Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

23 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Nice. And really stable - is the IBIS really that good? 

As long as you don’t expect it to be a replacement for a gimbal, it’s superb.

The IBIS on my S5 is good. I like to shoot subjects pretty statically ie, rarely track, pan, zoom or anything but allow my subject to provide any and all movement.

On the S1H, it’s fantastic.

If I use an OIS lens, it’s not far off a tripod and unless you cock it up, you just don’t notice any movement. In fact you don’t even without an OIS lens.

I was previously an XT3 and freestanding monopod user.

I am now handheld (other than long static stuff that needs a tripod obviously) and I am so much faster and have so much more flexibility to just shoot and not faff trying to get the height and the angle and the level or even to get the thing standing up by itself on an uneven surface.

Gamechanger is an overused term. For me, in this instance, it isn’t. It is 100% a gamechanger.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:59 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Nice. And really stable - is the IBIS really that good? 

I plan to use it mainly with my Super Taks and with a couple of EF zooms.

Waiting for the postman! 

Thanks. IBIS is good. GH5 level imho. I stabilized in Resolve which was helpful since I didnt bother to dial the right focal length in. I filmed with a 25-50 zoom, the beautiful Tokina, filmed at either 25 or 50mm, having 35mm dialed in I think.

Post stabi in Resolve works pretty well when shot with a high shutter and when filmed sufficient enough.

Now you will test yourself and enjoy some amazing treats this cam has to offer. Especially absence of noise reduction and mush at higher Isos.