I voted for Raw recording on the R

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

I spoke to an Atomos rep years ago when the Shogun was new. He said that they where ready to record Raw from basically any stills camera already back then. They where just waiting for any of the camera makers to say go ahead. Fast forward several years and Nikon said "go". It would make sense for more to jump on the same wagon. 

If it will happen with Canon or not is another question.
And if so, will it be on the R? Who knows, might even be a typo for all we know.

Im picking up my second R today. Raw recording or not, it is my weapon of choice for pro video work. If it gets it, yey. If not, oh well.
It would not be something I need, just a nice.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Eos R RAW would be awesome! But hopefully with some compression like blackmagic raw. I love braw from ump and pocket 4K. A downer for me is a external recorder though for any camera. It is clunky + I need to charge more batteries. Magic lantern is working on the 5D iv and eos R as well. So RAW will come to it at one point or another. 

49 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

There is no crop today so I would imagine.

(I don't shoot 4K unless its with a global shutter.)

Looks like they removed the tweet :)

Either it was a mirage, or someone jumped the gun.
So a "Oh well" or a "Wow". 

huh, never shot eos R so I am not sure, but I saw some posts about the video being its all 1.7/1.8 crop? Maybe only in 4K. But still when its raw it will be max resolution so still at 4K. 

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I spoke to an Atomos rep years ago when the Shogun was new. He said that they where ready to record Raw from basically any stills camera already back then. They where just waiting for any of the camera makers to say go ahead. Fast forward several years and Nikon said "go". It would make sense for more to jump on the same wagon. 

The ORIGINAL Shogun? Yikes, that was a long time ago!

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I guess it could be raw lite. The dream is for the patent to Red Code to run out. It is by far my favorite codec and workflow of all times.

When does the patent expire?

56 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Looks like they removed the tweet :)

What did the tweet say?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The ORIGINAL Shogun? Yikes, that was a long time ago!

When does the patent expire?

What did the tweet say?

Yes, according to him the original was capable to record raw and convert to prores and they said that if a camera company wanted they could even give it raw with firmware (I guess this is what ended up being the Z6 raw).

No idea. The patent for the EF mount expired "coincidently" around the same time as the BMCC was announced. So maybe we could count backwards to when it was first released and then take it from there as some sort of reference :)

The tweet was from Canon USA Pro and it contained a poll that basically said, "What do you want to learn about at NAB, Raw lite in the C200 or EOS-R Raw Recording?"

14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The tweet was from Canon USA Pro and it contained a poll that basically said, "What do you want to learn about at NAB, Raw lite in the C200 or EOS-R Raw Recording?"

EOS-R Raw Recording please! Obviously, this could be an overzealous person in marketing getting their signals crossed or it could be an overzealous person in marketing accidentally leaking an upcoming firmware update...

I hope it’s the latter. And if you break down the two options they offered in the tweet... C200 Rawlite has been around for 2 years, what more is there to learn? EOS-R Raw sounds like news and something worthy of NAB.

If this is true, man I hope it’s in camera. Nikon already plan on having a raw export, so would Canon just want to match Nikon or exceed them?

If they can pull off 24p Raw in camera with DPAF... sign me up please. Hell, I would be happy with 1080p Raw, up to 60p with DPAF and the Variable Nd adapter.

• Super Members

It would be cool for sure. 

Speaking of the R. Picked up my second R a few hours ago together with the 35mm f1.8 IS Macro.
That lens has officially blown my mind. It is insanely detailed without being to sharp. IS works quietly. AF is fast.
Before preordering my personal R the 35mm itself was one of the main reasons. Now I know that my thought process was justified :)

My friend will be getting 2 R’s after he tried one for a wedding shoot to go with c200, I guess that make more sense than the a6500 he got as bcam atm.

Yeah the Canon 35mm IS with 0.5 macro is the best everyday lens anyone has come up with so far! That macro is really useful for slice of life stuff, the closest thing would be Batis 40 f2 cf or Tamron 35 1.8 VC but their magnification is around 0.3x and batis is like 3x the price.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

huh, never shot eos R so I am not sure, but I saw some posts about the video being its all 1.7/1.8 crop? Maybe only in 4K. But still when its raw it will be max resolution so still at 4K. 

RAW still needs to be debeyered, so if it was shot at 2160 lines of resolution it would debeyer into about 1400 lines of actual resolution (less if the lens being used does not resolve fully).

Unless you are shooting on a greyscale camera which has had it's Beyer filter removed. The only way to get full resolution without oversampling is to remove the Beyer filter or shoot objects that have no color (such as black and white/greyscale test patterns).

I have a strong feeling the S1 will have ProRes RAW available over HDMI out via a paid firmware update AND I'm hoping we see "Atomos RAW" at NAB as well so we're not restricted to editing in FCPX. Seems like compressed RAW, internal and external, is going to be one of the key focuses at NAB this year.