R5 vs R6

Django

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Not a fan of mac. So I will have to wait on a PC alternative. A lot can happen in a year, and I dont have any jobs right now anyhow. 

Yeah I’m sure new tech is coming soon. I am not an Apple guy but the specs were too good to pass for the relatively low price.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:14 PM, Django said:

Long time no post. I've been riding this one out. After some comparative testing I'm leaning towards the R6 as an upgrade to my sold EOS R.

Why? First the obvious, it's 2K cheaper and I can't really justify the R5 at this point in time.

Second, after some testing the R6 4K (supersampled from 5.5K) footage really isn't that much worse than R5 4K HQ and is much better than R5 4K LQ.

Third, I don't need 8K or Raw. Too heavy files, too much editing processing power needed.

Fourth, although 45MP could be useful, 20MP will do just fine.

The only real downside I see for my needs is the poor RS and a warmer yellow tint on the R6.

Anyone else agree/disagree? Oh and yes I know about the overheating & the A7S3 😅

The 8k 8bit all-i and IPB isnt bad either.  Its easy to edit too.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:40 PM, Emanuel said:

I am sold with 4K 120fps too : ) Hey BTW you R5 people, what about the workaround to overcome timers, is it working fine with zero hassles?

Yesterday I was shooting bowl jam all day using mix of 4k25/50/100p, i didn't get the overheating warning but I did get down to 5 min, so for last grand final I did the reset trick (with v1.2 firmware) and worked. Weatherwise it got some patch of clouds so not boiling hot but still hot as it is the hottest month down here. 

20210206_123713.jpg

20210206_095625.jpg

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yesterday I was shooting bowl jam all day using mix of 4k25/50/100p, i didn't get the overheating warning but I did get down to 5 min, so for last grand final I did the reset trick (with v1.2 firmware) and worked. Weatherwise it got some patch of clouds so not boiling hot but still hot as it is the hottest month down here. 

20210206_123713.jpg

20210206_095625.jpg

Would love to see the footage!

On 2/6/2021 at 1:25 PM, ntblowz said:

Yesterday I was shooting bowl jam all day using mix of 4k25/50/100p, i didn't get the overheating warning but I did get down to 5 min

How long did you actually shoot if you can remember? I had mine out the other day in -2C weather (wind chill was pretty bitter) shot up to the imposed 30min restriction, changed battery, and SD card and turned the camera back on and it said I had full recording ability. Camera was off for like 5 mins. So its definitely factoring in the actual temps with latest firmware.

Still wish they would improve it more so I can essential forget about it.

13 hours ago, Django said:

@plucas: I found an easier method: hit info in AWB settings and switch from default ambient to white priority mode. this eliminates the warm tint under tungsten lighting.

I picked up an R6 by the way, and so far so good! really impressed by the IQ.

I like that in 2021 there's a time and place for professionals to use AWB, autofocus, and auto ISO (i.e. with the C70).

There's some talk that the "Canon colors" on the R6 (and more recent models) depart from the look of the C300, C100, and 1DC. Do you find that the R6's color in C-Log, be it with Cinema EOS Original or Neutral, does justice to "Canon colors" if that look is something you want?

What is the hd quality like on the R6 -  I keep reading conflicting reports on how usable it is? Would be looking preferablyat how it is in full frame mode.  At times I would need to be able to rely on the camera all day so wouldn't want to risk the 4k overheating. If the HD is C100 type quality then I could deal with the overheating and average DR, if it's closer to good old Canon dslr HD then I'm not interested. We have a lot of Canon lenses at work and it would be nice to use them a bit more rather than me always bringing my Fuji in for video stuff

@plucas : Yes I use AWB, AF & maybe even Auto-ISO for run & gun shooting on mirrorless. For more narrative work or higher-end projects in controlled environments, I'll usually switch to a cine cam with all proper manual settings. So it's not so much about the year we're in but really what the budget/project requires. 😉 

As for the Canon colours, in my humble opinion, the R5/R6 have the best IQ yet on a Canon. The oversampling,10-bit 4:2:2 and low-light capability on the R6 just gives an outstanding image and color. It definitely has the "Canon" colours but with every generation sensor, they are tweaked. The biggest gripe in my early tests was that warm yellow tint but since I have the AWB set to white priority I'm getting perfect colors.

