Jump to content
Andrew Reid

I WILL be getting a Fuji X-T3!

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Two things.

1) I think I figured it out, the exposure shift at higher ISO can be caused by two things. Peripherial light correct and dynamic range priority. With auto iso on and peripherial light correction on when the camera goes to 8000 iso there is a quick exposure bump that is not smooth. With this setting turned off, it didn’t happen in my little test. You can see this in the viewfinder and EVF as it happens. 

Dynamic range priority messes with exposure a lot, even if you have an iso value set. It pulls and pushes shadows and highlights regardless. I tried it in auto, strong and weak. I wouldn’t recommend using this setting if you’re in anything but continuous controlled lighting. Really, only use it for photos.

2) @Attila Bakos I’ve tried samsung 128gb uhs II cards, Sandisk 128gb cards and Sony 64gb cards that are on the approved list. I haven’t seen a difference in video mode at the highest data and quality settings. If I were shooting something I couldn’t redo on a paid shoot I would stick to the Sony cards for peace of mind but for everything else, just make sure it’s UHS II. For the sports preshot mode in photo, all cards worked but I noticed the buffer cleared significantly faster with the Sony cards. Couldn’t produce a lock up with any of the cards when I tried.

As an aside, the 18-135 did produce something funky the last time I used it. The EVF and LCD would slow way down and the shutter speed dial wouldn’t change. It didn’t stop until I took off the lens and put another one on. I was able to make it happen again by looking through the EVF and then taking my eye away and putting it back quickly. Only happened with my copy of the 18-135mm, no other lenses. I finally got through to Fujifilm USA technical services this morning on the phone and they are going to take a look at my copy of the lens. Hopefully it’s just a problem with my copy and not a widespread issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fujifilm X-T3 is a hell of a camera no doubt, but another thing many seem to forget is when you buy a body, you also need to buy lenses. When you take into account the entire Fujifilm echo system, you start to understand that that the system cost is much much lower than virtually every other camera system out there. You will pay many times more for equivalent build and optical quality when comparing what Panasonic, Canon and other can offer. I think the Fujifilm lenses compare more rightly against the Panasonic Leica lenses, and far outclass the standard Panasonic lenses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The Fujifilm X-T3 is a hell of a camera no doubt, but another thing many seem to forget is when you buy a body, you also need to buy lenses. When you take into account the entire Fujifilm echo system, you start to understand that that the system cost is much much lower than virtually every other camera system out there. You will pay many times more for equivalent build and optical quality when comparing what Panasonic, Canon and other can offer. I think the Fujifilm lenses compare more rightly against the Panasonic Leica lenses, and far outclass the standard Panasonic lenses. 

I wish they had some fast primes with IS or that worked good with AF and weren't loud. That is what has held me back from getting one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The Fujifilm X-T3 is a hell of a camera no doubt, but another thing many seem to forget is when you buy a body, you also need to buy lenses. When you take into account the entire Fujifilm echo system, you start to understand that that the system cost is much much lower than virtually every other camera system out there. You will pay many times more for equivalent build and optical quality when comparing what Panasonic, Canon and other can offer. I think the Fujifilm lenses compare more rightly against the Panasonic Leica lenses, and far outclass the standard Panasonic lenses. 

I'm with you on that. Sony FE lenses are outrageously expensive; Olympus Pro and PanLeica lenses can cost upwards of $1,200 or more. By comparison, taking into account their superior build quality and optical performance, the Fujinon lenses can seem like a real bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sandro said:

Do we have any comparison for high ISO in video mode? Maybe to other cameras and the XT2 (to see how much of a "downgrade" that is looking at pictures)?

There are already tests online and over at DPReview showing the difference in high ISO performance between the X-T2 and X-T3. Most seem to agree that the increase in performance outweighs the slight loss of low light ability if I remember correctly. Check out the DPReview video I posted above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

If I get it right, the X-T3 has a 1.25 crop in 4k60 + 1.53 frome the Aps-c crop factor, which give a 1.78 crop. Same as the Canon EosR, and not so different than the GH5.

