What Do Y'all Think of The Kinefinity Mavo LF?

Zach Goodwin2

Yeah im skipping kinefinity as well. Blackmagic will probably release a full frame camera at some point too, which will beat this price no doubt, and will have much better support. (I just hope they will have a upgrade platform from the ursa mini pro to full frame, just fingers crossed that they thought about this when developing the ursa mini pro, like RED did)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/26/2018 at 10:41 PM, zerocool22 said:

(I just hope they will have a upgrade platform from the ursa mini pro to full frame, just fingers crossed that they thought about this when developing the ursa mini pro, like RED did)

After what happened with URSA I wouldn't hold your breath

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

?

Screenshot_2018-12-17-22-49-51-965_com.instagram.android.png

Wow has it already been 10 years. what have I done with my life. At least Philips career took off from then  and peaked and is now back where ever he started I guess. 
I remember Philip Bloom's 7D tutorial series. Which helped me out a lot when starting out. But dang this is the proof right here, dont fixate on gear and stop waiting on the gear to become affordable. 

On 11/26/2018 at 3:41 AM, zerocool22 said:

Yeah im skipping kinefinity as well. Blackmagic will probably release a full frame camera at some point too, which will beat this price no doubt, and will have much better support. (I just hope they will have a upgrade platform from the ursa mini pro to full frame, just fingers crossed that they thought about this when developing the ursa mini pro, like RED did)

Oh you know it’s coming ?

On 12/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, zerocool22 said:

But dang this is the proof right here, dont fixate on gear and stop waiting on the gear to become affordable. 

I'd feel sorry for those who thought the "5D isn't good enough" and waited ten years for an "affordable" (!) so called "full frame" 4K raw camera to come out! :joy:

Hmm, that could have been shot on just about anything out today. Not impressed. At least not with That video. But if you are into FF video, using a Cine body, it is for sure the cheapest way to do it. But the output looks nice, but nearly all the newer stuff looks good with skill now.

It is not going to be long before the days of 50,000 dollar Arri's are a thing of the past. The gap is closing at a alarming rate if you are the one building the high end stuff. The cost to put any of these new mirrorless cameras in a Cine style box can't be 1000 bucks more to do. Most all of them have a big ass heat sink and a fan in them, and 1 1/2" of it is the electronics, and 1" for the sensor. Look at the new Sony Venice with the detachable front to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah between the PK4, this Nikon announcement, the X-T3, hell even a new iPhone XS, people better re think the pricing on all this higher end stuff. The days are numbered charging 50,000 bucks for a camera I don't care who makes it down the road. Even 3500 dollar DSLR, Mirrorless cameras are DOA down the road. You are getting ripped off in this day and age for that stuff it seems.

I really like what Kinefinity is doing. I have no idea what their cameras cost... I assume they’re out of my price range but I do like their image. Pleasing color, good DR and decent highlight rolloff with good codecs... what more do you need?

However, I think they are one company that could be well served with some sort of “pocket” version. I really like the idea of their 3K modes. I’ve always felt that really good 2K or 3K wasn’t optimized and really just skipped over for 4K... Arri’s 2.7K wasn’t arbitrary.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:51 AM, AlexTrinder96 said:

?

Screenshot_2018-12-17-22-49-51-965_com.instagram.android.png

Every time I see a screenshot I always look at how much battery people have left.  It's probably because my wife and kids are always screaming about having 2% left when we've only left the house 5 minutes ago, and I just wonder why they don't charge them while they're at home...

26% - that's considerably above average from what I see online, well done! :)

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I really like what Kinefinity is doing. I have no idea what their cameras cost... I assume they’re out of my price range but I do like their image. Pleasing color, good DR and decent highlight rolloff with good codecs... what more do you need?

However, I think they are one company that could be well served with some sort of “pocket” version. I really like the idea of their 3K modes. I’ve always felt that really good 2K or 3K wasn’t optimized and really just skipped over for 4K... Arri’s 2.7K wasn’t arbitrary.

My impression is that they're kind of the "zero ergonomics modular camera" equivalent of early Blackmagic.  They push what can be done for the money, but the question is if they're reliable.  Most of the reviews I've seen online from previous models are from people who pre-ordered really early and are receiving the camera in the first batches.  The reviews typically include a mixture of gorgeous footage from the Kinefinity, nice footage of them using the Kinefinity, and shaky iPhone footage from when the camera totally bricked itself and won't turn on again, followed by a narration about how it took an hour on the phone to tech support to reset it, or how they had to send the unit back and that's why the review took 6 weeks to film.

I think they've got a lot in common with the P4K in that naive people likely ordered based on specs and end up selling it when they realise the camera isn't waterproof (or something equally obvious to most people) so there might be some bargains around second-hand.  However, I'd read a lot around how buggy the firmware is before parting with your money :)

On 1/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, DBounce said:

I’m thinking this is going to be getting a large price cut shortly. Nikon putting everyone on notice??

DBounce, always the pessimist about Kinefinity!

22 hours ago, mercer said:

Their camera brains are all sub $10K, even sub $4K

22 hours ago, mercer said:

However, I think they are one company that could be well served with some sort of “pocket” version.

Haven't you seen just how small their Kinefinity Terra models are? Much smaller than a built up RED! Let alone the likes of an Arri Alexa Mini. 

A Kinefinity Terra body is more like a 5D DSLR body. 

You're getting to be quite comparable to BMD's "pocket" camera. (ha!)

21 hours ago, kye said:

so there might be some bargains around second-hand.

Nope. And I've been looking out for secondhand bargains for years. 

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nope. And I've been looking out for secondhand bargains for years. 

Interesting.  Maybe they just haven't sold enough of them to end up in the hands of people who don't value them and use them?  They're a pretty niche item really, and they don't have the marketing of something like RED where every YouTuber secretly wants to vlog with one.