Jump to content

Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Can you link the Cinema5D article? 

Hey Dave, was considering reading that article too. Then, I watched the video and must say, the grade is hiding the qualities of the camera well. So

I stopped looing for that article but recognized that Cinema5D is publishing articles on a daily basis now, which I found overwhelming regarding

the number and variety of topics. I used to enjoy to read John Behiris articles, who I haven´t read anything

from for a long time now. The video above is not overwhelmingly showcasing that beautiful Oly camera in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received my EM1 Mkii from B&H used department and immediately loaded V3 on it.  I am using the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 and the autofocus performs flawlessly. As good as Canon Dual Pixel

I got to play with the new Olympus E-M1 II today, a pro Micro Four Thirds camera they hope will sell for $2000. It certainly pulls out all the stops to imitate a miniature 1D X Mark II. This came

Already ordered an EM1 Mkii from B&H....gonna do a vid about it! I think this is now going to be a way better option for people than the EM1X...WAY cheaper. Paid $1,100 for it used. If the AF

Posted Images

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Dave, was considering reading that article too. Then, I watched the video and must say, the grade is hiding the qualities of the camera well. So

I stopped looing for that article but recognized that Cinema5D is publishing articles on a daily basis now, which I found overwhelming regarding

the number and variety of topics. I used to enjoy to read John Behiris articles, who I haven´t read anything

from for a long time now. The video above is not overwhelmingly showcasing that beautiful Oly camera in my opinion.

I love to see people making videos with very little tools. 

That said, I thought the above video was shot well but it seems really blurry / out of focus which harmed my viewing experience. 

p.s I think the quality of Cinema5D has reduced quite significantly over the last couple of years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 7:25 PM, John Brawley said:

Hi.

A while coming but here's some 4K UHD files for download and a bit of a shoot with the new APO Cine primes in MFT mount. There's also some UHD Vimeo clips too.

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2017/07/31/olympus-does-4k/

 

JB

It looks like Olympus upgraded the 1080p to 202mbps all-i from the 77mbps of the e-m5 Mark ii. Is it dramatically better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mercer said:

It looks like Olympus upgraded the 1080p to 202mbps all-i from the 77mbps of the e-m5 Mark ii. Is it dramatically better?

Yeah, I didn't make much ado about it, but I found the 1080 shots in these sequences to be really great.  I found the 4K / UHD made less of an impact to my eye.  The biggest thing they need to do now is 10 bit.  You just can't squeeze any more DR from 8 bit and have it look great.  

JB

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A couple things video wise to note about the new firmware:

-C4K 24p has given bitrates of 100-150mbps in the handful of test clips I conducted in a not well lit environment. Previously I was struggling to ever get above 60mbps in basically every situation. Haven't tested extensively but it's a noticeable increase in their variable bitrate.

-1080p 60p/24p seems to look basically the same as before. I haven't been impressed with the 1080p quality on this camera so I tend to not use it.

 

Olympus has also released a LUT to convert their FLAT profiles to 709:

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/3dlut/3dlutdl.cfm

-Mostly just seems like a curve adjustment, doesn't do much to the colors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, anonim said:

 

Dang, those look pretty good. I preferred the look of the first one, but the Olympus Demo Video has some nice parts as well... particularly the gym workout sequence in the beginning (although I believe a can of haze or a fog machine may have helped there) and I liked the last snow sequence very much. Olympus’ 4K has a very organic look to it. Not too oversharpened and really nice colors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mercer said:

Dang, those look pretty good. I preferred the look of the first one, but the Olympus Demo Video has some nice parts as well... particularly the gym workout sequence in the beginning (although I believe a can of haze or a fog machine may have helped there) and I liked the last snow sequence very much. Olympus’ 4K has a very organic look to it. Not too oversharpened and really nice colors. 

Roman Khlyustov is very gifted, highly pleasant young man with positive vibe. A much as I know, last two year he felt in love with Olympus promoting Em 1 especially for wedding video, about which Khlyustov often takes a tour teaching master class... But he also works in shorts - here are two wonderful works of him as DP and equally talented director Bayar Baradiev (indeed much to learn). First one is done on Canon 5d II, for the second (about one of the many old native people/language in Russia) I'm not sure, maybe also Olympus or Sony...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 12:43 AM, DaveAltizer said:

Is there any real benefit to EM1 II to GH5? I guess color science and IBIS is better? If I were only shooting manual focus I guess its better huh? 

I think the EM1 mark 2 is a far better stills camera. 60fps RAW and ProCapture come to mind.

JB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...