Jump to content
Emanuel

Best gimbal for Pocket 4K?

Recommended Posts

I like the Zhiyun weebill lab for it's small size, shape and weight. It would have been my perfect gimbal for the P4K if it balanced without counter weights and if the video transmission function worked with the P4K (This camera will benefit quite a lot from that functionality without it's tilted screen). But clearly at it's currently state it's not a match for the P4K. Zhiyun have to redesign or make a version for that camera. At this point it's either the more bigger Zhiyun crane 3 lab, Ronin S or Moza air 2. Moza air 2 is the cheapest of all 3 and so far works with the P4K. I hope Zhiyun can make a version of the weebill lab for P4k soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm fairly sure the video transmission will work on the P4K, my understanding is it's essentially taking the HDMI feed into an encoder and sending the video signal via wifi from there, so you could even plug a Playstation in and view that. EDIT: THIS IS FALSE.

Also, I think while in that video I shared earlier the guy has added a counter weight, you could also mount the camera upside-down, and that would but the weight more in the centre of the gimbal. The lens is by far the heaviest part of my setup, and flipping the camera will definitely bring it closer to the pivot points.

I've decided to pay off my preorder and I should receive the Weebill next week. I'll then do some tests and see how it all works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm fairly sure the video transmission will work on the P4K, my understanding is it's essentially taking the HDMI feed into an encoder and sending the video signal via wifi from there, so you could even plug a Playstation in and view that. 

My reading of it is that their app is a roll your own version of the Sony and Panasonic apps that can stream over wifi, hence why its only models from those two that are supported as its fairly easy to invoke and tap into their streams.

On the upside, it also means if it works with Panasonic then it also works with Leica ;)

They could do the same for Nikon and Canon and Fuji (although your record quality would then drop to 720p as is the way with Fuji when you want to operate them over wifi).

Pocket 4K obviously lacks the wifi capability so would need a different solution. 

The external control of the Pocket 4K is also over Bluetooth LE so would again need a different solution.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah @BTM_Pix you're right. The gimbal has a wifi transmitter in it, but takes the data out of the camera via USB - and that's why it's camera dependant.

I can't find an English manual, but it's not the HDMI box I had in my mind. Not sure where that came from. Sorry for misinformation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Not sure where that came from. 

In all fairness, they do need to be far more specific about that functionality.

Even in the Newsshooter review they talk about other cameras being supported in the future but they should be explicit about the situation regarding the Pocket 4K specifically but other cameras in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Ah, the Crane 3 LAB has the HDMI wireless box thing. At least I wasn’t wildly confused haha. 

Good to know for this interested though.

Maybe they could offer the transmission box as an add on for the Weebill.

They'd certainly get a few takers considering how expensive standalone ones are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lenscamera said:

I like the Zhiyun weebill lab for it's small size, shape and weight. It would have been my perfect gimbal for the P4K if it balanced without counter weights and if the video transmission function worked with the P4K (This camera will benefit quite a lot from that functionality without it's tilted screen). But clearly at it's currently state it's not a match for the P4K. Zhiyun have to redesign or make a version for that camera. At this point it's either the more bigger Zhiyun crane 3 lab, Ronin S or Moza air 2. Moza air 2 is the cheapest of all 3 and so far works with the P4K. I hope Zhiyun can make a version of the weebill lab for P4k soon! 

Well put. Although, I'd also like to know why you all are ignoring the Moza Air (I mean the original version, the version 1, not the 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Well put. Although, I'd also like to know why you all are ignoring the Moza Air (I mean the original version, the version 1, not the 2)

How are you suppose to use the rear touch screen using the older style Gimbals with the motor in the way? To me it them pretty outdated in this day and age. I know there is the lawsuit thing but they are not going to win that. Seems to me the PK4 depends on screen input more than most other cameras do. Not that that is a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Well put. Although, I'd also like to know why you all are ignoring the Moza Air (I mean the original version, the version 1, not the 2)

That too or also the Zhiyun crane 2 but I have used a gimbal with the slanted design a couple of times and I prefer those. I am leaning heavily towards the Moza air 2 because it's a little lighter and cheaper for more payload and features than the Ronin S. I don't see zhiyun doing anything anytime soon to address the P4k balancing issues on the Weebill Lab plus even if they do, I don't see it being in the market anytime soon. I am sure they will say get their Crane 3 which for me looks too big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I got some older sigma EF lenses like 17-50 2.8, 24 2.8 and 14 2.8

Would the pocket 4K work with them on this cheap gimbal?

https://store.feiyu-tech.com/products/feiyutech-a1000-for-dslr-mirrorless-camera-1-kilogram-payload-damping-sliding-arm-45-degree-elevation

And could I control focus and f stop remotely with this aputure dec adapter?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Wireless-Focusing-Adapter-Cameras/dp/B00X14F5CA

Or with the more expensive Dec vari ND control even ND remotely?

https://www.aputure.com/products/dec-vari-nd-1

Has anyone tried this combo?

