Jump to content
Brother

Panasonic G9 Becomes GH5, almost.

Recommended Posts

On 11/23/2019 at 3:52 AM, ac6000cw said:

Put it another way, I've owned the G5 & G6 and I don't think the G80 1080p looks much better overall than those two, just a bit different (it looks sharper and punchier but I think you pay for that with some occasional moderate aliasing problems).

Wouldn't the lowlight in the G80 at 1080 be better than from a G5/G6?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wouldn't the lowlight in the G80 at 1080 be better than from a G5/G6?

Yes, it is (and the G9 is even better). Due I suspect to a mixture of more sophisticated noise filtering and some sensor performance improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Face detect AF at 30p is surprising usable on GH5S on my first inspection. However, 24p is definitely worst than 30p. I see no difference at 24p after update. So weird 6 frames more per second makes a difference I guess.

60p with face detect works really well and even better with 1-area for the classic “hold thing in front of camera”, especially if hold the object up first and then bring it towards the camera versus just flicking it into frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 7:41 AM, Video Hummus said:

Face detect AF at 30p is surprising usable on GH5S on my first inspection. However, 24p is definitely worst than 30p. I see no difference at 24p after update. So weird 6 frames more per second makes a difference I guess.

60p with face detect works really well and even better with 1-area for the classic “hold thing in front of camera”, especially if hold the object up first and then bring it towards the camera versus just flicking it into frame.

IIRC there was a difference if the shutter was 180 degrees or slightly less, at least on an earlier version of the firmware, so that might be worth a try?

I remember a video with someone setting the shutter to 180 and it not doing so well, then setting it to 179 and it was much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kye said:

IIRC there was a difference if the shutter was 180 degrees or slightly less, at least on an earlier version of the firmware, so that might be worth a try?

I remember a video with someone setting the shutter to 180 and it not doing so well, then setting it to 179 and it was much better.

I’ll try it. Definitely some kind of DfD frame sampling mumbo jumbo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Andrew looked at the G9 he mentioned pincushion distortion in the EVF which he thought was distracting. I understand you can change the relative size of the generous EVF view in order to have the information icons appear outside the image area, so maybe that would help reduce the distorted view of the picture area? The only other comment I read about the G9's EVF distortion was that it was slight, and the user soon got used to it. Anyone here own a G9 like to comment on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueIndigo said:

 The only other comment I read about the G9's EVF distortion was that it was slight, and the user soon got used to it. Anyone here own a G9 like to comment on this?

I agree. I don't even notice it any more. Not a real issue for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a G9 and noticed the distortion immediately but forgot about it within minutes. I suspect it’s something the vast majority won’t be troubled by while a small group will find it unpleasant and a deal breaker. If you’re playing the odds, assume it won’t bug you. If you have to know, rent or borrow one for a day. I suspect you’ll find which group you belong to within a few minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I found a way to add a 709like profile to Panasonic G9. Using the Wi-Fi connection and the LumixVideoFormats-2 application, the profile was activated, as well as cine D / cineV  on Panasonic Gx 85, 709like can be saved to a custom profile. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 5:25 PM, Andrey Lapardin said:

Hello! I found a way to add a 709like profile to Panasonic G9. Using the Wi-Fi connection and the LumixVideoFormats-2 application, the profile was activated, as well as cine D / cineV  on Panasonic Gx 85, 709like can be saved to a custom profile. Enjoy!

? What’s wet you find?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 5:25 PM, Andrey Lapardin said:

Hello! I found a way to add a 709like profile to Panasonic G9. Using the Wi-Fi connection and the LumixVideoFormats-2 application, the profile was activated, as well as cine D / cineV  on Panasonic Gx 85, 709like can be saved to a custom profile. Enjoy!

I figured out how to enable like709 on the G9. I don’t understand how to use it. The picture is very dark. Or it does not work as it should. Or I do not know how to use. Please help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 10:14 PM, Volks said:

? What’s wet you find?

I'm guessing he's referring to activating it using the Android app that I wrote a while ago that is linked in this post.

I don't have a G9 so can't offer any advice over how it responds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm guessing he's referring to activating it using the Android app that I wrote a while ago that is linked in this post.

I don't have a G9 so can't offer any advice over how it responds.

 

Activated via html. But even though the icon appeared, I don’t understand how it should work in this mode. During auto exposure, I have a very big oversight in like709 mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...