So we are comparing it to the EOS R are we :)

It is 4k60. EOS R doesn't even do 4K60!

No-additional crop in 1.5x Super 35mm 4K/24/25/30p. GH5 isn't 1.5x crop. It's 2x crop. Quite different.

Speed Booster = full frame. On GH5, close but no cigar.

Codec - FAR superior to EOS R. Rolling shutter - FAR superior. Build quality - superior. Low light - superior (yes, really). Handling - superior. EVF - superior. Price - $700 less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So we are comparing it to the EOS R are we :)

It is 4k60. EOS R doesn't even do 4K60!

No-additional crop in 1.5x Super 35mm 4K/24/25/30p. GH5 isn't 1.5x crop. It's 2x crop. Quite different.

Speed Booster = full frame. On GH5, close but no cigar.

Codec - FAR superior to EOS R. Rolling shutter - FAR superior. Build quality - superior. Low light - superior (yes, really). Handling - superior. EVF - superior. Price - $700 less!

Actually, I have no interest in the EosR, but was asking myself since I already have an A7iii and the Gh5, and after using a XT3 this afternoon, felt in love with it’s ergonomics.

But 1.78 crop for 4k60 is difficult to accept, when you already have the two cameras above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Actually, I have no interest in the EosR, but was asking myself since I already have an A7iii and the Gh5, and after using a XT3 this afternoon, felt in love with it’s ergonomics.

But 1.78 crop for 4k60 is difficult to accept, when you already have the two cameras above.

Yeah its not too bad though since I am so used to shooting on the GH5. Its the same crop as the GH5S though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still no cat & flower videos after 2 weeks on the market? just took first shots with half battery .. h265 files are sure hard on pc power.. just some frame grabs, toolate for any editing :)

i do like eterna profile, but you need to be extra careful with highlights.

And the 18-55 lens has very good OIS for video, very natural and doesn't jerk on pans, like my panny gx80 and fz2000 do.

I still haven't opened the manual, but i thought by setting 25P as recording format that shutter speed would be in base 25, but I still get 30 / 60 / 120 ...is there a hidden setting somewhere? 

 

 

test-parte02.mxf.00_03_39_04.Immagine001.jpg

test-parte02.mxf.00_03_41_11.Immagine002.jpg

test-parte02.mxf.00_05_04_02.Immagine003.jpg

test-parte02.mxf.00_05_27_13.Immagine004.jpg

test-parte02.mxf.00_08_00_13.Immagine005.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you post an example of video with the 18-55. Curious to see the stabilization. I will definitely buy one if its decent. IBIS is nice, but honestly I was happy with the OIS on my Sony A6300, if it can match that I'd be really happy. 

I'll definitely be converting the H265 to prores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henry Ciullo said:

I still haven't opened the manual, but i thought by setting 25P as recording format that shutter speed would be in base 25, but I still get 30 / 60 / 120 ...is there a hidden setting somewhere? 

The manual can be your friend. My XT-3 has not arrived but from memory I have seen it changed via the rear command wheel (I think) in 1/3 increments. I know it can be done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing with it today, and really enjoyed he Fuji feeling, here’s why I prefer to wait an upcoming X-h2 :

- The battery is weak ; 43mn in 4k recording.
- No Ibis. Even If Idon’t find the A7iii one relevant, it’s quite usefull to avoid micro jitters.
- No flip screen. I know... it’s a youtuber or vloger thing. Well, not really. It’s really useful when you are a one man crew, and don’t want to deal with an external monitor.
- Cause I don’t like h265 codec at high bitrate, a 4k50 10bit 422 in h264 would be nice.
- Crop Factor ; 1.53 + 1.25 in 4k50 is too much for my taste.

