Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Chrad said:

I recall Andrew requesting this feature in an interview with a Panasonic engineer years ago, and writing that said engineer wrote it down in his notepad. Interesting to see it finally come to fruition, and I can't thank Andrew enough for the part he may have played.

If the focus transitions are triggerable through the Lumix app, the production value it makes possible is incredible. Remote follow focus steadicam like shots with only a light gimbal. All you need is a 'focus puller' to trigger the pre marked points off their phone.

Glad to finally see it :-)

35 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don't know, maybe with a Metabones T Smart Adapter, but I was referring to the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Contemporary lens for micro 4/3, not he Art lens for EF.

I thought Pull Focus was only available on native lenses, but I'd like to be wrong in this case.

1 hour ago, matthere said:

Will the touch focus be available on non native lenses?

I would think it will with the GH5. 

Even my old GX7 with Kipon smart adapter works for touch focus for stills and video with EF/EFs lenses.     Continuous AFC doesn't work of course with this combination but touch AF is good for stills anyway.     It seems like it would have its use for video too but I don't use the GX7 for video much and touch AF for video  especially with adapted lenses almost never.

25 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I thought Pull Focus was only available on native lenses, but I'd like to be wrong in this case.

Obviously it can only work on AF lens as it needs to pull focus electronically. If the adapter supports AF, I see no reason why wouldn't it work.

2 minutes ago, zetty said:

Obviously it can only work on AF lens as it needs to pull focus electronically. If the adapter supports AF, I see no reason why wouldn't it work.

Native as in 'Panasonic on a Panasonic system'. The other thing is e.g. an Olympus or Sigma lens, AF capable, on the Panasonic system. Hence the video posted above.

4 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Native as in 'Panasonic on a Panasonic system'. The other thing is e.g. an Olympus or Sigma lens, AF capable, on the Panasonic system. Hence the video posted above.

That would be an artificial limitation. What "lots of communication going on"? It's just reading and setting two focus points. Extremely simple, doesn't even need AF as such, just the ability to control focus distance from the camera.

27 minutes ago, noone said:

I would think it will with the GH5. 

Even my old GX7 with Kipon smart adapter works for touch focus for stills and video with EF/EFs lenses.     Continuous AFC doesn't work of course with this combination but touch AF is good for stills anyway.     It seems like it would have its use for video too but I don't use the GX7 for video much and touch AF for video  especially with adapted lenses almost never.

Confused - need sleep. Thought we were talking about Pull Focus feature. Tapping the touch screen to focus works with any AF lens.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Confused - need sleep. Thought we were talking about Pull Focus feature. Tapping the touch screen to focus works with any AF lens.

Ah ok, I just responded to a post about touch focus but I must have missed something.

While I can continually touch to focus in video mode with the GX7 and it is fast to focus with my EF 40 2.8 STM for instance, it wouldn't be quite up to being a smooth flow and can hunt just a bit in video.

Just now, noone said:

Ah ok, I just responded to a post about touch focus but I must have missed something.

While I can continually touch to focus in video mode with the GX7 and it is fast to focus with my EF 40 2.8 STM for instance, it wouldn't be quite up to being a smooth flow and can hunt just a bit in video.

Right, which is one reason the Pull Focus feature is so great - no more hunting. But I'm still pretty certain it will only work with native lenses, though again, I'd love to be proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, zetty said:

Then so should the A/B focus pull.

Guess we'll all know the answer to this very shortly - hey, Orangenz, where are you? ?

28 minutes ago, zetty said:
25 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Right, which is one reason the Pull Focus feature is so great - no more hunting. But I'm still pretty certain it will only work with native lenses, though again, I'd love to be proven wrong.

And it does (with Canon lens on Kipon adapter on GX7) if used like that (A to B focus change).      I would not rely on it for a once only chance shot though but if you can shoot and reshoot, it is actually good enough I think.

Not something I have ever needed or really tried but just mucking around now with the GX7 and EF 40 2.8 STM (indoors with a fluoro on in the next room camera is choosing ISO 3200 for stills at 2.8 with the 40 2.8 and 1/25 so about the upper limit for the GX7 for me) it is quite fast to focus and doesn't always hunt.

Will have to experiment more (though not a GH5 so maybe for another thread).

EDIT:   Playing around a bit more with it, it does always seem to be hunting just a bit that would be annoying in video in lowish light anyway.

1 minute ago, Chrad said:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the focus pull only works with Panasonic lenses.

Glad to see my brain is still functioning. Just because tap to focus works with any AF lens on the planet, it does not follow that the Pull Focus will too. We'll have to wait and see...

13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Glad to see my brain is still functioning. Just because tap to focus works with any AF lens on the planet, it does not follow that the Pull Focus will too. We'll have to wait and see...

My point was that the focus pull between A/B is such a basic feature that there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work as long as focus of the lens can be controlled from camera, which in obviously the case with working AF. So it would be an artificially imposed limitation from Panasonic if it is only "supported" by native lenses. But enough of that -- indeed, we'll see.

38 minutes ago, zetty said:

My point was that the focus pull between A/B is such a basic feature that there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work as long as focus of the lens can be controlled from camera, which in obviously the case with working AF. So it would be an artificially imposed limitation from Panasonic if it is only "supported" by native lenses. But enough of that -- indeed, we'll see.

There's no reason it shouldn't work implies the possibility that it might not work. 

1 hour ago, zetty said:

Not good reasoning

8 hours ago, noone said:

Well you don't really get a APSC size sensor, you still have an M4/3 sensor and you change the lens.      If you put a (say) ,72x focal reducer on a 50mm f2 lens on M4/3,  you get a 36mm 1.4 lens as a result.       Is that going to be any real difference  to a native M4/3 35 1.4 lens?

I think you are wrong, the you get a 36 1.4 lens is right. But the statement that the M4/3 is really still is 1.4 lens is not right, a native 35 1.4 ends up being a F2.8 in reality without a Speedbooster compared to FF.