If I have regular vari ND can I touch it to adjust it while the camera is still on the running gimbal? I don't need to be adjusting all the time. Just before the take.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lenscamera said:

That too or also the Zhiyun crane 2 but I have used a gimbal with the slanted design a couple of times and I prefer those. I am leaning heavily towards the Moza air 2 because it's a little lighter and cheaper for more payload and features than the Ronin S. I don't see zhiyun doing anything anytime soon to address the P4k balancing issues on the Weebill Lab plus even if they do, I don't see it being in the market anytime soon. I am sure they will say get their Crane 3 which for me looks too big. 

Yeah, but 1600g vs 1250g (without adapter plate though) for both version 2 of Moza Air and Zhiyun Crane (that Crane 2 vs Crane V2 denomination is simply stupid), respectively.

 

 

8 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

Hey I got some older sigma EF lenses like 17-50 2.8, 24 2.8 and 14 2.8

Would the pocket 4K work with them on this cheap gimbal?

https://store.feiyu-tech.com/products/feiyutech-a1000-for-dslr-mirrorless-camera-1-kilogram-payload-damping-sliding-arm-45-degree-elevation

 

1 kilogram is too tight, isn't it? ; )

 

8 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

And could I control focus and f stop remotely with this aputure dec adapter?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Wireless-Focusing-Adapter-Cameras/dp/B00X14F5CA

Or with the more expensive Dec vari ND control even ND remotely?

https://www.aputure.com/products/dec-vari-nd-1

Yes, indeed : )

 

8 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

Has anyone tried this combo?

Not yet, but I will... ; -)

 

8 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

If I have regular vari ND can I touch it to adjust it while the camera is still on the running gimbal? I don't need to be adjusting all the time. Just before the take.

Thanks

Yup, but with the Aputure DEC Vari-ND you can have more room to change it during recording.

 

Take a look on these both ones:

 

Air2.Air.Crane2.Ronin-s_Comparison_7630a

 

Reason why I still think that 1,1kg of the Moza Air version 1 is still unbeatable and the only one to match the Weebill LAB portability and lightweight without quirks and much better outcome to evaluate from the first tests with the new Zhiyun-Tech tool.

As others have said here, the road (Crane 3 LAB) Zhiyun will certainly address and target the new P4K looks like too cumbersome...

So the same for the other Moza Air 2 option too. Let alone the Ronin S...

 

The Crane 2 is the only other alternative I see in the light side. That is, I have no feedback with AK2000 and 4000 models there -- seems a much heavier route though:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433116-REG/feiyu_ak2000_gimbal_stabilizer.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433117-REG/feiyu_ak4000_gimbal_stabilizer.html

The fact you'll be able to handle the gimbal for more time really counts to my book : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got word the Weebill will arrive today, so I can do some testing over the weekend. People want to see how smooth it is in slowmotion right? 

If the weather is nice, I plan to test it filming a live song performed by a singer-songwriter friend - I'll happily share the SOOC file if people are interested. I'll shoot DCI ProRes 422 24p, unless people would like another format to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I just got word the Weebill will arrive today, so I can do some testing over the weekend. People want to see how smooth it is in slowmotion right? 

If the weather is nice, I plan to test it filming a live song performed by a singer-songwriter friend - I'll happily share the SOOC file if people are interested. I'll shoot DCI ProRes 422 24p, unless people would like another format to play with.

Future Zhiyun-Tech (Weebill LAB) sales are in your hands... Trust me! : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I just got word the Weebill will arrive today, so I can do some testing over the weekend. People want to see how smooth it is in slowmotion right? 

If the weather is nice, I plan to test it filming a live song performed by a singer-songwriter friend - I'll happily share the SOOC file if people are interested. I'll shoot DCI ProRes 422 24p, unless people would like another format to play with.

Wow. I am guessing you will be, officially, the first person to be using the Weebill with BMPCC4K. Sounds pretty interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On initial tests, I'm really happy with it. It doesn't balance with the 18-35 from Sigma, but that's a long and heavy lens. I can't push the camera back on the mount far enough to centre the weight. I thought that would be the case anyway.

I've also tried with the Sigma's old 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8 and 10-18mm (which I hacked to fit the Viltrox) they all balance well and seem to be a good set to have in mind on a gimbal. I think short or light lenses are the way to go. the 18-35 is neither.

I do need to add a weight onto the arm as the camera pulls down on the left, as seen in the videos I posted before. I was hoping I could mount the camera upside-down to make the weight more central, but that didn't work for me, it still pulled on the left. The good news though, is that the camera fits width ways, the right way up, without any adaptors / riser plates etc. the weight distribution is the only hangup and a very simple solution.

For now I've used an old phone and some velcro, but obviously that's not a long term solution. Heading to the hardware store to grab some washers and wingnuts today. That way I can easily adjust the weight depending on the lens I'm using. With the washers in place, I'll upload some photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Anaconda_ 

I was hoping for a more straightforward solution.

Are all the modes possible with this combination?

Can you control any operation of the camera from the gimbal?

I just can not comprehend how Zhiyun underestimated the P4K popularity, which is a camera that screams "Gimbal!!!".

I am expecting an in-house solution, and soon. The bigger gimbals are overkill for my needs, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...