:

One of my favorite things in Lumetri in Premiere is to add a LUT and using say 40% blend of it. How would I do this in Resolve? It's one of the few things I've not worked out yet.

46 minutes ago, jgharding said:

Cheers for posting this, i learned a lot!

It confirms what I thought... they're just building up around old code. It's a bit like the Kowloon walled city, there's only so long you can keep adding to it until you have to start again for the sake of everyone's sanity...

RESOLVE QUESTION:

One of my favorite things in Lumetri in Premiere is to add a LUT and using say 40% blend of it. How would I do this in Resolve? It's one of the few things I've not worked out yet.

Under the key menu after applying a LUT to a node: 

key.jpeg

Nothing can beat FCPX for me. 

So easy and fast to do what I want. Time remapping is the best of any software and I use time remapping all the time.

Who cares about Native lut support when you just need Color Finale the best grading tool ever with way better integration of LUT management than Premiere native shit. 

I am not saying Resolve is shit. I used FCPX then switched to Premiere for the After effects integration. Switched back recently to FCPX and it's just that much better. 

Tried the last year Resolve for a project. It did not work for me 

5 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

For pros turning jobs around FCPX is the bees knees. It's the Canon of the NLE world in many ways - easy to get snobby about its tech specs but in real world use its super reliable, straightforward to use and performs fantastically where it matters. For factual content and solo filmmakers it's a dream. The filmmakers you see using it are the ones consistently putting out content, not those dissecting the latest greatest tech. 

Its fast, gets out of your way and lets you focus on the storytelling. Nobody should be writing it off as a top contender for any reason now, especially not solo filmmakers.

1 hour ago, Lintelfilm said:

For pros turning jobs around FCPX is the bees knees. It's the Canon of the NLE world in many ways - easy to get snobby about its tech specs but in real world use its super reliable, straightforward to use and performs fantastically where it matters. For factual content and solo filmmakers it's a dream. The filmmakers you see using it are the ones consistently putting out content, not those dissecting the latest greatest tech. 

Its fast, gets out of your way and lets you focus on the storytelling. Nobody should be writing it off as a top contender for any reason now, especially not solo filmmakers.

Seems to be a pattern where people hate it, dismiss it... then try it, and slowly fall in love. If I had a mac, I'd be all over this, especially for smaller gigs.

Tried the new 14 today.. Got no Audio on the tracks. Anybody else? It s on the clip, but no signal...

4k Playback lacks more than on Premiere (same system). What i still miss (maybe someone knows better), is fullscreen videoplayback on a second monitor. If this won t be able without buying a BM Card, Davinci will be completely useless. Now that the studio version is that cheap, not only full hardware equipped people will buy it and it would not make any sense to me not adding 2nd monitor fullscreen.

Hmm since I don't have a 4k camera I will for sure have to try it out. That said for MY usage, Adobe hasn't been too bad on me. Sure it glitches at times and for the longest time the audio didn't work for me but lately I've been satisfied. That said it is at the end of the day, just another tool to get the job done. It would be nice to possibly just drop down to not having to pay for the WHOLE adobe suite every month...

Yeah that s pretty weird. Premiere, AE and Audition in one bundle would be perfect. I am editing on Adobe for 15 years, i know the bugs and how to avoid them, but it s still a pain when you need to deliver in time. 2017 is the first without exporting problems and pretty stable for me... In a perfect world there would be a editing only bundle for like 35$ per month (you can jump on and off every month and at the end of the year you pay one bill for the time u used it) with pp,ae and audition, and a davinci support via dynamic link. Oh and everything without bugs, haha

2 hours ago, Dude_ger said:

Tried the new 14 today.. Got no Audio on the tracks. Anybody else? It s on the clip, but no signal...

I had the same.. found on the BM forum that you have to manually go into the audio properties on your PC control panel and put it to 48000 Hz (in my case) ... this worked for me..
cheers

Gareth

Premiere has been very good to me over the years, and I need Adobe CC for my work because, in addition to Premiere, Audition, Media Encoder and Encore, I also use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Muse and Lightroom for my photo and graphic design projects. It's too good a deal for me to pass up, and the monthly subscription is all a tax write-off anyway.

That said, once Resolve 14 is out of beta, I'd love to give it a whirl.