Best gimbal for Pocket 4K?

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't really understand what your asking me to comment on. I don't use the included lens support because it doesn't reach my lenses, and I don't want to stuff the gap with tissue haha.

Other than that, he balanced it differently to me. I always adjust forward/back first, then side to side. He seemed to be trying to do both at the  same time, or swapping between them. I think his results are shakier than mine, but I couldn't say why. Maybe his arms are too loose? Maybe not loose enough? It seems to wobble as he steps, but it looks like he's trying to step carefully and softly.

I'm uploading more of what I shot the other day, of my wife in the woods. It's nothing overly special, but there's a mix of stationary and walking shots. It also has me walking forwards and me walking backwards, and even sideways. But I've got to leave in a minute, so hopefully I can add it to this post when it's up. If you'd like to know something more specific let me know.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

I don't really understand what your asking me to comment on. I don't use the included lens support because it doesn't reach my lenses, and I don't want to stuff the gap with tissue haha.

Other than that, he balanced it differently to me. I always adjust forward/back first, then side to side. He seemed to be trying to do both at the  same time, or swapping between them. I think his results are shakier than mine, but I couldn't say why. Maybe his arms are too loose? Maybe not loose enough? It seems to wobble as he steps, but it looks like he's trying to step carefully and softly.

I'm uploading more of what I shot the other day, of my wife in the woods. It's nothing overly special, but there's a mix of stationary and walking shots. It also has me walking forwards and me walking backwards, and even sideways. But I've got to leave in a minute, so hopefully I can add it to this post when it's up. If you'd like to know something more specific let me know.

Thanks : ) Everything, actually. If you've found any issues so far. Your impression the deeper you go on your experience with the gimbal.

People say this is not designed to balance this camera. Any solid workaround to overcome it?

I guess these are your first shots along this setup but... Do you find your results as smooth as any other ones from other gimbals? No wobble from your outcome?

Well, it doesn't balance out the box, you need to add weights, but that's not a huge issue. I made a weight by taping things to the arm until it balanced, weight it all and then went to the hardware store and bought the smallest, thing I could that weighed around the same. Now I just use velcro to put it on quickly and easily. Works like a charm and it's actually easier to fine tune the balance as you can move it up and down the arm. For me, this is a great solution and I don't mind at all. Others might find it a turn off. 

Once it's balanced, it's great fun to use, and so far I've always been happy with the results. The rest is all personal preferences. For example, the Sigma 18-35 1.4 is a long and heavy lens. To centre the weight of the camera, you have to move it so far back on the mounting plate that it ends up on the back motor. So you can't use this set up despite it being within the weight limits. That's a shame. But the fact the gimbal is small enough for that to happen is a big reason for many people to buy it. It fits in my bag without a problem. So if you want to use long heavy lenses, you're going to be disappointed. If you're using short or light though, it's fantastic.

My favourite so far to use is the nifty fifty, but due to its field of view, it's more susceptible to showing shakes than a 10mm lens would. I'm not a fan of those ultra wide shots, and the shakes I'm getting don't seem to be too distracting. Perhaps the Sigma 30mm is a happy medium, but it's also makes the light gimbal and the light camera heavy on the arms. Again, this all depends on what you want out of the gimbal. 

As for wobble. I'll let you judge that for yourself. For me, it's more than acceptable, especially if you're filming slowmo or adding a touch of stabilisation in post. This clip was shot at 48fps in DCI ProRes LT with the 50mm at f4. The first half is played at 24fps and then after is the same edit played back in real time (real time at 2:09). 

I'm filming an event this weekend solely with the P4k, and plan on using the gimbal for close to all of my Broll shots. Due to the how it'll be distributed, I will be shooting slowmotion, but will try to chop and change between 30 and 50mm to get a nice, fair comparison of the two. If I can I'll upload some of the footage, but either way I'll report back on how it was to work with for an extended period.

Seems Crane 3 LAB brings video monitoring, not available with the smaller Weebill LAB:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1571220

http://www.zhiyunstore.com/en/zhiyun-crane-3-lab/

Exactly my feelings for now (even though I feel myself tempted to buy the Crane 3 LAB pending on waiting for weight information) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/GH5/comments/9xfm4t/zhiyun_weebil_lab/

I just tried out Canon 24-105 f4 on the Weebill and to my surprise, it balances (when adding extra weights onto the roll arm) and there's no restricted movement. and the gimbal holds up very well. The reason I mention it is because the similarly sized, but heavier Sigma 18-35 cannot balance as the camera knocks on the back motor, which restricts movement far too much. I assume that if the 24-105 balances, so can the 24-70.

It's such a shame added weights are essential for this gimbal/camera setup, and depending on your lens you need more or less weight. For me and my uses, that's not really an issue, but it will certainly put a lot of people off buying it. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

I just tried out Canon 24-105 f4 on the Weebill and to my surprise, it balances (when adding extra weights onto the roll arm) and there's no restricted movement. and the gimbal holds up very well. The reason I mention it is because the similarly sized, but heavier Sigma 18-35 cannot balance as the camera knocks on the back motor, which restricts movement far too much. I assume that if the 24-105 balances, so can the 24-70.

It's such a shame added weights are essential for this gimbal/camera setup, and depending on your lens you need more or less weight. For me and my uses, that's not really an issue, but it will certainly put a lot of people off buying it. 

Just pondering whether if you attached something like this to the 1/4-20 mount on the top of the camera you could then have an adjustable way to mount some additional weight to the camera itself to try and balance it for the additional weight of the 18-35mm (Its about 140g difference looking at the specs of the lenses) without having to move it back too far ?

s-l225.jpg.3b69f4b536159d9b67516ff730786f66.jpg

The problem with mounting things on the top, is it limits going into undersling mode, or stops the camera from looking/tilting up. So low angles would be harder to achieve.

The clearance at best of time is barely 1cm. 

As with all things, it’s a viable option depending on how, what and where you’re shooting. 

On November 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Just pondering whether if you attached something like this to the 1/4-20 mount on the top of the camera you could then have an adjustable way to mount some additional weight to the camera itself to try and balance it for the additional weight of the 18-35mm (Its about 140g difference looking at the specs of the lenses) without having to move it back too far ?

s-l225.jpg.3b69f4b536159d9b67516ff730786f66.jpg

• 1 month later...

Weebill is a great small gimbal, but it suffers from the same issue most gimbals do - a too small cage.

Couldn't someone finally come out with a light (maybe carbon fiber) version that has a larger cage. I was really close to buying weebill as I like the removable handle with quick release, and the fact it is so compact and adding 1 inch in each direction of the cage wouldn't make it much bigger. Ah....

3 minutes ago, mirekti said:

...too heavy. :)

lighter than the ronin s but it seems that light means less strong motors and for the bmpcc4k you need stronger motors than the weebil has.

that's too bad as i wish it was a light gimball with strong motors somewhere. in the future for sure

4 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

lighter than the ronin s but it seems that light means less strong motors and for the bmpcc4k you need stronger motors than the weebil has.

that's too bad as i wish it was a light gimball with strong motors somewhere. in the future for sure

Crane 2 is 500g lighter than Moza Air 2 and can handle it easily.
Yes, it seems we need to wait for a next generation of gimbals. Weebill lab was so close to be a perfect gimbal.

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The Crane 2 weighs 3.4 pounds and the Ronin S weighs 4.1 pounds. Is a little more than half a pound going to kill you for the ability to use it weight wise easily?

Hm... B&H shows 600g difference (Crane 2 is 2.76 pounds) which makes the weight difference 1.34 pounds. Add an external monitor and 600g soon starts to make a big difference.