Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

You know since I have bought this Panasonic AF100A I have realized that my "editing skills" sort of well, ain't so hot. I guess we get caught up into having to have the latest and greatest Camera, and forget the final output is probably more important than the camera! I bet the best editing guy will win shooting a Canon T3 99% of the time over the best camera guy using a Arri that sort of sucks at editing. :frown: But I would imagine it is pretty hard to be great at both.

Speaking of editing, man if I had this guys talent, I would, well I would be better that's for sure. I was in sort of a depressed mood until I watched this video!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

TBH, there's no excuse for the unnatural looking skin tones we're seeing now. I only just started playing around with AWB on the G85, and the skin tones are often great. At the same time, most of the footage I see online by technicians with their color charts looks awful.

You know, for the most part I have always used AWB with Panasonic. It didn't work quite as well as with a Canon or a Nikon, but a whole lot better than it does with a Sony.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

You have always been an Olympus supporter.

Well, I'm not going to claim Oly creates the best video.  At all.  I'm not  sure I'm a true Oly supporter, so much as a guy that just likes the EM5 cameras for some reason.

But, for this next film I'm shooting, with the lenses and camera I already have, plus the audio gear set up I use, and then finally the budget, it's the smoothest choice for me right now doing an A cam, B cam. 

Honestly, would have liked to have kept my GX85's, but I require a more convienant audio solution for this next gig.

I also need all the $$ on hand for PR once the thing is done. The production is shoe-string all the way, so I'm doing it lean and mean. 

A used EM5II is cheap and the IBIS is great, so...

25 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

<Wolfcrow's Video>

That's a great point: 8-bit 420 at 100Mbps needs to be matched by 10-bit 422 at 280Mbps, yet only 150Mbps is available right now. So shoot 8-bit until the 400Mbps firmware update is released.

Then that article is right to point out the limitations as the camera is being sold without the 400Mbps, no?

Also, why is this simple pan still stuttering like the G85 before they fixed the ibis? Did they ever correct this on the G85?

To me the highlights on this camera don't look great.

The autofocus for video is still unusable from what I've seen.

I don't get why people are so hyped for this camera. Maybe it'll be amazing when they release the 400 Mbps?

@funkyou86

Nice explanation...But facts and knowledge don't count any more. Feeding the naive people's phantasy with claims like "the GH5 is the ARRI for enthusiasts" is much better and you get more likes. Irrational fanboyism seems to be the new religion...

The famous German philosopher Hannah Arendt said once:

You cant't convince the masses with facts - not even with fictitious facts. The  effectiveness of propaganda reveals a characteristic feature of modern masses: they don't believe in evidence, not even in the reality of own experiences - they don't trust their own eyes and ears but only their phantasy.

Panas marketing and social media guys did with the GH5 hype an excellent job and acquired hundreds of sales representatives - aka "independent enthusiasts / reviewers" - (mostly) for free. This reminds me of the paid Canon video posting in DPReview some weeks ago, a guy who claimed to sell his RED for a Canon 80D...Of course... :-))))

Conclusion: Feed people's phantasy and they will give you their money and their soul! (+1 for Panas marketing devision - Guys you did an excellent job!)

Maybe it's fan-tasy, but it's not fantasy. It's just different perspectives. Alternative facts, you could say. *chuckles* If you look at this camera as a unit for a production, it's just well suited. The approach and manner in the way it can be used. That it is exactly an ARRI, with same features and quality, just smaller and cheaper... that is not the case. But it can approach parts of that better than other cameras can at the same (price) level.

2 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@funkyou86

Nice explanation...But facts and knowledge don't count any more. Feeding the naive people's phantasy with claims like "the GH5 is the ARRI for enthusiasts" is much better and you get more likes. Irrational fanboyism seems to be the new religion...

The famous German philosopher Hannah Arendt said once:

Panas marketing and social media guys did with the GH5 hype an excellent job and acquired hundreds of sales representatives - aka "independent enthusiasts / reviewers" - (mostly) for free. This reminds me of the paid Canon video posting in DPReview some weeks ago, a guy who claimed to sell his RED for a Canon 80D...Of course... :-))))

Conclusion: Feed people's phantasy and they will give you their money and their soul! (+1 for Panas marketing devision - Guys you did an excellent job!)

I am really not a big fan of Pannys marketing department. The "reviewers" were useless, exept @Neumann Films, Luke did a great job. The hype was too big, check the topics and articles before the official announcement. The expectation were high, everybody wanted everything, for nothing.

