Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

On 16-1-2018 at 1:56 AM, Emanuel said:

It will end in the same results because of diagonal:

This is inaccurate:

https://www.43rumors.com/exact-crop-factors-caluclated-new-gh5s-multiaspect-sensor/

Hmm, but I have seen clips where the GH5 was compared to the GH5s and the shots from the GH5s were definately a bit wider with the same lens.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Emanuel said:

well, if so, where's the catch then? :-)

The catch is that the sensor is oversized, and expands the readable area horizontally in those aspect ratios instead of just cropping more vertically. This lessens the crop factor in those formats compared to the GH5 sensor.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/10/multi-aspect-sensor.html?m=1

< del />

Now... I'm usually not game for anything new if there's not a little incentive (freebie, discount), but I'm sorta really excited about the GH5S. Gotta list that GH5 sooner than later I think.

Can anybody explain to me why the sky appears to be rapidly pulsing between white and light blue when it's blown out?

I'm shooting 4k 23.97p 10 bit, if it makes a difference.

I've noticed it a couple of times, typiaclly in high contrast environments. For instance, if I'm in a jungle, the sky that peeks through the leaves will shimmer a bit.

I think it might be the autofocus hunting or something, but I still have to do some tests when I have some time. If anyone is familiar with this and could tell me what it is, that would be awesome.

EDIT - I should also mention, I'm shooting in full manual other than autofocus. ISO typically locked at 400, and shutter at 1/50th.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:04 AM, Cinegain said:

Hum, stock is already being reported...

https://geizhals.eu/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5s-schwarz-gehaeuse-a1751404.html

Daniel Peters already working on LUTs...

Now... I'm usually not game for anything new if there's not a little incentive (freebie, discount), but I'm sorta really excited about the GH5S. Gotta list that GH5 sooner than later I think.

Shouldn't this be in one of the dozen or so GH5s threads?

5 minutes ago, TARS said:

Can anybody explain to me why the sky appears to be rapidly pulsing between white and light blue when it's blown out?

I'm shooting 4k 23.97p 10 bit, if it makes a difference.

I've noticed it a couple of times, typiaclly in high contrast environments. For instance, if I'm in a jungle, the sky that peeks through the leaves will shimmer a bit.

I think it might be the autofocus hunting or something, but I still have to do some tests when I have some time. If anyone is familiar with this and could tell me what it is, that would be awesome.

EDIT - I should also mention, I'm shooting in full manual other than autofocus. ISO typically locked at 400, and shutter at 1/50th.

Could you at least share a clip?

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Shouldn't this be in one of the dozen or so GH5s threads?

[..]

Ah, my bad, I thought this was a centralized/sticky topic for all things related GH5S... didn't notice the missing 'S', also because of previous convo to my post.

27 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Ah, my bad, I thought this was a centralized/sticky topic for all things related GH5S... didn't notice the missing 'S', also because of previous convo to my post.

Ahh Hah LoL.

Since we have quite some people who love the thick 1080p image that the GH3 has created (I think it was @mercer and maybe @kidzrevil ?), I was digging around a bit in the camera settings and we also have a 1080p 24fps All-I 200mbit mode that also features HLG. Anybody ever tried that mode? If i wouldnt care about 4k, wouldnt this have an even more (relative) higher bitrate than the 400mbit 4k ALL-I? yes, this one has 400mbit vs 200mbit but 4k is also 4x 1080p in terms of pixels...

Maybe I will give that mode a shot.

2 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

It seems incredible but real. I have just bought a GH5 and now I'd like to buy an original Panasonis strap but I am not able to find it. Where can I buy it? Thanks

One second on Google gives me item no. ' DVPW1003Z ', which can be bought from a bunch of places. Ideally you get someone to send you theirs that they absolutely have no use for (I personally never use one (nor do I think the provided one is any good), but I like to keep the original box and acc. for resale value). Doesn't seem to have a specific 'GH5' designation, so probably just a generic 'Lumix G' one you get with most of these cameras.

Hi, I have just bought GH5 and I will need to charge at the same time. I have seen these two charge batteries:
https://www.amazon.it/Andoer-DMW-BLF19E-Caricabatteria-fotocamere-Panasonic/dp/B0774NYS35/ref=pd_sbs_421_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CNMQBX0NNACCFAJS4WXE
https://www.amazon.it/Bundlestar-Caricatore-doppio-batteria-Panasonic/dp/B0744NMJ88/ref=pd_sbs_421_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CNMQBX0NNACCFAJS4WXE
In your opinion which is better between them? In don't understand well if the yellow charger can discharge also the battery before to charge it.
Thanks for your info.

So, have there been any reviewers of the GH5s been able to compare the dynamic range and noise performance of the S version compared to the regular GH5 at LOW ISO's?

Being able to go higher in ISO can be handy sometimes, but I mainly shoot between ISO 100 and 800 anyway so I am interested to hear if there has been any improvement IQ wise in those ranges. Is there fewer noise because of the larger pixels? A bit more DR? Or are they virtually the same there?