Back on the ball - a word about the lack of updates at EOSHD recently

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m looking forward to the EM1X thoughts. It’s hard to justify that camera but it’s pretty intriguing with some of the hands on impressions I’ve watched that don’t just crack jokes about the sensor size and the size of the camera. The Panasonic S series is dead in the water because people can’t get past the autofocus. Even though they have one of the best stilla autofocus.

Hello EOSHD,

Thank you for your commitment to this platform and site. I am looking forward to new content every day and your one of the best resources available online. I totally understand that "real life" happens and you need to address your immediate needs prior to this, so no worries on delayed content from me. I would love to see you on YouTube also to provide visual demonstrations of the cameras, lenses, and results of your findings when you can. You can certainly embed them here for traffic.

I would love to see your thoughts and insight for the following:

• Nikon Z6
  • Fujifilm X-T3
  • Fujifilm X-H1
  • Canon EOS R
  • Sony A73

Thanks!

Dave

Interested to see your report on using the XT3 with the Fringer Pro for video.

I have my XT3 set up as a pure video machine with the Fringer and Sigma 18-35 mostly using eye AF and would class it as ‘decent’ but hoping the imminent firmware upgrade will take it to at least ‘good’.

For stills, prefer the form factor of the XH1 with longer lenses and X100 for wider and more candid photography.

ahahaaaaaa this is so great!! man this cheered me up

i have a request ☺️

you can’t have enough visual aides for me~! so if you’re ever like “Should I bother to upload this video/still?” I alllllways wanna see it. any clips/etc that can illustrate your points are highly appreciated...!

and tbh I can’t read...! ?

Good to hear and a great to read that you have the EM1X on the map. 

Ive handled this gem a few times during Events and it’s the perfect m4/3 body. Just love it, but not ordered one yet. The only real downsides are no status display and no 4k60( but his could be on option via firmware as the power is there based on rumors). Will definitely swap the GH5 for that one !!!

What I’m really waiting on is more details on the lens roadmap.. want to what’s behind those new undisclosed entries. The 150-400 seems to be a winner on all terms..

B

2 hours ago, ArashM said:

I'm so curious and confused by the EM1x, would love to get your thoughts on it.

Thank you

Anything particular??

to re-quote my first impressions:

EM1x Hamburg Event . Just been there.

150-400 F4.5

This lens is just a winner. The size comparison at dpreview is misleading. It is bigger then the 300mm but far less then you think. Definitely made for hand hold shooting. Mine!!!

EM1X

Now there is lot to talk about. If been a long time Olympus User since the E1, but switched to GH5 for Video and other improvements over the EM1

Now body Design. Everyone who had an E3 / E5 will smile. It’s smaller but you will recognise. Otherwise it’s spot on. I personal love the size, but I use powergrips. So, I really love the size and it’s way smaller in use compared to a D5 etc. Olympus done a great job here!

EVF

Now this one will be chocking . Compared with the GH5. The difference in resolution is noticeable. But the EM1x is faster, cleaner , more accurate. I would say for sports and action is the superior choice, otherwise I may give the EM1X a notch but not more.

Handheld Highres

This is awesome and definitely something a lot will use. It takes maybe a two three seconds to calculate. Very very usable.

LiveND

Seems great but a bummer that’s not for Video..

Else? Well you can charge from a powerbank.

AF

Well you couldn’t test CAF, but the way it was explained with the CAF tracking it looked like a big improvement. Tested the 300mm and it was a very very fast in AF front to back. It felt like a good jump in the right direction.

So for me, especially with the 150-400 this seems a no brainier price permitting...

For video folks it’s not the Camera. It just lacks compared to the GH5. It’s an outdoor action wildlife camera and for that I think it’s spot on. 

Yes there are areas for improvement but it does what it’s made for and once the price is about 2-2.5k it’s fairly reasonable. 

B

• Administrators

Interesting take on the E-M1X. I had forgot about the LiveND altogether but for stills I imagine it would be great... Having that real-time moving slow shutter shot to accurately shoot at slow shutter speeds handheld with the stabiliser is going to be unique and very creative indeed.

I like the chunky chassis, original Four Thirds Olympus E-1 was a very comfortable DSLR!

And don't forget Olympus OM-LOG and Cinema 4K!

46 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The thread for it is here.

And I can confirm it works great :)

11 hours ago, kaylee said:

ahahaaaaaa this is so great!! man this cheered me up

i have a request ☺️

you can’t have enough visual aides for me~! so if you’re ever like “Should I bother to upload this video/still?” I alllllways wanna see it. any clips/etc that can illustrate your points are highly appreciated...!

and tbh I can’t read...! ?

I would love to upload more videos, unfortunately where I am living at the moment there's not much to shoot - a few sheep, a few hills and some drunk locals. I am in transition between the Berlin artist life with plenty to shoot and plenty of content, to seeking it all out from scratch in the UK again... Will take me a while to get back into my stride, but when I travel - say to Italy or Spain or back to Berlin I always bring 5 or 6 current exciting models with me and shoot there. I have a lot from my last trip to Berlin that I've not uploaded yet. I better get my arse in gear and get round to it.

44 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Interesting take on the E-M1X. I had forgot about the LiveND altogether but for stills I imagine it would be great... Having that real-time moving slow shutter shot to accurately shoot at slow shutter speeds handheld with the stabiliser is going to be unique and very creative indeed.

I like the chunky chassis, original Four Thirds Olympus E-1 was a very comfortable DSLR!

And don't forget Olympus OM-LOG and Cinema 4K!

Well, the E1 is the best DSLR body ever designed. Still have mine. The one next is the SL and very shortly thereafter the EM1X.

live ND is great but only makes sense at the highest setting.

the handheld high resolution is great, scenery permitting. Definitely a great bonus, especially considering the improvement in ISO performance. You wouldn’t believe that’s from m4/3.

video wise I like what I’ve seen. The 60fps is a bummer because for wildlife that would habe been great, e.g. slow down a starting eagle.

As I wrote I will get one... only depends on what’s on the upcoming lens roadmap. 12-100 is awesome but F4... 12-40 is great but no is and I had one before I went Gh5 + 12-60 ... so I’m still looking. The long stuff is easy as I have the 300mm ;)

B