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

I am really not a big fan of Pannys marketing department. The "reviewers" were useless, exept @Neumann Films, Luke did a great job. The hype was too big, check the topics and articles before the official announcement. The expectation were high, everybody wanted everything, for nothing.

Thanks, although a 2-3 minute promotional video was the only line item on the contract.  The only thing they paid us for was the "Beyond the Grid" video.  

4 hours ago, Arikhan said:

Until Edward Bernays effectively created 'Public Relations' based on concepts from his uncle, Sigmund Freud, marketing was based on people's actual needs. Bernays changed everything and marketing evolved into emotion and fantasy-illusion based and thus the world has been changed. Now marketing is based on emotion and desire, and not actual need for daily living or survival.

The Universe Loves Drama, so combined with the emotional-fantasy-based social reality we now live in, explains the current behavior of social interaction, especially in social media. It's enough of a challenge for logical thinkers to effectively communicate with emotional thinkers (and neither side being able to communicate with the other). It becomes a deeper communication challenge with the added fantasy layer, which affects everyone at some level (including me: for example I too used to believe in the 'Full Frame' look until I studied the math and performed my own tests). What we really 'know' changes with time and it's important to remember that.

Another interesting social element is that most of the people discussing cameras, and all gear for that matter, spend far less time creating with the tools than focusing on the tools themselves. The tools become a form of entertainment in and of themselves: playing with them, doing 'tests', debating online, discussing deficiencies in the current model(s) and yearning for the new model(s), buying and selling, etc. And for perhaps the vast majority, not actually creating any content other than writing, discussing, and debating the tools in social media. This is not a judgement, rather an observation of another form of creating and fellowship of like-minded enthusiasts: people who focus on the tools themselves for entertainment vs. using the tools to create content, for entertainment or for a living. Every now and then someone will post, "get out and shoot people!", but that's not why most of the people are on these forums.

The GH5 of course is a major improvement and is an excellent content-creation tool. Is it a baby ARRI? Who knows, let's see some side-by-side tests as were done with Canon 5D3 RAW, which with 14-bit Canon color is indeed like a baby Alexa as shown by various tests done over the years.

2 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

More GH5 revealed!

She should have gone the broadsword way to compete with RED's gladius :D . I'd say nice video and It shows the budget difference between shooting with a RED and a GH5. Even to the point of choosing a similar music to Reznor's style. I'd say between 65-75% there, good enough for me.

@jcs

Full ACK. That's why this kind of "backdoor marketing" is in my eyes much more interesting at this point as the assumptions and postfactic claims done to this point on the GH5.

Another very interesting aspect is that this kind of reactions are predictable. The same process (hate from fanboys against criticism and other opinions and points of view) with a Pana camera was a review of Shaun Hurlbut and the GH4. Taking a look at this camera, Hurlbut - as a experienced, successful and well known filmmaker - said (really worth to read, because 3 years later Hurlbut was proven right):

The 5D looked cinematic right out of the box, you had to do nothing, you did not need to shoot with boosters, you did not have to shoot in this Natural or that Cinema V you just turned it on and even in its worst possible picture style settings it would trounce the GH4,

[...]

I pushed the camera to the place where other much older DSLR’s will still kick its ass, that is all I did. The proof is in the pudding. This camera fails in every way except shooting BARK on trees.

[...]

you could shoot the 5D in its worst mode and it would still kick the shit out of this GH4.

..etc. @andy lee comments on these facts too and advocates the GH4 trying to explain Hurlbut "cinematic look"...:-))

It's interesting how the crowd of pistoleros tries to bash and scream a reputable filmmaker (Shaun) down, because expressing a opinion from professional point of view and not based on unexperienced fantasies of sub 2.000$ mirrorless shooters...

Simply try to read some comments and always consider: Who is Hurlbut and who are the self proclaimed GH4 lawyers? Mostly people who never could afford a Cx00 or any other more expensive pro camera in their hands...This posting is a good lession in "credibility" and worthless opinions...

I tend to trust a reputable pro filmmaker (Hurlbut) by far more than self proclaimed "experts" -.even if they scream very loud on internet. 

2 hours ago, Davey said:

Not sure why they call it Low Light when not having to go above ISO 800. Some nice shots in there, mind.

Probably because the only light was his work light and the arc from the welder?...really bothered by the blown out highlights though!!!:glasses::glasses: (sorry...could not resist!)

I was crazy about getting this camera as it was revealed, but as time goes, and theres more and more videos with it, theres something really off on the image. I cant really tell what it is, but everything looks strange for me and just not appealing for some reason...I guess ill keep waiting and see how it gets from now on, but Im definetly not getting one any time soon.