I really think the X-t3 is a fantastic Cameras, but I also believes that a lot of these above will be fixed in their next camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from XT2 to XH1, however that AF on the XT3 is feeding my GAS. Plus the Xh1 has a tendency to lock up at the worst times.

Would you recommend to buy the XT3 in addition to the XH1, or to swap the XH1 to an XT3, or to sit on my hands until the XH2 comes out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the video crop factor different from an X-T2 to the X-T3?

I ask because I got a graphite X-T2 and the battery booster not long ago on the $500 off deal +15% eBay + eBay Bucks deal.

I like it, I am testing anamorphic taking lens on my anamorphic rig to see how wide I can go.

I find in video mode I can use the Minolta Rokkor 40mm and my B&H Kowa 2x using the Metabones Minolta Speedbooster.

MUCH wider than my GH5 EOS Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster and EOS mount Minolta PG Rokkor 58/1.2 plus B&H Kowa 2x setup.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, buggz said:

Is the video crop factor different from an X-T2 to the X-T3?

I ask because I got a graphite X-T2 and the battery booster not long ago on the $500 off deal +15% eBay + eBay Bucks deal.

I like it, I am testing anamorphic taking lens on my anamorphic rig to see how wide I can go.

I find in video mode I can use the Minolta Rokkor 40mm and my B&H Kowa 2x using the Metabones Minolta Speedbooster.

MUCH wider than my GH5 EOS Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster and EOS mount Minolta PG Rokkor 58/1.2 plus B&H Kowa 2x setup.

 

 

 

Yep same as XT2 at least in 24 and 30p. 1.5 up to 4k 30p and 1.75 up in 4k 60p and 1080 120p. Even cropped it has a large field of view then the GH5.

44 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

After playing with it today, and really enjoyed he Fuji feeling, here’s why I prefer to wait an upcoming X-h2 :

- The battery is weak ; 43mn in 4k recording.
- No Ibis. Even If Idon’t find the A7iii one relevant, it’s quite usefull to avoid micro jitters.
- No flip screen. I know... it’s a youtuber or vloger thing. Well, not really. It’s really useful when you are a one man crew, and don’t want to deal with an external monitor.
- Cause I don’t like h265 codec at high bitrate, a 4k50 10bit 422 in h264 would be nice.
- Crop Factor ; 1.53 + 1.25 in 4k50 is too much for my taste.

I really think the X-t3 is a fantastic Cameras, but I also believes that a lot of these above will be fixed in their next camera.

The battery should be better, but I doubt it will have a flip screen and the crop factor will be the same. I also think it will have the same H265 codec. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alex Uzan said:

If I get it right, the X-T3 has a 1.25 crop in 4k60 + 1.53 frome the Aps-c crop factor, which give a 1.78 crop. Same as the Canon EosR, and not so different than the GH5.

Crop in 4K60 is 1.18x, the 1.25x crop is the sports finder mode for 30fps stills shooting. Also just FYI, the 120p mode is 1.28x crop.

51 minutes ago, buggz said:

Is the video crop factor different from an X-T2 to the X-T3?

I ask because I got a graphite X-T2 and the battery booster not long ago on the $500 off deal +15% eBay + eBay Bucks deal.

I like it, I am testing anamorphic taking lens on my anamorphic rig to see how wide I can go.

I find in video mode I can use the Minolta Rokkor 40mm and my B&H Kowa 2x using the Metabones Minolta Speedbooster.

MUCH wider than my GH5 EOS Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster and EOS mount Minolta PG Rokkor 58/1.2 plus B&H Kowa 2x setup.

 

 

 

Quite different. X-T2 has no crop in all 1080p mode including 120p. 1.18x crop in all 4K framerates.

X-T3 has no crop in 1080p up to 60fps, then 1.28x crop in 100/120p. (very likely to be supersampled from the crop area, the images are aliasing free). No crop in 4K up to 30fps, then 1.18x in 50/60p.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...