Which colour science do you like the most?

Andrew Reid

Which colour science do you like the most?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which colour science do you like the most?

• Canon
    • Sony

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Chill! It's a tongue in cheek poll.

Anyway have a look at the lighting yourself. The RAW file is attached below.

All I did was increase saturation and contrast equally on both the 1D C shot and A7S II... And not by much.

Same day, same location, same natural light at same angle... Canon whipped the Sony's ass. See the JPEG from the 1D C attached as well. It was taken within seconds of the other one and same light.

1DC_8881.JPG

1DC_8016.JPG

As you can see the yellow cast in the Sony shot, just isn't present in the Canon shot.

You can't blame the fucking sun!!

DSC03163.JPG

CANON 1D C RAW FILE:

1DC_8016.CR2

SONY RAW FILE:

DSC03163.ARW

I am sure someone will show me it corrected.

Time how long it took you in the HSL panel and more.

Then multiply that by the 700 shots of my shoot. If you want to do it like a pro, you have to adjust each different shot differently!

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Chill! It's a tongue in cheek poll.

Anyway have a look at the lighting yourself. The RAW file is attached below.

All I did was increase saturation and contrast equally on both the 1D C shot and A7S II... And not by much.

Same day, same location, same natural light at same angle... Canon whipped the Sony's ass. See the JPEG from the 1D C attached as well. It was taken within seconds of the other one and same light.

1DC_8881.JPG

DSC03163.ARW 24 MB · 0 downloads

Are you kidding me?

The Canon image has her face in shadow and uses one source of indirect lighting from the left, sun seems to be on the right illuminating her hair. It's also at an angle that is flattering to her face. 

The Sony image has sun sources directly  in front of her face, with a green bounce coming off the grass from in front of her.  It's shot straight on.

If anyone on this site besides you put up that original post they would have gotten raked over hot coals for it. Probably by you.

• Administrators

I shot it and I know the light isn't the issue.

I can even find two more similar shots, one Sony and one Canon, and you'll see EXACTLY the same skin issues with the Sony.

Do you remember the Pro Colour video as well?

Yellow cast in every lighting condition not just daylight.

Screenshot-2019-07-17-at-21.35.27.jpg

Appalling. Looks like The Simpsons.

It took Pro Color to fix it and give it back any sense of reality, with the golden warm glow of the incandescent lights and real skin hues.

Screenshot-2019-07-17-at-21.35.42.jpg

I dislike Canon's apathy to offer even the basic video tools on a reasonably priced hybrid for 2019 - so I can not logically invest on any of their bodies, but from a6xxx to FS7mkII the color science is pathetic. 

Even now, that I was in the market for a new camera, and probably system, decided to keep my NX for another year and buy the P4K as a more specialized video toy, with extra m43 and EF lenses. All in all, close to an 8000€ investment. I could easily choose an A7iii, but it ain't yet right and I can't wait them out forever.

I see now that the A7Riv has, again, little ergonomical details improved, I mean, come on, Samsung did it in their FIRST TRY, and Sony has to reach version 8 or 9 to make it right, and we will see until then..

I vote everyone else, except Sony!

23 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Congrats for the model ; -)

Pretty hard to shoot a Redhead though. Been there done that. My first wife was Irish as Patty's pig. I have a weak spot for them.

I am not going to vote. Loaded question lol. I like both to be honest, but Really liking the new Panny S1 CS. Great compromise. It might be the best one out there overall, at least to me .

I really like I said hate the new Canon CS. I would Never consider buying the C100 mk II even though it is a Ton better camera overall, just because of the new CS. It does not look Anything like the CS I grew up with using Canon products. Sure to the younger people on here the newer stuff is what You grew up with. To each their own.

• Super Members

On some Canons you can choose between the old and the new color in the menu for C-log.

With Raw stills they have been very consistent. Shooting for example the 5D classic side by side with the 6Dmkii it's close enough that most wouldn't be able to tell them apart. 

BTW, you don't even have to be +70 to have been shooting ancient Canons professionally. Could be interesting to have an age poll because it seems to me that many here are old enough to remember the time before the DSLR revolution.

I voted Fujifilm ?

Between the two, with minimal processing, I appreciate Canon more. Sony is capable, if you use the newer cameras and really work on it, but you can honestly even shoot JPEG on a Canon and get lovely colors ready to print. The same goes for video, though I'd give overall IQ to Sony in that department. Color wise though it's just hard for Sony to compare when you see them side by side. 

I owned the A7r and A7r2... I don't miss either one. Wouldn't trade any of my Canons for the A7R4. I honestly am not tempted by it in the least. 

However, it's a given that I'll be preordering the 1DX Mk3 and the RF Pro body. I know right off that bat they'll leave something out.... they always do. But there will be enough to make it a no brainer.?

For me the big question is will the Sigma have a place in my collection, or for that matter the Panasonic S1H? Both of those cameras are interesting to me. Perhaps the Sigma by a small margin?

26 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I voted Fujifilm ?

Between the two, with minimal processing, I appreciate Canon more. Sony is capable, if you use the newer cameras and really work on it, but you can honestly even shoot JPEG on a Canon and get lovely colors ready to print. The same goes for video, though I'd give overall IQ to Sony in that department. Color wise though it's just hard for Sony to compare when you see them side by side. 

Don't let Jon see this thread or then, put the helmet Andrew, the bashing won't easily end light! LOL : -)

I will admit all these new cameras in HDR Really look good. Rec-709 is Really a hindrance to what all the new stuff is capable of. Down the road it will all even out. It will be more convince items more than CS. I guess we could sort of blame, or thank Sony for most of the cameras now having a Sony Sensor in them. Pretty crazy how it has happened.

23 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Don't let Jon see this thread or then, put the helmet Andrew, the bashing won't easily end light! LOL : -)

Didn't Jon leave?! 

Fujifilm really does have my favorite color science, even though I don't shoot with them! 

Sony... Not so much. 

What I wanna know is, what caused this recent uptick of people praising Sony's color? I've seen people gushing over the video color science lately and I just don't get it. Did they get a memo from Sony?! ?

Out of Canon or Sony I picked the 10-bit internal recording of Panasonic.

But the Canon colours are just lovely and every time I see something like this I remind myself to go and try to reverse-engineer their colour science!  

I miss him, though : ) I sincerely think he should apologize with Andrew and some of people here and return back. You're fully on the spot no matter what. This 'my dick' is better than yours is pure nonsense and childish to say the least : ) A family is a family. Andrew has given us this community so everyone should respect this : ) Let's discuss and make points on cameras not taking the brands as our own when they actually don't pay anyone here for that, we can only praise our luck : -)