Blackmagic Update - 14th September 2023 19:00 CET

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Boo hood no IBIS which is a dealbreaker for what would be my intended use.

It could have slotted in nicely otherwise as an alternative to the S5ii and in many ways, would have been a nicer option, but no IBIS, no dice.

Goes back to sit on S2H/S2R fence…

Think it is using the IMX410, readout mode specs fit, so does the ISO rating and DR distribution. Guess we can assume that you will get the con of a rather slow rolling shutter.

Meaning it is still rather similar to the SIGMA fp in terms of image quality. Of course with a much better recording and post production workflow.

What excites me is them moving to the L-mount and also what their future plans could be. I could definitely see myself picking up a Blackmagic camera for my non-event work now that it's using the L-mount. Their price of entry is low enough as it is that I could easily justify it since I'd be able to use all my lenses I've gotten since switching completely to the L-mount.

New Full Frame 6K camera looks great (internally). Love the sensor, OLPF, BRAW, open gate, DR looks impressive despite BMD still claiming 13 stops, internal proxies and a far better mirrorless mount (than EF) means adapting lenses is much easier. If using EF lenses, these is an adaptor that has a built in VariND ( I think Meike make it) so I’m not even too fussed about the lack of ND filters. Biggest issue for me still is the form factor. I’ve had a few BMD Pocket cameras from the P4K to th 6KPro and I hate the form factor. With this new full frame sensor, Black Magic have kinda made a budget Alexa Mini LF (BUDGET!) but I can’t see many film makers wanting this body style anymore. 

Initially, I was disappointed that it wasn't a box cam. But watching some of the demo footage, this might be their first sensor ever that I really like the look of. I just bought an old Red Scarlet-X and that is going to keep me busy for (hopefully) a few more years. But I am looking forward to seeing more footage from this camera. The included OLPF is a big deal and can have a major effect on the look of footage in either a good or bad way. I'm thinking that it might be a good way here.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

My wild speculation is that it will be a groundbreaking stereo 360VR camera using 16K braw files, with built in 3rd order ambisonics audio (in 32bit of course)

Come on man, be realistic! That's totally unreasonably wild speculations, that BMD would never do. 

You should stick with  more serious speculations that are actually possible in this world we live in, such as the  perfectly possible camera I just suggested BMD might release. 

😆😆😆

Love your work, as always!!

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

OK, here is the spec and there are indeed no internal NDs.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/techspecs/W-CIN-20

Looks like they've left room for the Pro version to be released in next-years new camera announcement..  unless you can't fit a FF sensor and ND mechanism into that chassis?

Of course, the real issue is the acronyms!  P6K could be referring to the old S35 6K model or the new FF model, or the new S35 G2 model where the person dropped the G2 part for brevity!

Oh the confusion!!

Just looking at the iPhone app, and there are some interesting things in here.....

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/blackmagiccamera/techspecs/W-APP-01

• Apple ProRes 4444
  • Automatically generates 1920 x 1080 HD HEVC proxy files for each recording
  • 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 48fps, 50fps, 60fps
  • False Color Guides
  • Display LUT Guides
  • Timecode Recording - Record Run or Time of Day (TOD) timecode

Some of these are likely dependent on specific iPhone models, but it looks like they've been digging into the iPhone camera spec and simply unlocking everything they think would be useful?

Then I'd just need to figure out how to launch an app without it taking 17 steps - the default one is on the Lock Screen FFS.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

If using EF lenses, these is an adaptor that has a built in VariND ( I think Meike make it)

The only current one for EF to L is the Fotodiox version which doesn’t have a clear setting unfortunately.

The Meike adapters have the swappable tray so you can swap to clear.

Unfortunately, despite doing it in a range of mounts (including PL to L actually) they don’t yet do it for EF to L.

The Fotodiox version has warnings on their website not to use it on Leica bodies and even the Sigma adapter isn’t compatible with a number of Leica bodies either despite them being part of the L mount alliance.

