Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DaveAltizer

Rumour - Canon C200 confirmed at Cinegear 2017

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually it's a Canon 5D2 upgrade program. Hence the 200 moniker. Sensor unlocked to shoot in 16K resolution up 9000 fps. Only thing is you have to send the camera into the factory as they take a hammer to it and rebuild it with super glue.

Oh yeah, plus they need to stencil on the two 0s, so you know it's a 200.

What do you mean I'm full of shit? I heard it from a Canon rep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 6:30 AM, hijodeibn said:

Isn´t it C100mkiii?, where did you get the C200 word?

A source who has access to a Canon rep directly said they are labeling it C200 for a differentiating between models. 

On 4/26/2017 at 7:57 AM, andrgl said:

Actually it's a Canon 5D2 upgrade program. Hence the 200 moniker. Sensor unlocked to shoot in 16K resolution up 9000 fps. Only thing is you have to send the camera into the factory as they take a hammer to it and rebuild it with super glue.

Oh yeah, plus they need to stencil on the two 0s, so you know it's a 200.

What do you mean I'm full of shit? I heard it from a Canon rep.

You don't have to trust me, but I know I would be interested to know these things if someone else knew so I am simply just sharing what I have learned by asking around NAB. Lets just wait and see and cinegear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2017 at 8:42 AM, DaveAltizer said:

A source who has access to a Canon rep directly said they are labeling it C200 for a differentiating between models. 

You don't have to trust me, but I know I would be interested to know these things if someone else knew so I am simply just sharing what I have learned by asking around NAB. Lets just wait and see and cinegear. All he said is to wait for cinegear and that they have something for us. 

I have a friend who is a friend of the cousin of a janitor at Canon, and he says it will be called the C101.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tugela said:

I have a friend who is a friend of the cousin of a janitor at Canon, and he says it will be called the C101.

I'm just trying to share with the community. Take it or leave it. I'm sorry you don't believe me. We will see in about a month if it's true or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really wondering if the C200 isn't already a XC15? I would guess that after the C100mkIII announcement, the mkII will be around 2500-3000euros anyway, so not a lot of room for a C200 I guess. But of course (worst case scenario) there is a lot of room for a 7500euros C100markIII, and then, maybe a C101 is more logical in that sense (and we all go buy the Varicam LT mini nano and the GH5 and I stop defending Canon, which I do not own anything modern out of them anyway!)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave thanks for the info, don't mind these pricks... they know not what they do. 

Everything you've mentioned seems very plausible, Canon is known for their tier system. They also believe 4K is not the be all end all for all shooters, so it would make sense that they retire the C100, drop the C100ii price, and bring the C200 in at the original C100ii MSRP.

Thanks again, can't wait for Cinegear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is in line with what is floating about and seems reasonable given their standard release schedules.

I'm gonna take a stab and say they'll probably price it around 6-7000 mark, so more than the C100 mk ii was at release.

Either that or they'll actually make it a C100 Mkiii with a small step up in spec as before. Maybe 1080p100 and 4kp30

Canon seem to have some kind of aversion to high speed so I wouldn't expect more than 100fps.

They could also make a mildly upgraded C100 MK iii AND a C200 and not cannibalise the line, this would make some sense and keep the core C100 format profitable, a bit like the constant upgrades of the 550D ad nauseum.

TBH it's the one I've been waiting for, but we all know pinning hopes on Canon these days is a bit like waiting for Father Christmas and seeing your dodgy uncle walk in wearing just a beard and novelty boxers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I add to this conversation is that Canon needs to step up their game. I don't even read Canon news anymore and everytime I get canon dslr footage to work with I sigh greatly. Get it together Canon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mercer said:

Dave thanks for the info, don't mind these pricks... they know not what they do. 

Everything you've mentioned seems very plausible, Canon is known for their tier system. They also believe 4K is not the be all end all for all shooters, so it would make sense that they retire the C100, drop the C100ii price, and bring the C200 in at the original C100ii MSRP.

Thanks again, can't wait for Cinegear.

Thanks man. Appreciate the calmness lol. Looking forward to see what is released!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't you love it when you can say "told ya so"?! Cheers Dave, hope this is going to be my next camera.

I hate to be an early adaptor, but I am waiting for a C100markII replacement for more than a year now. I just can't wait anymore!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if no one is really enthusiastic about Canon Log on the 5D Mark IV (I'm not sure why, the crop factor is only 1.08 compared with an Alexa, and that's not all that much) it signals the recognition by Canon that they need to push 4k downmarket and improve on specs if they want to compete. This could be a pretty great deal, exactly what FS5 owners wanted but didn't get. :/

The silly part, of course, is that most high end productions are still 1080p/2k and only the very highest and the low end are 4k. 4k almost makes more sense on point and shoot than it does on the C300 Mk II, which sold well possibly specifically because it was so conservatively spec'd. Arri doesn't give you true 4k unless you're shooting 65mm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Even if no one is really enthusiastic about Canon Log on the 5D Mark IV.

I was until I heard the rolling shutter was really bad. Kind of a bummer. 

I predict the "C200" will compete with the FS5, so 1080p/10 bit, 4k/8 bit. Of course the Canon will look miles ahead of the FS5 because of the color...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...