Jump to content
DBounce

New Canon 1DX Mkii Footage

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

give the crew a $60k budget to shoot, and a $20k budget to pay for the edit/post for a promo video for the nex5n and the results would be just as awe inspiring.  The level of production value on this video makes it impossible to judge the camera because in real instances with these budgets they'd just add another $2k for the rental of an Alexa Mini for the couple of days of shooting.

I really don't see anything in this short that isn't accessible to most Indies... We are not talking sweeping crane shots or even an octocopter ... Just good lighting and a gimbal or two on the riding shots. Even the editing and grading is fairly standard stuff....

Now when you see an expertly shot goPro video that has been smoothed and massaged to death, I fully agree... But this video doesn't seem like it is miselling what a $6k camera can do in the hands of someone who spends $6k on a camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

I really don't see anything in this short that isn't accessible to most Indies... We are not talking sweeping crane shots or even an octocopter ... Just good lighting and a gimbal or two on the riding shots. Even the editing and grading is fairly standard stuff....

Now when you see an expertly shot goPro video that has been smoothed and massaged to death, I fully agree... But this video doesn't seem like it is miselling what a $6k camera can do in the hands of someone who spends $6k on a camera.

Agreed, and I think there is much Canon hate here. But I think that stems from the fact that these haters actually like Canon, but feel like Canon has not embraced the indie film movement as much as they would like. As time goes by and more folks get their cameras and footage will make it's way onto the web. I believe this camera will prove itself to be a great option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had the money I'd buy a 1DXII in a heartbeat. The image looks beautiful and in terms of usability, I love the form factor and touch + DPAF combo. Hoping some of this functionality makes its way to the 5d4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahaha.

p.s. I love Canon, I just wish they would make a mirrorless camera like Sony (but Canon) and do it at a price that I can actually afford :D . I recently purchased a secondhand 7D as a backup photo body and was pretty impressed with the pictures it took, still blows away my GH4 and other MFT cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they will. Sony has taken a pretty sizable following. Conom coming out with 4k @ 60fps will bring alot of people back over. Give it a leg up on sony and possibly the GH5 also. But rumors are the GH5 is going to be stacked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The footage is beautiful and it really is a great camera. Clog missing it's an issue but you can never discard an update to the 1DC and I find the grading really nice with just a little post-oversharpening in the tools at the beginning but I'm really liking more and more the clinic sharp look as in Tron or Oblivion and this one has lot of that.

If it's good for owning, or maybe renting something like the C300mkII it's a personal opinion now. We can't deny Canon's mojo! Like it was said, I'm just bitter with Canon because they're centering on the high end and letting me having the crumbs which forces me to move somewhere else. But I'll keep my lenses in case somebody hypnotizes their board and something like this enters my income range...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2016 at 10:24 PM, Inazuma said:

Lol you guys talk about thickness of the image like wine conocers talk about their drink.   Please stop. You cant possibly make judgements lile this from a compressed web video. You need the raw footage in your hands and know about how it was lit, shot etc. Most people who use cameras like the gh4 arent setting up huge diffusers to soften 1k watt lights or even the sun. Thats really where the difference lays when you see footage from a 10k camera and from a 1k camera

After working with Panasonic footage for years (gh1, gx7), every time I see Canon footage these days it just seems thicker, richer, more solid somehow. It is the only way I can think of to describe what I'm seeing! It just seems to have more "weight" .. is it just because the colours are so right/pleasing?? 

I know it sounds crazy, but that is what I see, and how my brain interprets/labels it. I'm glad I'm not the only one! It shines though fine on the web too.. 

I did own a Canon 50d for a while, and I do like the gh1 colour better than the gx7.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish this camera had a LOG profile. 

One huge benefit of log is highlight roll off. The videos I've seen so far have poor highlight roll off. The NX1 does that better. 

If they added a profile, I'd put serious thought into grabbing one. Although the 120fps mode quality doesn't particulary good. I'll have to rent one to find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I wish this camera had a LOG profile. 

One huge benefit of log is highlight roll off. The videos I've seen so far have poor highlight roll off. The NX1 does that better. 

If they added a profile, I'd put serious thought into grabbing one. Although the 120fps mode quality doesn't particulary good. I'll have to rent one to find out. 

Turn on highlight tone priority with neutral picture profile, much better highlight roll off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

Turn on highlight tone priority with neutral picture profile, much better highlight roll off.

Good tip. I think there is definitely a place for this camera many an indie filmmakers kit. With the USA release slated for tomorrow this is just the beginning of the footage that will be out there. I encourage all of you to post new footage to this thread as it comes out. That way we will have a centralized location where we can locate the latest example from this intriguing new camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I wish this camera had a LOG profile. 

One huge benefit of log is highlight roll off. The videos I've seen so far have poor highlight roll off. The NX1 does that better. 

If they added a profile, I'd put serious thought into grabbing one. Although the 120fps mode quality doesn't particulary good. I'll have to rent one to find out. 

The new Canon 1DX Mark ii does not need Log. 

In fact at NAB this year, I had 2 separate Canon reps tell me that this new cam replaces the Canon 1D C.

You can tweek the cam multiple ways as has already been pointed out in this thread.

Btw, the images from the new 1DX really does blow away anything you can capture on any Sony A7S/R -4K.

The native DR on the 1DX ii is astonishing for $6,000. A steal.

I saw it with my own eyes at the show. Of course beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. To me it screamed cinematic with practically zero tweaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016年4月28日 at 11:53 PM, Zach Ashcraft said:

If I had the money I'd buy a 1DXII in a heartbeat. The image looks beautiful and in terms of usability, I love the form factor and touch + DPAF combo. Hoping some of this functionality makes its way to the 5d4

Firstly ,prepare about 30 CFast cards for daily use,because that 800Mbps Mjpeg codec makes huge file size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

Firstly ,prepare about 30 CFast cards for daily use,because that 800Mbps Mjpeg codec makes huge file size

800mbit is not much bigger than 660mbit of 5d3 raw, this amount of data is certainly manageble. Besides 1dxii can record 4k 24/25/30 and 1080p 24/25/30/60/120 to cheaper (but fast) CF cards, CFast is needed only for 50/60p 4k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kgv5 said:

800mbit is not much bigger than 660mbit of 5d3 raw, this amount of data is certainly manageble. Besides 1dxii can record 4k 24/25/30 and 1080p 24/25/30/60/120 to cheaper (but fast) CF cards, CFast is needed only for 50/60p 4k.

Now you should see the point,the 800Mbps 8bit Mjpeg is even bigger than the 14bit raw with full DR,so it is a poor codec,why not wait untill ML hack it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...