Jump to content

Battle of the Canons! 1dc vs. C100 vs. C300mkii


Dave Maze
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

C300 mk2 is the best ever. If you can afford it....its the one to get right now. I wish the slow motion options were better...but from an ease of use standpoint and at an image standpoint...we love it and are thinking of getting one or just continuing to rent it. 

It is a joy to use. Thinking about using it makes me happy. I stripped it down for a shoot the other day, just the C300ii and a rode mic on top. Really easy to run around and grab shots. The image never looks cheap, colors always look right. ˙

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

It is a joy to use. Thinking about using it makes me happy. I stripped it down for a shoot the other day, just the C300ii and a rode mic on top. Really easy to run around and grab shots. The image never looks cheap, colors always look right. ˙

Why a Rode mic?

Is a Canon markIII imminent, I do wonder..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

Dave, you should consider being in front of the camera as well. Funny guy.

Thanks man. Im starting a YouTube channel actually. Wanna start posting videos more regularly. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFyIEjsL3T-Bn5xZEKYVvqw

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

It is a joy to use. Thinking about using it makes me happy. I stripped it down for a shoot the other day, just the C300ii and a rode mic on top. Really easy to run around and grab shots. The image never looks cheap, colors always look right. ˙

I love that. So simple. So great. Im seeing a pendulum swing back to Canon from my colleagues who switched to sony recently. Those Canon colors are so great and the Canon cameras are really well thought out from a users perspective. The reds and blues can be a little weird though when you actually just need red or blue colored things to look natural and not skintone as your priority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

The reds and blues can be a little weird though when you actually just need red or blue colored things to look natural and not skintone as your priority.

I got an Xrite Passport recently and have been pissing about with colour in Resolve. Forget about its Colormatch function - it's a shot in the dark as to whether it works. But it's only 5 minute's work to selectively adjust the hue and sat of the colours on the chart so that they align with their correct targets on the vectorscope.

Where are the correct targets on the vectorscope for the Xrite? Download one of these

http://www.babelcolor.com/colorchecker-2.htm#CCP2_images

and mask out the relevant squares using Photoshop or something and stick it as an overlay above your chart shot. Then copy that grade to all other relevant clips, or save it out as a lut for use elsewhere

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BenEricson I was referring to the fact that there are other mic brands too! C100mkII is my preferred workhorse too. Did a 70 days travel TV series for a small TV station last year with the C100 on a small soft camera bag, but I am usually using Sennheiser microphones.

Just need a few more things for my next purchase, and C300ii is out of my budget, and C100 is not enough for a camera bought in the summer of 2017. FS5 says hello..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@BenEricson Just need a few more things for my next purchase, and C300ii is out of my budget, and C100 is not enough for a camera bought in the summer of 2017. FS5 says hello..

Yes many are jumping ship to the Sony's (FS5/7) ... Which if and when I need a new camera I will look at. It's a shame Canon has this continual policy of restricting their cameras in the belief they are protecting the higher end models. Sony's policy proves that this is a fallacy. The FS5 is indeed a very well spec'd little camera...
However I shall stick with the C100 for the moment. I've rigged it so it has all the functionality I need... and remains as compact as the FS5. (I hate these massive franken'rigs). I don't need 4K ... not sure I when I will. Slow-mo would be nice, but is not a deal breaker. And I have a bagful of Canon glass that works so well with the DPAF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Ti West's thriller, The Sacrament yesterday and I thought to myself how nice it looked. I looked it up and learned that all of his previous movies have been shot on film, but since this is a first person narrative, they knew they had to shoot digitally.

Of course they wanted to go with the Alexa... like everybody does... but that was going to be too heavy for the aesthetic they needed... so they went Canon C300.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On February 3, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Gareth Watkins said:

Yes many are jumping ship to the Sony's (FS5/7) ... Which if and when I need a new camera I will look at. It's a shame Canon has this continual policy of restricting their cameras in the belief they are protecting the higher end models. Sony's policy proves that this is a fallacy. The FS5 is indeed a very well spec'd little camera...
However I shall stick with the C100 for the moment. I've rigged it so it has all the functionality I need... and remains as compact as the FS5. (I hate these massive franken'rigs). I don't need 4K ... not sure I when I will. Slow-mo would be nice, but is not a deal breaker. And I have a bagful of Canon glass that works so well with the DPAF.

