A6700 - FX30 sensor 👀

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course Sony could not deliver everything at once - front dial is there, but no joystick on the back. Ok, since their AF is so reliable, you could always go for tracking and recompose, but a miss anyways.

$100 more than a X-S20 (which I guess it is its primary competition). Better in some ways, wors in others.

- Back LCD: VERY bad, 1.0 million dots, compared to the 1.8 million of the X-S20. Fuji wins
- EVF: both have (probably the same panel) 2.36 mp. The magnification is better on Sony, 0.7x against 0.62 on Fuji. Sony wins.
- IBIS: 7 stops on Fuji, 5 on Sony. But all these must be seen in real world. Both are usually bad for video.
- Weather sealing: Sony have (even a light one), Fuji not.
- As stated, Fuji have joystick, Sony not (only the LCD trackpad). 
- Video modes: 6.2k open gate on Fuji, not open gate AFAIK on Sony. The bitrates are higher on Fuji too, 4k until 360mbps, 100 mbps on Sony - albeit dunno if there is a huge difference on quality. Since is the same quality of the other Sonys, probably not.
- SD card slot on the side for the Sony: always a plus.

Looking good for Fuji, my X-S20 is on the way, but...this one is the 1st tempting Sony for me. 

First, a personal reason: I prefer "rangerfinder" bodies for not-being-noted reasons. Second: because Sony already have a AF mode perfect for me, that ONLY Fujifilm does not have for video: have a single AF point on the frame, half press, track the subject. No more worries tracking a person in frame, with a lot of people behind.

Ths X-S20 have (kinda of a lot) things better in my opinion: open gate, Film Simulation for stills, AF joystick, maybe a better IBIS (some user reports are saying that is much better for video now). But the video AF in the Fujis is currently my worse problem - and looks like that a general tracking in video will never be implemented.

And there are some user reportings emerging about overheating in video with the X-S20. Will test when mine arrives.

But reliable AF in a rangefinder body is starting to make me thinking about Sony.

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Of course Sony could not deliver everything at once - front dial is there, but no joystick on the back. Ok, since their AF is so reliable, you could always go for tracking and recompose, but a miss anyways.

$100 more than a X-S20 (which I guess it is its primary competition). Better in some ways, wors in others.

- Back LCD: VERY bad, 1.0 million dots, compared to the 1.8 million of the X-S20. Fuji wins
- EVF: both have (probably the same panel) 2.36 mp. The magnification is better on Sony, 0.7x against 0.62 on Fuji. Sony wins.
- IBIS: 7 stops on Fuji, 5 on Sony. But all these must be seen in real world. Both are usually bad for video.
- Weather sealing: Sony have (even a light one), Fuji not.
- As stated, Fuji have joystick, Sony not (only the LCD trackpad). 
- Video modes: 6.2k open gate on Fuji, not open gate AFAIK on Sony. The bitrates are higher on Fuji too, 4k until 360mbps, 100 mbps on Sony - albeit dunno if there is a huge difference on quality. Since is the same quality of the other Sonys, probably not.
- SD card slot on the side for the Sony: always a plus.

Looking good for Fuji, my X-S20 is on the way, but...this one is the 1st tempting Sony for me. 

First, a personal reason: I prefer "rangerfinder" bodies for not-being-noted reasons. Second: because Sony already have a AF mode perfect for me, that ONLY Fujifilm does not have for video: have a single AF point on the frame, half press, track the subject. No more worries tracking a person in frame, with a lot of people behind.

Ths X-S20 have (kinda of a lot) things better in my opinion: open gate, Film Simulation for stills, AF joystick, maybe a better IBIS (some user reports are saying that is much better for video now). But the video AF in the Fujis is currently my worse problem - and looks like that a general tracking in video will never be implemented.

And there are some user reportings emerging about overheating in video with the X-S20. Will test when mine arrives.

But reliable AF in a rangefinder body is starting to make me thinking about Sony.

AF is such a basic necessity on these cameras I sold my Fuji. I I’ll never return till AF is as good - not nearly as good - as Sony and canon. Not even a question. 

10 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

AF is such a basic necessity on these cameras I sold my Fuji. I I’ll never return till AF is as good - not nearly as good - as Sony and canon. Not even a question. 

Just got a reply from the local vendor, my X-S20 should arrive only in July 25th. 😐

Fuji AF got better in this last generation - not on par with Sony, Canon or even PDAF Panasonic - but could be enough for me.

But not having a Wide  / Tracking mode in video is inexcusable. Even OM Digital have a (poor) one. Even Fuji have it for stills, but not for video.

Pretty good value for $1400. Basically FX30 specs in an Alpha body with added A7RV/ZV-E1 AI chip/specs plus mechanical shutter & EVF. Thermals seem pretty decent too. For pro video I'd still probably spend the $400 extra for the pro FX body, I/O, dual card slots and fan but this is a solid APS-C hybrid. Sony's on a roll with all these camera releases!

Would rather take a GH6 instead, same dynamic range, worse AF, anything else better for my use, such as awesome codecs, framerates, colour integrety in low light, thick colours, full HDMI, innovative screen, framerates.. But first gotta sell my old S1. Though I could keep that one and still have a better cam than this Sony newbie, other than AF for video.

A 100Mbit codec for UHD on a 2023 camera is so 2014 GH4. This Sony is not an attractive looking camera for my taste, buttons, surface, lines, despite it featuring a rangefinder design. But it will be the best of the APSC A line of Sony cameras, maybe except the classic A6000, with its nice 709 colours and creamy HD image and a convincing 50mbit HD codec for around 200 to 300 USD on the used market.:)

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Find someone that loves you the way Sony loves releasing cameras that overheat.

I'm sure there will be people that defend it (there always are) but it's unacceptable that it still happens, regardless of the price. 

Yeah, you can easily tell when Canon does everyone and their dogs bark about it, but when Sony does it you see plenty of people try to work around the shortcoming or said who does 30min+ boring videos 🤭 

15 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah, you can easily tell when Canon does everyone and their dogs bark about it, but when Sony does it you see plenty of people try to work around the shortcoming or said who does 30min+ boring videos 🤭 

Some people are so married to their camera brand of choice and overlook/excuse almost anything, it's maddening. There are inevitably going to be limitations with any camera, but it's inexcusable to release cameras that overheat because you refuse to get thermal management under control, whether it's through more efficient software or designing a body that can adequately dissipate heat. 

10 minutes ago, barefoot_dp said:

They already released the version that doesn't.

What a poor, but completely unsurprising, excuse.

As frustrating as it was when they still had 30 minute record limits (and in the case of the RX100 series, 5 minute record limits) at least it was honest and people knew exactly what to expect.