@ade towell The FHD IQ is the best I've seen on recent Canons. It almost feels supersampled. On my 5K iMac Prothe FHD looks so sharp I sometimes have to double check the resolution settings. So yeah, very impressed with the FHD which is definitely not Canon soft HD.

I can also add that the R6 has really good low-light capabilities and the noise is fine grain like which gives it more filmic quality than the usual horrible banding of some Canon sensors.

Thanks for the feedback, I imagine the 10 bit is a pig to edit without a state of the art computer or by transcoding, at times I may want to bypass this for speed with long form stuff - can you use c-log in 8 bit? A pity they aren't utilising all the DR the camera has with c-log 2 & 3, I hear rumours of it coming in firmware update but I've learnt never to presume anything with these camera companies

No 8-bit log option. The 10 bit is h265 so yeah I transcode it to ProRes. I don't think you need a state of the art computer anymore, apparently a $899 MacBook Air with the new M1 chip can cut it, but yeah that's still an investment.

C-Log 3 is supposedly coming to the R5 this month, unfortunately I highly doubt the R6 will get it. 

Ah ok thanks that's a shame on both counts - the 8 bit flog on the Fuji is really nice to have when I need it, I use Resolve with a few years old Windows pc so always transcode for 10bit h265.

Maybe the R5 will be worth the extra if c-log3 does happen, DR is important to me and looks like the RS is also much better than the R6.    

6 hours ago, Django said:

No 8-bit log option. The 10 bit is h265 so yeah I transcode it to ProRes. I don't think you need a state of the art computer anymore, apparently a $899 MacBook Air with the new M1 chip can cut it, but yeah that's still an investment.

C-Log 3 is supposedly coming to the R5 this month, unfortunately I highly doubt the R6 will get it. 

If you are in the PC realm H265 is still a hog but yeah the new MAC's breeze through it. One of the big reasons I got a new MacBook Air. H265 is quite nice. Quick render times and small files sizes with little compromises unless you are really pushing the footage. 

23 hours ago, Django said:

@plucas : Yes I use AWB, AF & maybe even Auto-ISO for run & gun shooting on mirrorless. For more narrative work or higher-end projects in controlled environments, I'll usually switch to a cine cam with all proper manual settings. So it's not so much about the year we're in but really what the budget/project requires. 😉 

As for the Canon colours, in my humble opinion, the R5/R6 have the best IQ yet on a Canon. The oversampling,10-bit 4:2:2 and low-light capability on the R6 just gives an outstanding image and color. It definitely has the "Canon" colours but with every generation sensor, they are tweaked. The biggest gripe in my early tests was that warm yellow tint but since I have the AWB set to white priority I'm getting perfect colors.

@ade towell The FHD IQ is the best I've seen on recent Canons. It almost feels supersampled. On my 5K iMac Prothe FHD looks so sharp I sometimes have to double check the resolution settings. So yeah, very impressed with the FHD which is definitely not Canon soft HD.

I can also add that the R6 has really good low-light capabilities and the noise is fine grain like which gives it more filmic quality than the usual horrible banding of some Canon sensors.

You're right about IQ. Besides the limitations of CLog1, the oversampled 4K has an image that can, under some conditions, easily rival the C70 and C500 to my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting the R6 through its paces during winter school break. Shot in 8-bit standard profile using a mix of 4K & (100FPS) FHD on a 2K timeline. Various AF modes were put to use (Face Priority, Face & Object tracking). Camera was set to Auto-ISO.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this camera, given the sub $2.5K pricing. No fancy features just solid IQ, AF & IBIS. Zero overheat even at the beach today with 20 celsius. Of course I will keep testing but my confidence with Canon is somewhat restored, I will probably go with a C70 down the line for more pro work.