The problem with the FS5 is that when you're asked to shoot a 1080p interview, the footage will look worse than the camera you upgraded from. Of course there are a ton of awesome features with the FS5/FS7, but image color and skin tone is a step down. 

The FS5 weight and body size is pretty awesome, color just doesn't do it for me. The built in XLR on the FS5 is seriously awesome though. You can strip the body way down and still get great audio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BenEricson Fact is, for all the awesomeness C300markII has, it is a bit overpriced for small markets like mine, I have to double my camera budget , while still have a lot of stuff to complete my sound kit, some basic lights, a better 4K editing machine etc etc

C100mkII is my favorite camera to use right now, but my next buys are going to be 4K ready, I seriously can't think of a reason of buying a NOT 4K camera in the 2nd quarter of 2017, and there is no Canon C options for less than 13.640€ that the C300markII costs here. Plus, bigger (and more expensive) tripod, accessories, bags etc

Of course there will be selling a lot of C100s in India and EastAsia right niw, so I do not thing that Canon cares much about the downsizing European market and its specific needs, but Sony is here, and going up, even A7Ses are getting sales from video people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@BenEricson Fact is, for all the awesomeness C300markII has, it is a bit overpriced for small markets like mine, I have to double my camera budget , while still have a lot of stuff to complete my sound kit, some basic lights, a better 4K editing machine etc etc

C100mkII is my favorite camera to use right now, but my next buys are going to be 4K ready, I seriously can't think of a reason of buying a NOT 4K camera in the 2nd quarter of 2017, and there is no Canon C options for less than 13.640€ that the C300markII costs here. Plus, bigger (and more expensive) tripod, accessories, bags etc

Of course there will be selling a lot of C100s in India and EastAsia right niw, so I do not thing that Canon cares much about the downsizing European market and its specific needs, but Sony is here, and going up, even A7Ses are getting sales from video people.

If I owned a C100ii and was doing well freelancing with that, I would probably buy a 1DXii. You can advertise to your clients that you shoot 4k, plus you get a really nice stills camera. Just a thought. People rave about the 1DC as well. 

You're right though, the market that you're talking about favors the FS5, FS7 right now. The C300ii is overkill and the C100 isn't enough anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ty Harper said:

@DaveAltizer what year was your 1DC made? Asking because I know there was that pixel/heating issue that was affecting models of the 1DC, so just trying to get a sense of whether it was models made before a specific year/period.

I think mine may have a problem - when I shoot 4k for a while I see what look like dead pixels. Can I get this fixed? will firmware update it? I bought it used so i don't know how old it is. Thanks!

On 1/31/2017 at 4:01 AM, Arikhan said:

@DaveAltizer

Thank you for this interesting comparizon! I still have one question: What about the native 1080p (FullHD, not downscaled from 4K) of the 1 DC? Is the 1080p footage more detailed / sharp / crisp (not as soft and mushy) than the native 1080p of other Canon DSLRs (eg 5d m4, 1 DX m2, 80D, etc.)?

It really is - it has a special something in 1080 ff mode (and in 4k) that is just amazing and cannot even need color in post if you shoot it right. everyone gets obsessed with 8 bit 20 bit, but like we know, a 4k camera on a cell phone is not 4k from a Red, what maters is what you get in the end. the 1dc (and original 1dx) have amazing ff images, and they're incredible in low light - grain looks like film. Rent one for a day and see!

9 hours ago, BenEricson said:

If I owned a C100ii and was doing well freelancing with that, I would probably buy a 1DXii. You can advertise to your clients that you shoot 4k, plus you get a really nice stills camera. Just a thought. People rave about the 1DC as well. 

You're right though, the market that you're talking about favors the FS5, FS7 right now. The C300ii is overkill and the C100 isn't enough anymore. 

the 1dc 4k footage (and ff 1080) are superior (and sharper) than the 1dxm2, not to mention c-log.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, User said:

I know the OP mentioned that there was some softness in some of the matrial due to AF. But out of curiosity, does anyone else think that the C100 material is the material that wasn't focused? It really looks off to me. Anyone?

Ya it was out of focus.  Due to time I just left it. I didn't have time to go back and reshoot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Ya it was out of focus.  Due to time I just left it. I didn't have time to go back and reshoot 

Thank you for confirming that the C100 was the camera in question Dave.
I appreciate your contributions here and your quest to rock that 1DC in the best possible way, thanks again for sharing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...