Lumix S9

Davide DB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

But for photographers, then the S9 is going to be more appealing than a DJI Osmo Pocket 3

What’s a better setup if you were traveling? Ricoh and Pocket or just the s9 for both 

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

What’s a better setup if you were traveling? Ricoh and Pocket or just the s9 for both 

Depends on  your priorities? (speed of turn around / stills vs video / etc)

And what type of traveling you're doing??

Certainly something I've been pondering myself lately, as I'm hopefully going overseas next year for a few months. 

What do I bring? My Panasonic GH4 + Fujifilm X-E3?
Or more cameras? (my Nikon D5200/D90 as well? Or my Panasonic G6) Or less... just one of them??

Or buy yet another camera?? Maybe splurge out like a nut case and buy a brand new Sony FX30 to rule them all? Or something less crazy, a secondhand Panasonic G9mk1? Or a Nikon D750 or Nikon Z6mk1?? Or an old school Sony a7Smk1 with the Monster Adapter LA-FE2??? (or a7S mk2? Or Sony a7Rmk2 because it does better S35 filming?) Or Sony ZV-E10??

Should I go out and get a point and shoot such as a Sony RX100mk3? Or a cheaper Panasonic LX7??

Do I bring my crappy GoPro Hero 3 Black? Or go out and buy a fancy Sony RX0? Or a DJI Osmo Pocket 2?? 

And don't even get me started on the question of what lenses to bring...

(or even worse, I haven't even touched upon discussing what sound gear to bring... !!!)

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

For it to be full frame then f2.8 might be tricky ish to keep it super compact. 

But at the very least a 28mm f4 (i.e. roughly doubling the 14mm f2.5 specs) should have been possible!! (or heck, why not at least f5.6??? Why does it have to be f8 for goodness sake??) 

Here's Canon's 28mm (notice the price):189386529_Screenshot2024-05-24at06_43_51.thumb.png.64ce896be11bfc27664d6d86c60e9f61.png

An one from NIkon:

1920624254_Screenshot2024-05-24at06_45_17.thumb.png.f194f846b57df99216ca67820b52fd06.png

Panasonic gave us a 26mm FIXED f/8 MANUAL FOCUS lens for $200. What the hell, Panasonic? And where's the pancake 35-50mm? We need that too for this camera!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Panasonic S9 is however a massive improvement of any smartphone camera, and so long as they make it nearly as very easy to post immediately to social media as it's possible with your own smartphone, then perhaps the S9 still has a niche for the social media addicted content creators. 

With the F8 lens, this is actually debatable. It shouldn't be, but it is!

After a couple days of processing the news and the leaks fiasco, I, along with so many others, am most disappointed in the that drilled-out hockey puck of a lens cap. I give them an "A" for inspiration and a "F" for usability and value.

The other thing is the lack of any sort of a mechanical shutter on a slow, old, 24MP sensor. Why didn't they include a stripped down version of a mechanical shutter, like what they had on the GM1, GM5, G100, GX800, GF(all of them), etc. We had up to 1/500 in mechanical, making the cameras so much more usable in many more situations. Also, the option of a flash is possible.

In essence, the S9 is a l-mount video centric camera without a headphone jack and all kinds of overheating limitations. It tries, and loses, to compete with the sharing abilities of a phone. With that F8 lens, it barely competes on the image quality. The IBIS, as good as it is, is only comparable to a phone. Its saving grace is the fact you can change lenses and make much more of it, but even then, you still don't have a mechanical shutter for general photography. Again, it's an "A" for looks, but a "D" for a photo or video camera.

I say all of this with a grain of salt because I base everything on the specs and what I've heard. With time, I might completely change my mind. Also, it looks super cool and that would be a trump factor. M43 (or other real cameras) are much better suited for general photography.

The mju 2 sports a 35mm f2.8 lens, Canon AF has a 38mm f2.8, both AF full frame with lenses so tiny and great image quality, many more in the form of compacts of the 80ies and nineties, Oly AF a predecessor of the Mju, Nikon AG, manual focus miniature gems such the Olympus XA or a Ricoh FF. How a Pana representative gives ungraceful exuses is beyond good will to smile away. I am stunned as you about tha silly statement. @John Matthews Don't envy btw, to own a red GM5 is discouraging to take pictures because they are too pretty and too delicate to take a risk of roughing up the pretty faux-leather.😂

No hotshoe, no evf, no mechanical shutter is so stupid. Instead of making the GM1 of L mount full frame, they could have done the GM5.

Would be nice if Panasonic adds the 3840 x 2560 open gate mode to the other S cameras as well and to give them an additional option for the 150mbit h264 422 codec in that mode.

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

About 2-3 months ago, I asked Sean with Panasonic in the livestream why can't Panasonic make a version of their 14mm f/2.5 on full-frame. He replied by giving me a lecture on how the 14mm just had "WAY too many image quality compromises."

Now, Lumix give us this:

2051338069_Screenshot2024-05-24at08_02_051.thumb.png.2087da3d642bc2a1f73ddc4b76b55b52.png

Optics are different than the specs.

