Jump to content

Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...


jgharding
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

It breaks easily and requires you to have a cage for the camera to use it reliably without it falling out or getting pulled out easily. Full and even miniHDMI you can get away with just plugging it in sometimes but I never trust micro and don't want to lug a cage whenever I want to use and external monitor. 

Honestly hope the S5 releases for $1500 and kills used prices on the S1, that way I can pick one up with the XLR input. It really is a rock solid camera with no negatives for me except the lack of great video AF.... and I really don't use video AF right now, it would just be nice to have. 

ed2_1.2.1.jpg

ed_1.1.1.jpg

Never used an S1 camera before, but i guess I will never hook it up to a external monitor (because of weight and power). Have other camera's that will do that just fine. This camera for me is all about compact travel videography and photography, and for shoots where I need B-roll where the low weight, small form factor and ibis will benefit me greatly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, herein2020 said:

For me the S5 is dead to me because of the lens mount. The cost of the body would be reasonable all the way up to around $2300USD to me, but having to buy new glass just gives me a headache. That's why I would much rather that a GH6 were released....I'd be willing to buy a new body if that was the only cost. But for me to spend upwards of $6K (body plus a few lenses) it will need to have better AF, and be useable as a true hybrid camera like I thought the R6 would be. I don't know why I still somehow think Canon will "fix" the R6, but that is my hope.

ahm..oummf...I am a bit like this at the moment, not ready to invest on a new system, some m43, EF and EF-S lenses around the house,  a Pocket somewhere on a closet, full set of NX system (4 cameras, 8 lenses), I was hoping the R6 would be "that", but it isn't, and more so I have a small issue with something that is unfixable, the mgpxls count is a bit on the lower side for me.

I will be waiting for the GH6, for sure, no way in this economy I buy anything out of G.A.S, but I am not that excited about anything, really.

Everything is missing some important point for a damn middle hybrid camera (even going to smaller sensors I am not 100%).

If they achieve GH5S ISO performance with a bigger resolution for photos, then I could probably be fine with the GH6.

If they "solve" some of the R6 issues early next year (together a price drop), it can be that. Nikon is trying hard, can it be? the alliance needs more lenses, and cheaper ones. Will the A7iv be the best Sony all arounder ever? Will Fuji bring a totally amazing camera, without missing some small, but important, points? All of these need some new lenses as well, maybe Canon has the advantage with the clever vND EF - RF adapter..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

ahm..oummf...I am a bit like this at the moment, not ready to invest on a new system, some m43, EF and EF-S lenses around the house,  a Pocket somewhere on a closet, full set of NX system (4 cameras, 8 lenses), I was hoping the R6 would be "that", but it isn't, and more so I have a small issue with something that is unfixable, the mgpxls count is a bit on the lower side for me.

I will be waiting for the GH6, for sure, no way in this economy I buy anything out of G.A.S, but I am not that excited about anything, really.

Everything is missing some important point for a damn middle hybrid camera (even going to smaller sensors I am not 100%).

If they achieve GH5S ISO performance with a bigger resolution for photos, then I could probably be fine with the GH6.

If they "solve" some of the R6 issues early next year (together a price drop), it can be that. Nikon is trying hard, can it be? the alliance needs more lenses, and cheaper ones. Will the A7iv be the best Sony all arounder ever? Will Fuji bring a totally amazing camera, without missing some small, but important, points? All of these need some new lenses as well, maybe Canon has the advantage with the clever vND EF - RF adapter..

 

Canon for me has more problems than the obvious (fake overheating). I really like the GH5's XLR adapter, dual slot video recording, and no video recording time limits.  The R6 will still cutoff at 29min even if it did not overheat, it will not record video to both cards at the same time (only images), and I'd have to give up XLR audio without some clunky additional workaround like an external XLR recorder. On the other hand it has Canon's colors, will hopefully get CLOG3 which will perfectly match with the C200, and will take fantastic images.

The S5 will have nearly all the same problems as the GH5 (no AF, no CLOG3, no Canon colors, not something I would want to use for photography) but at a much higher price point with the marginal benefit of maybe a little more DR and maybe better highlight rolloff.

It is like everyone keeps saying, there is no perfect hybrid; at this point it is starting to almost seem deliberate; but I just don't see what any of these companies have to gain by coming so close then failing so miserably in the areas that matter the most.

I'm with you, I am definitely sitting this year out and hoping next year will be a better one. If next year is like this year, then I guess I'll sit that one out as well....everything I have works just good enough that I don' t have to make compromises to get into my next camera body; I'm already making compromises and at least those have already been paid for (and paid for themselves), the rest of this year I am going to focus on improving my Davinci Resolve editing skills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

 

Canon for me has more problems than the obvious (fake overheating). I really like the GH5's XLR adapter, dual slot video recording, and no video recording time limits.  The R6 will still cutoff at 29min even if it did not overheat, it will not record video to both cards at the same time (only images), and I'd have to give up XLR audio without some clunky additional workaround like an external XLR recorder. On the other hand it has Canon's colors, will hopefully get CLOG3 which will perfectly match with the C200, and will take fantastic images.

The S5 will have nearly all the same problems as the GH5 (no AF, no CLOG3, no Canon colors, not something I would want to use for photography) but at a much higher price point with the marginal benefit of maybe a little more DR and maybe better highlight rolloff.

