Canon silently recalling EOS R5?

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Davos said:

You know what I think lies behind this 'weirdness', which is widespread amongst retailers, prospective / actual customers, YT'ers etc. People wanted to believe it was all possible. They really really wanted what Canon appeared to be offering. The desire was on another level to previous new camera launches. This was Canon after all. 

The problem is it's turned typically more rational individuals into accepting a situation they really shouldn't. Making all manner of excuses for Canon, accepting all the ridiculous 'workarounds' etc. Basically turning them into fanboy lite. 

Agreed.

Its got more more than a whiff of this about it.

johsnonzip.thumb.jpg.b185a1ee61939621b1ad3e37a359770b.jpg

Particularly the having to take refuge in a fridge aspect.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, Stanly said:

As I've replied on YouTube – all modes "overheat"! It's just that the message about it is displayed only when switching to 8K / 4K HQ / slow motion.

Meaning: you can be sitting in the menus, or taking a couple of stills for an hour. As soon as you switch to video – camera will let you know it was "overheating" all this time and can no longer film. Even power off.

It puzzles me why won't Canon do a hybrid camera for all of us to eventually spend millions on RF glass?

I actually have the R5 and a set of RF lenses, so I can personally confirm the behavior of the cameras overheat protection protocol is questionable. I've seen it throw the warning at idle, and in the menus. I've used it with the ninja V for over an hour continuously and after it became really HOT, switched over to recording internally in HQ modes with full time allowance as if the camera had never been turned on prior to internal recording. 

It puzzles us all but I'm certainly not going to buy a C300 mk iii or a RF cine camera in an attempt to fulfill the void in what they sold as the R5. 

But if the 'overheat' issue is nothing more than a timer of such and no actual overheating occurs as Andrews seems to suggest, then why would they need to recall any units?

Surely Canon could save face by putting their hands up saying that there is an issue with the firmware and issue a prompt firmware fix? If they took this approach, most people would forget about this whole saga in a matter of weeks or months. None of this makes any sense but Canon's silence on the whole saga is what most concerns me.

After the lies and silence, I for one, will never buy a Canon DSLR again.  

21 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

not going to buy a C300 mk iii or a RF cine camera in an attempt to fulfill the void in what they sold as the R5. 

Same thing here! I will only buy an RF cine camera as an addition to hybrid camera because it's the main tool for what we do, even though we use video cameras for some projects.

1 minute ago, Stanly said:

Same thing here! I will only buy an RF cine camera as an addition to hybrid camera because it's the main tool for what we do, even though we use video cameras for some projects.

Really should let Canon know about this, pretty sure there are quite a few people are like that mindset

They need to be careful with what they “fix”. They don’t want to admit anything was intentional. And they certainly don’t want to give their customers anything that might even lead to second guessing a cinema line camera might not be necessary. Maybe they have strong data that shows there is a large crossover between a hybrid with good video features and their lower end cinema cameras. I personally would just buy another company’s hybrid mirrorless before buying a canon cinema body but maybe the market of people who are choosing between the two is much larger. Which still doesn’t excuse any of their atrocious behavior over the years. 

5 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Ah, I see what you did there... never buy a Canon ‘DSLR’ again, leaving the mirrorless door ajar 😘

At least those DSLRs didn't overheat and were reliable for professionals. Why did Canon not just release the R5 with canon like video specs (like 4k line skipping) and no  4khq and 8k? This overheating thing will damage their mirrorless brand because Canon always stood for reliability before.

4 hours ago, kye said:

TLDW; he didn't cancel but ended it on a cliffhanger.  He did talk about being productive instead of focusing on equipment though.

Focus instead on being productive? With his R5? Talk about irony.

Don't focus on equipment? Looks like he didn't take his own advice given the vast majority of his videos are about - equipment. Actually he'd rather you didn't focus on the fact he pushed the R5 like a champ with McKinnon then ended up with egg on his face when it turned out it was a total dud.

Instead, he's now saying focus on telling stories, use stock clips and completely coincidentally mentions story blocks - for all your stock footage needs. Use coupon code 'matti' for 10% off - thanks story blocks!

Total shill. Total joke.

10 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Ah, I see what you did there... never buy a Canon ‘DSLR’ again, leaving the mirrorless door ajar 😘

Haha, yeah but nah........

I'm done with Canon's hybrid/mirrorless  line... whatever you want to call them. I just can't support a company like Canon when there are so many other great options out there.

There really is no need to deal with Canon's bullshit.

9 hours ago, Davos said:

Focus instead on being productive? With his R5? Talk about irony.

Don't focus on equipment? Looks like he didn't take his own advice given the vast majority of his videos are about - equipment. Actually he'd rather you didn't focus on the fact he pushed the R5 like a champ with McKinnon then ended up with egg on his face when it turned out it was a total dud.