So it does make me wonder if it is related to full compatibility why we haven’t seen the Meike version appear as the PL to L shows they are able to make adapters for the mount but of course that version doesn’t require AF functionality.

The L mount gaining far more traction through the S5ii and now this new BM camera might give them a bit more incentive to get on with it.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Just looking at the iPhone app, and there are some interesting things in here.....

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/blackmagiccamera/techspecs/W-APP-01

• Apple ProRes 4444
  • False Color Guides
  • Display LUT Guides

Some of these are likely dependent on specific iPhone models, but it looks like they've been digging into the iPhone camera spec and simply unlocking everything they think would be useful?

Then I'd just need to figure out how to launch an app without it taking 17 steps - the default one is on the Lock Screen FFS.

I just downloaded it..  it has shutter angle!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kye said:

Can you use the new Micro Studio Camera as a 4K60 stand-alone camera?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/blackmagicmicrostudiocamera

It has a battery backup, so can you just run it from the battery permanently?

It can record BRAW to USB, it has HDMI out for monitoring (like the previous model).

Yes.

There are plenty of options to run it from NP-F or DTAP for longer run times.

It’s a pity it doesn’t have Bluetooth for function control to make up for the removal of the external control port.

13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes.

There are plenty of options to run it from NP-F or DTAP for longer run times.

It’s a pity it doesn’t have Bluetooth for function control to make up for the removal of the external control port.

Interesting!

I did scour the product page and specs hoping for a wifi interface and an associated control app, but alas.  It also uses the USB-C port for ethernet control, so if you're recording over the USB-C you can't use it for control as well.

The alternative would be to have a SDI recorder/monitor and use the USB-C as a controller, but that's a significant step-up in cost for the recorder. Of course, if you paired it with a BM Video Assist recorder then that would be a sweet package for those who can deal with rigged-up camera packages.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Of course, the real issue is the acronyms!  P6K could be referring to the old S35 6K model or the new FF model, or the new S35 G2 model where the person dropped the G2 part for brevity!

Oh the confusion!!

You forgot the P6K Pro version...

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, kye said:

Interesting!

I did scour the product page and specs hoping for a wifi interface and an associated control app, but alas.  It also uses the USB-C port for ethernet control, so if you're recording over the USB-C you can't use it for control as well.

The alternative would be to have a SDI recorder/monitor and use the USB-C as a controller, but that's a significant step-up in cost for the recorder. Of course, if you paired it with a BM Video Assist recorder then that would be a sweet package for those who can deal with rigged-up camera packages.

The control does come through the SDI port as well so they could make a Bluetooth adapter into that.

The BM video assist would give a benefit in terms of being able to record ProRes as it is worth bearing in mind that this camera can only record BRAW.

It’s not a bad sort of kind of box version of the P4K but where this camera really scores is with the ATEM where you can control and live switch them but then use their BRAW recordings to post produce a higher quality tuned version in 4K as the ATEM automatically produces a Resolve project with the multi cam timeline that you then just drop the files from the camera into.

You can now have a live stream setup with hardware switching of four channels of fully controllable cameras with ISO recording in 4K BRAW for under £4K.

It’s pretty amazing really.

So, the fact that BM joined L-mount makes me hopefull. DJI is rumored to produce an L-mount camera too which alltogeether will strengthen the alliance.. but this camera is not really ground breaking or anything like that. Form factor is meh, no NDs, no PDAF, frame rates are average. I can forgive it not having an IBIS as it has a very capable Gyro IS which you can apply in Resolve. But overall thats a postive move for all L-mount users. 

Eager to see what DJI cooks up. Those guys dont beat around the bush and deliver a banger straight away. A fresh take of their Ronin 4D in a camera form factor striped of a gimbal would be bonkers. 

4 hours ago, kye said:

• Apple ProRes 4444
  • False Color Guides
  • Display LUT Guides

Say goodbye to filmic pro and their money grabbing subscription