One thing that isn't widely discussed is the optical formulas of lenses and what impacts they have on size and image quality.  In general, the higher the optical performance the higher the quality.....

For example, here's the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 vs. Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm

blog_otus_01__dsc9899.jpg

The more everyone online keeps talking about megapixels and sharpness the larger all our lenses get.  It's pretty simple really - we're getting what we asked for.

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I think right now, if I was going to get/use one, I’d treat it as an APSC camera and go with the Sigma 10-18 and 18-50, both f2.8, for an equivalent pairing of 15-27mm and 27-25mm and be done with it.

I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm mainly a video guy and my S5mk2 is my workhorse with the S5 as a back up. As you know I've started doing hybrid weddings but coming from the other angle, video then photo. Weddings are chaotic affairs here in Spain and really the only way to do it is to have the 2 cameras with you all the time. I find carrying the S5mk2 and S5 too heavy and cumbersome. I like the idea of having the S5mk2 for photos and the S9 for video. In these cases I'm shooting 4K 50p mainly so the Sigma APSC zooms would make sense, even the 16mm F1.4 (although I don't know how good the AF is). I'd mainly be taking short clips for a long trailer style video. I have the S5 if I need a tripod cam (it's never over heated even in 38 degrees in the sun filming a whole ceremony!). Hmm!🤔

6 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Here's Canon's 28mm (notice the price):189386529_Screenshot2024-05-24at06_43_51.thumb.png.64ce896be11bfc27664d6d86c60e9f61.png

An one from NIkon:

1920624254_Screenshot2024-05-24at06_45_17.thumb.png.f194f846b57df99216ca67820b52fd06.png

Panasonic gave us a 26mm FIXED f/8 MANUAL FOCUS lens for $200. What the hell, Panasonic? And where's the pancake 35-50mm? We need that too for this camera!

With the F8 lens, this is actually debatable. It shouldn't be, but it is!

After a couple days of processing the news and the leaks fiasco, I, along with so many others, am most disappointed in the that drilled-out hockey puck of a lens cap. I give them an "A" for inspiration and a "F" for usability and value.

The other thing is the lack of any sort of a mechanical shutter on a slow, old, 24MP sensor. Why didn't they include a stripped down version of a mechanical shutter, like what they had on the GM1, GM5, G100, GX800, GF(all of them), etc. We had up to 1/500 in mechanical, making the cameras so much more usable in many more situations. Also, the option of a flash is possible.

In essence, the S9 is a l-mount video centric camera without a headphone jack and all kinds of overheating limitations. It tries, and loses, to compete with the sharing abilities of a phone. With that F8 lens, it barely competes on the image quality. The IBIS, as good as it is, is only comparable to a phone. Its saving grace is the fact you can change lenses and make much more of it, but even then, you still don't have a mechanical shutter for general photography. Again, it's an "A" for looks, but a "D" for a photo or video camera.

I say all of this with a grain of salt because I base everything on the specs and what I've heard. With time, I might completely change my mind. Also, it looks super cool and that would be a trump factor. M43 (or other real cameras) are much better suited for general photography.

True but it destroys Fuji for that market now. It’s not even close and I’m excited to see what folks do with it in that space 

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

I like the idea of having the S5mk2 for photos and the S9 for video. In these cases I'm shooting 4K 50p mainly so the Sigma APSC zooms would make sense

Yes. I shoot all my longer form static stuff 4k 25p and all the handheld elements, ie, ‘clips’ 4k 50p so am in S35 mode for most of it really and for that, the S9 could work.

I would not trade an S5ii for one, (ha no!) but as something small & discrete, I guess it would work, especially with either/both of those small zooms or any one of the 3 compact primes.

And as a fan of; smaller, lighter, faster, it’s something I might have considered if I did not already have the S1H in the static role and the S5ii as that handheld option, but for me otherwise, nah.

To be honest, I’m not even sure how any S1 line replacement would even be an option…

What could an S2H do that my S1H cannot do? For my needs. Nothing I want or could think of.

What would something new give me above what the S5ii gives me? Ditto, nada.

The only real thing the S5ii lacks for me is a better shutter mech for stills and I wish it had a higher res rear screen, plus was a tilt and not a flip out, but for my video needs, ‘Peak Camera’.

Not ‘PC’ if we’re talking pulling stills from video, but that is another topic and I am resigned right now and this late on my career to probably see that out with separate tools for stills and video.

Which is why I fooked off to Nikon for stills where my needs are better served. But that is also another subject and not pertinent to this discussion!

6 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I believe it doesn't have overheating or recording time issues in 4k mode (except in high speed modes?)

From the specs on the Panasonic UK website:

- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 10 minutes in [6K] [5.9K].
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 15 minutes in [C4K] [4K] [3.8K] [3.3K].
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 20 minutes in [FHD].

5 hours ago, kye said:

SHHHHH...  I think Cam is listening....

The hipster youtube ladies and gentlemen! I think we found the main customer for the S9!! I'm not worthy. I don't have any tattoos, no funny hats, and I certainly don't know how to juggle my camera and phone at the same time. I haven't seen a video like that in a long time.