Is Red about to release an affordable camera?

Flynn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I feel like I'm having a flashback to the mythical 3k for $3k. IMO Red could build something that competes in the space Blackmagic occupies, but it would either be really crippled in terms of frame rates and such or it would really upset its existing user base that have so much invested in Red parts needed to actually shoot.

More competition is better for us though, I hope they bring it. 

As has been discussed in the past, Red blew this opportunity several years ago with the Scarlet. All Blackmagic did was deliver what Red promised. And Blackmagic continues to be as disruptive as Red thinks it is, without the continual boasting. Red does have a name and that counts for something. My impression is also that Jared is way smarter (and not as handicapped with a giant ego) as Jim, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has something legitimately intelligent up his sleeve, but can they deliver in under 2 years (and somehow people complain about Blackmagic's 3-4 month additional release)? Red also needs to bring down the cost of all it's proprietary accessories. Red can do all this..... but will they? Guess we'll see soon enough. For now, BM and the URSA mini have my money, and it would take a bold move to change that, unlike Sony's wimpy attempts.

#4k4All suggests that's the goal, though I doubt it'll be competitive with BM when it comes to price.

Price of what? Camera body?

Doubts to whom has no clue on Jim/Jarred duo.

3K for 3K is still the rock in their own shoes, don't you know?

They need to recover a market segment with BMD nowadays. I just wonder if they aren't arriving late. And they will* need to open up their hands from proprietary media to succeed more than a sounded meh.

Greetings to Jarred and Jim from the deep Southern Europe,

Emanuel :-)

* much different than "would"

If they do, it would be so dumb of them.

Boxster aside, Porsche would be so dumb to release a car for "everyone." 

It would dilute their brand as a desirable high end car.

It would put the car in the hands of people who don't care enough to drive it well, and they'd burn out their transmissions.

Red dodged a bullet by giving up on the 3k/$3,000 camera. No one takes the Scarlet seriously except as an owner/op camera... I can see them lower the price and capability of the scarlet, making it more of a true C100 competitor, but man. If Red does this... DUMB.

Boxster aside, Porsche would be so dumb to release a car for "everyone." (...) No one takes the Scarlet seriously except as an owner/op camera...

Scarlet? What Scarlet?

3K for 3K aside, now converted as 4K4all (the only point is that's a bit late actually...) Scarlet doesn't exist. There is Mini-Epic or, better put, RED. Once Epic Dragon, whatever is, will be converted soon in Weapon. That's the actual truth.

BTW, RED One was a prototype. Sold to thousands of developers or beta testers who rather than to be paid for, paid the R&D. A couple of big names (v.g. Peter Jackson, Steven Soderbergh) as forfait of their own name and reputation, but probono. The deal comprehended to inscribe their lettering in the history of 4K acquisition.

People always forget RED is more than a camera company, they are simply the best dream sellers the industry has ever met. With a little bit but significant difference, they sell real IQ + QC based on supply and demand.

PS: Last but not least, ...with success as usual.

BM and the URSA mini have my money, and it would take a bold move to change that

I would LOVE for the Ursa mini 4.6k to be a great camera and I would buy it if that is the case.

However I keep reading over and over again complaints about corrupt files, camera crashes, fixed pattern noise unusable images, and overall unreliability of the bm cameras that I have zero expectations.

Now we are talking red, industry proven cameras with amazing R3D format, yes the accessories will be expensive, but they might actually deliver a reliable workhouse in the price range that blackmagic has over hyped and failed over and over again due to severe issues on all models.

Like you guys said it will come down to what an actual working package will cost, but this is seriously interesting news.

Nothing about that looks cheap/budget.

Can't see a shooting package coming in any less than $10k (probably about the same as Ursa Mini, when totalled up).

RED usually start the hype machine when they know something is about to drop from a competitor. Either they over estimated what the FS5 would be, or something is brewing elsewhere (or maybe they know the 4.6K mini/C300 mk II footage is gonna blow everyone away).

/\ agreed, I'd say $4K for the brain, plus another $4K+ in accessories to get it up and running. So yeah I'd say ballpark of $9k or so complete package. Significantly cheaper than their epic, scarlet, etc. But still expensive for many indie filmmakers who don't have a solid budget, thats just my opinion

Will be interesting if it does come in at that sort of price... The Ursa Mini will be similar, when kitted out.

I wonder where they will cut the specs though? Old MX sensor? 30fps only at 4K? Heavier compression? No RedCode?

My completely uneducated guess, it will be a 6K Dragon sensor, but will downscale to 4K (1-30fps) and 2K (1-120fps), with no 5K or 6K options, minimal I\Os, no ProRes etc.

If they do, it would be so dumb of them.

Boxster aside, Porsche would be so dumb to release a car for "everyone." 

It would dilute their brand as a desirable high end car.

It would put the car in the hands of people who don't care enough to drive it well, and they'd burn out their transmissions.

Red dodged a bullet by giving up on the 3k/$3,000 camera. No one takes the Scarlet seriously except as an owner/op camera... I can see them lower the price and capability of the scarlet, making it more of a true C100 competitor, but man. If Red does this... DUMB.

I'd rather get the camera in the hands of more people which inevitably means more creative content that will show off the technology rather than the community be a bunch of stuck-up entitled assholes who think they're better than everyone else.

PS.  I drive a 911 and I think Caymans and Boxsters are great cars and they don't "dilute" the Porsche brand.  

High-and-mighty people ruin it for owner communities.