Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Mike Mgee said:

@deezid 

I understand you are waiting for the RAW output with the S1H, but I wouldn't hold your breath. 

Actually couldn't care less. Using Davinci Resolve for basically everything which doesn't have any ProRes Raw support.

Just being impatient and annoyed that we S1H users have to wait much longer probably for the important fixes the S1 will receive on Nov. 19th because on the S1H RAW not being ready. The fixes may not even arrive this year. The S1H wasn't listed on the list mentioning which Panasonic cameras will receive updates this year.

Panasonic tends to bundle features and fixes all-together in huge firmware updates all at once...

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

9 times out of 10 im using my RED for commercial or beauty - where accurate color matters. I haven’t been as successful matching the bmpcc in those catagories.

I noticed the same.
V709 (the S1H and S1 being a bit on the red side), IPP2 Rec709 and Alexa-X-2 are really close in how they look. Accurate color, great tonality, taking care of saturated clipping for the most part, extremely smooth hightlight roll-off - something at least the Ext. Film conversion for BMD Film V4 doesn't really deliver.

Reason why I made the Lut (55M PXK) in the first place, to have a starting point with similar characteristics. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Mike Mgee said:

@deezid

I understand you are waiting for the RAW output with the S1H, but I wouldn't hold your breath. 

Don't put Nikon's shortcomings on Panasonic. Remember, Panasonic does have ProRes RAW support on the EVA-1, so they aren't new to the game.

Nikon got over their skis and realized they didn't have enough processing power (or FPGA LUTs) to pull it off and had to save face because they said they would do it by swapping out the processing board.

Remember, Atomos was the one that launched ProRes RAW with Apple, so the only suspect on over promising is Nikon.

Lengthy review on newshooter - its crazy how much better the S1H looks than the A7 and Nikon camera in the talking head comparison video. Also, not sure I agree with him on the "Sterile" look, pocket 6k seems just as sterile if not more to me. Though, to his credit I have seen lots of footage with the S1H that can look sterile in the wrong hands. 

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/11/11/panasonic-lumix-s1h-review/?fbclid=IwAR2RI5AXLl9Hlbqfir20uerkbnS8IdiI9oVd7ctgsP5WGJDJ-O3zMgJqgN0

1 hour ago, crevice said:

Lengthy review on newshooter - its crazy how much better the S1H looks than the A7 and Nikon camera in the talking head comparison video. Also, not sure I agree with him on the "Sterile" look, pocket 6k seems just as sterile if not more to me. Though, to his credit I have seen lots of footage with the S1H that can look sterile in the wrong hands. 

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/11/11/panasonic-lumix-s1h-review/?fbclid=IwAR2RI5AXLl9Hlbqfir20uerkbnS8IdiI9oVd7ctgsP5WGJDJ-O3zMgJqgN0

Phew just read it there good write up and yup am gearing up my S1H  for upcoming update(raw) fingers ? we get it first thing 2020

1 hour ago, crevice said:

Would be interesting to see the talking head comparisons with sharpening all the way down on all the cameras. Standard PP doesn't really show what any of the cameras are capable of. 

Either way there is no doubt about it the S1H is a fantastic camera, at least once they update the firmware like on the S1. 

The S1 will probably be my next camera purchase. 

23 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Here's a little video that I put together for those green chair shots.

Really impressed by the colour from this camera. To me it's at least on a par with Canon and Blackmagic.

Has anyone had a decent amount of experience with the S1 and S1H? The image looks to be quite similar but the S1 is so much cheaper!

On 11/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, Lux Shots said:

Remember, Panasonic does have ProRes RAW support on the EVA-1, so they aren't new to the game.

Don’t forget they also support BRAW on the EVA-1 with the new blackmagic recorders as well.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, AaronChicago said:

Here's a little video that I put together for those green chair shots.

Looks amazing.

Slanted lens did a comparison to the pocket 6k, see below. My take away is (my personal opinion, doesn't have to be yours) that the S1H colors look better and skin tones look better. Both cameras are similar and this comparison proves that anybody who claims the pocket 6k "destroys" the S1H just because of its popularity and codec are drinking the kool aid. The fact that the S1H can go toe to toe against a raw format, while also having IBIS, better battery, swivel screen AND almost more importantly for hybrid shooters also be a legit stills camera is a huge selling point. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rghbaHoVRsk

Yep, pretty much.
The color science is far superior, but the codec struggles with shadow recovery.

Cannot wait till ProRes RAW arrives. Better shadow recovery in case it's 12 bit and no more temporal noise reduction (smoothing, smearing, trailing, ghosting and so called after images).
Still don't know if BMD is ever going to implement it into Davinci Resolve though.

7 minutes ago, deezid said:

Yep, pretty much.
The color science is far superior, but the codec struggles with shadow recovery.

Cannot wait till ProRes RAW arrives. Better shadow recovery in case it's 12 bit and no more temporal noise reduction (smoothing, smearing, trailing, ghosting and so called after images).
Still don't know if BMD is ever going to implement it into Davinci Resolve though.

I know man. I get excited about prores raw, then I come back to reality and realize it wont work in resolve. I only work in resolve these days and use a Blackmagic mini panel for grading, so I have 0 interest in using any other NLE. 

1 minute ago, crevice said:

I know man. I get excited about prores raw, then I come back to reality and realize it wont work in resolve. I only work in resolve these days and use a Blackmagic mini panel for grading, so I have 0 interest in using any other NLE. 

heard about Edit Ready being able to convert it to regular ProRes on Windows. So I may be able to do some exposure and wb adjustments and export to 10 bit ProRes 422.

21 minutes ago, crevice said:

So get used to P6K... Its user interface has no parallel with anything else at all : ) I am user of both systems, apples to oranges : -)

Blackmagic's tool gives you back the pleasure to shoot on film again throughout the digital age.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

So get used to P6K... Its user interface has no parallel with anything else at all : ) I am user of both systems, apples to oranges : -)

Blackmagic's tool gives you back the pleasure to shoot on film again throughout the digital age.

I got rid of my pocket 6k. The battery lasted 15 minutes and I couldn’t hand hold it without micro jitters. I prefer my bmcc 2.5k to the 6k anyways, more organic and filmic look to it. And though its a pain in the ass to use as well, I love the image. For modern cameras and everyday shooting I prefer the S1H even if its not RAW. If I wanted to rig a camera up like the pocket 6k, I would just buy an URSA mini pro, you can find them used in the $3k range and i prefer the image. I probably will get an URSA mini pro at some point next year, depends on what the Komodo and Sony FX6 are all about. 

To each its own. I feel exactly that about all those complicated menus. A pain in the ass. That simply cuts off all my pleasure to shoot with.

Blackmagic has brought me the feeling of a real film camera back. I love their approach to put the shooter in the focus of their camera design, not just another user in the digital age or ENG field. They have made digital cinema cameras instead. I come back from 35mm and 16mm realm. This really counts to me : ) IQ wise I practically am able to reproduce anything I want. Secondary today IMO : -)

45 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

To each its own. I feel exactly that about all those complicated menus. A pain in the ass. That simply cuts off all my pleasure to shoot with.

Blackmagic has brought me the feeling of a real film camera back. I love their approach to put the shooter in the focus of their camera design, not just another user in the digital age or ENG field. They have made digital cinema cameras instead. I come back from 35mm and 16mm realm. This really counts to me : ) IQ wise I practically am able to reproduce anything I want. Secondary today IMO : -)

Yeah man, whatever tools inspires you to create - that’s all that matters. All these cameras at this point are great, it’s up to what’s best for the user and their needs. Pocket 6k is a great camera, just not for me.