S5 have full Vlog which is same as clog3 DR wise, DR on the S1 is a lot better than GH5s or clog1.., not just a bit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

S5 have full Vlog which is same as clog3 DR wise, DR on the S1 is a lot better than GH5s or clog1.., not just a bit.  

Yes, but I'm thinking if both cameras shot in CLOG3 with the same color science then my single CLOG3 to Rec709 LUT would immediately make both cameras perfectly match (if all other camera settings were equal). As it stands now, I have to do a bit of fiddling each time to get the different cameras to match up to the C200.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Yes, but I'm thinking if both cameras shot in CLOG3 with the same color science then my single CLOG3 to Rec709 LUT would immediately make both cameras perfectly match (if all other camera settings were equal). As it stands now, I have to do a bit of fiddling each time to get the different cameras to match up to the C200.

I m waiting for RF cinema cam with the c200 sensor for $3500, that will match c200 perfectly.  (same sensor, same log, much smaller size)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I m waiting for RF cinema cam with the c200 sensor for $3500, that will match c200 perfectly.  (same sensor, same log, much smaller size)

78% sure that will be a disappointment!

What we want will be the "other" 6500$ Canon!

Is this 3.5K going to have any 10bit modes, for starters? If not, then what is the point in 2020?

Maybe, even the A7sIII will be a better video tool than a basic Canon video one.

Does anyone known what lenses can one adapt to these S cameras? What about EF? 

Why they do not have an m43 mode? A la crop mode? Imagine an S5 able to use natively an m43 lens. Is that even possible or I had one too many Negronis again?!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

 

Does anyone known what lenses can one adapt to these S cameras? What about EF? 

 

There are now L mount adapters for pretty much all lenses, including PL amd medium format speedboosters.

For EF, Sigma do the MC21 adapter but the new one on the block that is of particular interest is the Fotodiox one which also has an integral variable ND in the mount.

For anyone with a lot of EF glass, thats an attractive option as it turns the L mount cameras into the mythical true hybrid with ND.

How good the AF is with the adapter is unknown to me though.

I'm going to get one for my fp to find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

78% sure that will be a disappointment!

What we want will be the "other" 6500$ Canon!

Is this 3.5K going to have any 10bit modes, for starters? If not, then what is the point in 2020?

Maybe, even the A7sIII will be a better video tool than a basic Canon video one.

Does anyone known what lenses can one adapt to these S cameras? What about EF? 

Why they do not have an m43 mode? A la crop mode? Imagine an S5 able to use natively an m43 lens. Is that even possible or I had one too many Negronis again?!

 

It's all totally depend on user situation, if you are one man band or only have 1 camera surely A7siii is more better, but if you are in production house with lots of existing gear then it is another situation.

 

If we can still get 10k job with 8bit camera then why not..? lol  

 

But we should be really discussing S5 not Canon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

It's all totally depend on user situation, if you are one man band or only have 1 camera surely A7siii is more better, but if you are in production house with lots of existing gear then it is another situation.

If we can still get 10k job with 8bit camera then why not..? lol  (did a Schneider Electrical for 11k last month.. on c200 with 8bit 4k)

You earned 11.000 from just one job?!

I used the C100mkII/C200 a lot in my life, still not having a 10bit codec in there is just unfair! I do some low budget 8bit stuff for social media mainly, but I do not do a lot of post, and certainly do not earn 11.000 per project!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

You earned 11.000 from just one job?!

I used the C100mkII/C200 a lot in my life, still not having a 10bit codec in there is just unfair! I do some low budget 8bit stuff for social media mainly, but I do not do a lot of post, and certainly do not earn 11.000 per project!

Well it's a company job, so have to pay wages to staff, pay rents for studio , pay electricity etc, different than work from home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I thought it was your salary. Good gig though!

lol I wish!  Usually jobs for bigger name company they trust production company with team members more than 1 man band.. all about perception i guess?

 

My personal side job just few hundreds a day on the weekends, though this year due to covid I dont have much vs last year

 

The company has lost $x0,000 of sales due to covid this year ugh. (lots of canned event shoot)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

lol I wish!  Usually jobs for bigger name company they trust production company with team members more than 1 man band.. all about perception i guess?

my personal side job just few hundreds a day on the weekends, though this year due to covid I dont have much vs last year

I stopped photography activity completely since July 2019, that will hurt my next years also.

I am rearranging my prioroties and business model I think (I am not sure I have full control right now anyway), that is why I am not 100% sold to any camera or system.

I have to do some extra homework on adapters, as this S5 could be a good small/light solution, but my priority will probably be, to use more my EF lenses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I stopped photography activity completely since July 2019, that will hurt my next years also.

I am rearranging my prioroties and business model I think (I am not sure I have full control right now anyway), that is why I am not 100% sold to any camera or system.

I have to do some extra homework on adapters, as this S5 could be a good small/light solution, but my priority will probably be, to use more my EF lenses.

I think its better to hold what you have now and buy gear next year, no point to spend more if your earning is taking a hit. 

 

ca4.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

(...)

that is why I am not 100% sold to any camera or system.

I have to do some extra homework on adapters, as this S5 could be a good small/light solution, but my priority will probably be, to use more my EF lenses.

In the same vibe on here because of P6K and R5 for now as seems EF lenses is the most consensual glass route these days for hybrid use... What are your favorite ones today?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...