Lenses

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks a lot better in black!

The Petzval or the VLEV HELIOS? 😛

Getting the Petzval in brass black and the IGA VLEV HELIOS in black without any optic mods in metric PL mount with their PL to EF adapter (I do like the look of the white one, but there's a reason most lenses are black, want to keep reflections to a minimum). Did go with the 16 bladed aperture mod (which I didn't notice was an option until I saw the Stormtrooper's listing and went over its specifics, so 8, 13 or 16; luckily my order was delayed, there were some production improvements made).

I do realize my new year's resolution was to refrain from purchases, but I'm a lens nut, like an alcoholic saying 'ok, now this will really be my last drink'. Also excited for the Sirui anamorphic to start shipping. And all of these were backed with vast discounts, so not like it's thrown away money, they aren't Handevision Ibelux or Meyer Optik Görlitz hipster mark up value bubble lenses, they actually sell for what they're about worth and should retain their value quite well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually really quite interesting, e.g. how they combat focus breathing and T-stop measurement conditions.

Sticking to cinema lenses... Vazen now as well with MFT 28mm T2.2 1.8x anamorphic. Almost looks Veydra-sized.

nSJwMow.jpg

That Vazen looks really cool.  If you're into anamorphic then it might be a situation of "the only lens you'd ever need" having the width of a FF equiv 31mm spherical lens, putting it squarely between the 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm lenses.  Many classic films were shot on a single prime, and that one isn't too big or heavy (720g), unlike the 40mm (1.8kg).

On 2/15/2020 at 6:23 AM, Cinegain said:

Actually really quite interesting, e.g. how they combat focus breathing and T-stop measurement conditions.

Sticking to cinema lenses... Vazen now as well with MFT 28mm T2.2 1.8x anamorphic. Almost looks Veydra-sized.

nSJwMow.jpg

It looks more than just Veydra size; it looks exactly like a Veydra. The Veydra engineer mentioned the potential release of anamorphic designs at some point. I wonder if he sold the designs or made a deal with the Vazen folks?

3 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

It looks more than just Veydra size; it looks exactly like a Veydra. The Veydra engineer mentioned the potential release of anamorphic designs at some point. I wonder if he sold the designs or made a deal with the Vazen folks?

Was believe NAB 2015 that Ryan Avery showcased Veydra's interest in releasing anamorphics. But 2x anamorphic and quite a bit bigger than that? It also was specifically designed for the GH4's multi aspect ratio sensor and crops, so when the GH5 dropped, they abandoned any further development. But in this industry and Meike releasing basically Veydra clones, who knows...

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Was believe NAB 2015 that Ryan Avery showcased Veydra's interest in releasing anamorphics. But 2x anamorphic and quite a bit bigger than that? It also was specifically designed for the GH4's multi aspect ratio sensor and crops, so when the GH5 dropped, they abandoned any further development. But in this industry and Meike releasing basically Veydra clones, who knows...

I for one can't wait for 300$ chinese anamorphic clones to start coming up. 

• Administrators
On 2/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, Cinegain said:

Art Adams in particular is excellent in this, really good explanations.

Good video

I'll be up for that mooted look at the Master prime anamorphics!!

42 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Got the Optitek ProLock Nikon G to Sony FZ adapter to mount my G lenses to a Sony F3. Got it for a low price, but holy **** it is worth every single cent, Rock solid, no play and I have confidence everything else will break before the adapter does. 

IMG_20200224_203738.jpg

IMG_20200224_203549.jpg

Didn't realize you had an F3, how do you like it?

9 hours ago, mercer said:

Didn't realize you had an F3, how do you like it?

Really enjoying it so far. Funnily enough it's not actually my camera. There is a great media center nearby that rents out cameras for members. A bunch of blackmagic 4K cameras, some canon handicams, and Sony Mirrorless cameras. No one rents out the 2 F3's they have, both have the S-log/4:4:4 upgrade. Perhaps it's also because they had bad EF adapters on them that flare like mad (even the sample with my face here has it, hence me buying the adapter).  I've been able to borrow them for weeks at a time. I'm still early days on shooting with it but I love it, love the color even out of the internal 8-bit files. 

S-Log External 

Voigtlander 28mm SL II 2.8

F3 painter_1.9.1.jpg

Voightlander 90mm 3.5 SL II

F3 voigtlander 90mm_1.8.1.jpg

Voigtlander 40 mm f2

medal_1.2.1.jpg

Internal Slog (just started shooting this but will be using it more, does not break as much as I thought it would) Nikon 24-70 2.8G

1672959110_internalslog_1_11.1.thumb.jpg.e84c67a7bb1f4579695ad3ff6c7514a0.jpg

11 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Really enjoying it so far. Funnily enough it's not actually my camera. There is a great media center nearby that rents out cameras for members. A bunch of blackmagic 4K cameras, some canon handicams, and Sony Mirrorless cameras. No one rents out the 2 F3's they have, both have the S-log/4:4:4 upgrade. Perhaps it's also because they had crappy EF adapters on them that flare like mad (even the sample with my face here has it, hence me buying the adapter).  I've been able to borrow them for weeks at a time. I'm still early days on shooting with it but I love it, love the color even out of the internal 8-bit files. 

S-Log External 

F3 painter_1.9.1.jpg

F3 voigtlander 90mm_1.8.1.jpg

medal_1.2.1.jpg

Internal Slog (just started shooting this but will be using it more, does not break as much as I thought it would)

1672959110_internalslog_1_11.1.thumb.jpg.e84c67a7bb1f4579695ad3ff6c7514a0.jpg

That middle shot from the sLog external looks high end... like theatrical level!!! Great work. What external recorder are you using?

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

That middle shot from the sLog external looks high end... like theatrical level!!! Great work. What external recorder are you using?

Thanks! I've been using The Blackmagic 7" 12G recorder, works great. 10 bit 4:2:2 over SDI

IMG_20200221_083955.jpg

8 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Thanks! I've been using The Blackmagic 7" 12G recorder, works great. 10 bit 4:2:2 over SDI

Would the original 5" BMVA work with the F3?

Btw that media center sounds awesome. I wish there was something like that near me... I assume you don't live out in the Philly suburbs anymore? 

You could make a feature film on a "borrowed" F3 and keep your budget next to nothing. That's really cool. 

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Would the original 5" BMVA work with the F3?

Btw that media center sounds awesome. I wish there was something like that near me... I assume you don't live out in the Philly suburbs anymore? 

You could make a feature film on a "borrowed" F3 and keep your budget next to nothing. That's really cool. 

Yes it can get a 10-bit 4:2:2 signal to the original BMVA. It's a pretty great combo now.

I moved back to Cape Cod, missed it greatly when I was in philly. The media center is up here is pretty great, they have gear and edit stations as well. https://capemedia.org/    A great bunch, filmmakers, some VFX and audio engineers work their. Really a priceless resource up here.