Instead, he's now saying focus on telling stories, use stock clips and completely coincidentally mentions story blocks - for all your stock footage needs. Use coupon code 'matti' for 10% off - thanks story blocks!

Total shill. Total joke.

PM also did a video recently stating that 'content is everything' after this whole R5 fiasco blew up. These two are really back-pedalling hard!

The problem with their argument is this....sure content is king, being productive and actually making something with your camera is more important than pixel peeping and agonising over camera specs BUT when the camera you have stops you from being able to create content or stops you from being able to be productive because the camera is NOT WORKING, then it's time to ditch that POS and move on. 

A 4K, 1080p, 720p or even SD camera is better at shooting content than an "overheated" R5. Sure, those R5 specs sound impressive, but when you only get those specs for an hour or two a day (and two hours seems generous here!) and the rest of the time the camera is a brick, ANY camera that allows you to record images regardless of specs has it beat!

For a fleeting moment I was ready to possibly give Canon another look as my personal / family camera but after this, zero chance. My Fuji X-T2 still takes great shots so I'm in no rush but I am intrigued by this new Full Frame Panasonic due to be announced soon. 

2 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

PM also did a video recently stating that 'content is everything' after this whole R5 fiasco blew up. These two are really back-pedalling hard!

The problem with their argument is this....sure content is king, being productive and actually making something with your camera is more important than pixel peeping and agonising over camera specs BUT when the camera you have stops you from being able to create content or stops you from being able to be productive because the camera is NOT WORKING, then it's time to ditch that POS and move on. 

A 4K, 1080p, 720p or even SD camera is better at shooting content than an "overheated" R5. Sure, those R5 specs sound impressive, but when you only get those specs for an hour or two a day (and two hours seems generous here!) and the rest of the time the camera is a brick, ANY camera that allows you to record images regardless of specs has it beat!

For a fleeting moment I was ready to possibly give Canon another look as my personal / family camera but after this, zero chance. My Fuji X-T2 still takes great shots so I'm in no rush but I am intrigued by this new Full Frame Panasonic due to be announced soon. 

Here is another way to look at it:

How much was the A7R1V when it came out ?  - $3499 (has basic 8 bit 420 4k 24p, 1080 24/60/120 fps)

How much was the 5d MK1V when it came out ? - $3499 (Cropped 4k 24p, 1080P 24/60 fps)

How much is the R5 currently ? $3899 - So for the extra $400, the R5 does almost everything of what the cameras above do, PLUS you are getting - 4k 10 bit 422 internally , Unlimited 4k 24p 5.1 oversampled in super 35 mode, Unlimited normal 4k 24p which looks amazing once sharpened,  Unlimited 4k 24p HQ over the atomos, minimum, restricted and somewhat useless -  8k, 4k HQ, 4k60/120Fps once the camera overheats. Decide if extra $400 is worth it. But as it is, it is still the only High MP camera that can do all of this and has no real competition. 

Before you compare it to the A7siii, that is a video camera and not a photo camera. Yes 12 mp is fine for photos and online content, but so is 1080p video.... 🤷🏽‍♂️

I agree the marketing of this camera was a total FAIL. And some of the conspiracy theories pointing to canons practices are surely questionable.  I appreciate what Andrew is doing because at the end of the day it is still a win win for us if Canon does something about the overheating. 

36 minutes ago, Mustafa Ali said:

Here is another way to look at it:

How much was the A7R1V when it came out ?  - $3499 (has basic 8 bit 420 4k 24p, 1080 24/60/120 fps)

How much was the 5d MK1V when it came out ? - $3499 (Cropped 4k 24p, 1080P 24/60 fps)

How much is the R5 currently ? $3899 - So for the extra $400, the R5 does almost everything of what the cameras above do, PLUS you are getting - 4k 10 bit 422 internally , Unlimited 4k 24p 5.1 oversampled in super 35 mode, Unlimited normal 4k 24p which looks amazing once sharpened,  Unlimited 4k 24p HQ over the atomos, minimum, restricted and somewhat useless -  8k, 4k HQ, 4k60/120Fps once the camera overheats. Decide if extra $400 is worth it. But as it is, it is still the only High MP camera that can do all of this and has no real competition. 

Before you compare it to the A7siii, that is a video camera and not a photo camera. Yes 12 mp is fine for photos and online content, but so is 1080p video.... 🤷🏽‍♂️

I agree the marketing of this camera was a total FAIL. And some of the conspiracy theories pointing to canons practices are surely questionable.  I appreciate what Andrew is doing because at the end of the day it is still a win win for us if Canon does something about the overheating. 

Dear,

where you found the camera for 3899? I see as minimum 4700 US Dollars.