Andrew Reid

Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, I got Voight primes and like them a lot.  I feel I don’t need a higher end camera since my concern is shooting video. 

I like the GH5, but don’t love it - as I know I’m only utilizing about half of its capability the way I do things. Downgrading gear seems counterintuitive, but sort of makes sense.

The 60p 4K would be hard to let go of, however. 

I feel the same way with my GH5.  I've been flirting with Panasonic since the GX80 got IBIS (for the better video codec) and also picked up a GH5 with the 12-60/2.8-4 Leica which I do almost everything with.  I'm still not liking the colours as well as the old Olympus (spend more time in post colour correcting) and the size/weight of the GH5 is more noticeable compared to my old EM5-ii.

I'm considering moving back once I see what the EM5-iii is about, or just grabbing two refurbished EM10-iii and selling my panasonic lenses and relying on the Olympus 12-100/4 for outdoor events and my 17 and 42 Voigtlanders on two cameras for indoors.

I agree, the 60p 4k is great for getting better shutter speeds with less ND and the digital crop is handy for more reach.  However I use the HLG a lot these days for the better file compression and the 10-bit, although more work with LUTs/corrections in post...