What Was This Shot On? - Oh Nevermind

User

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How can anyone tell how many stops of DR this camera has or doesn’t have under the shooting circumstances? 

Between the gazillion reflective surfaces, the white roof, the most annoying cloud coverage for shooting a wide angle with people, and the awesome YouTube compression, I’d say the video turned out fairly well under the circumstances.

I didn’t even mention the patterns that dominate the frame at every single turn.

And if you look up the shooter’s web site, there is quality work there.

If I have to guess what camera was used... the colors look like a Panasonic to me, but I’m unsure to be honest.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

This is what a hobbyist would have done with an 8mm/S8mm/16mm/miniDV camera at whatever point in history. The most important improvement is probably the better sound catch.

Nah, a hobbyist would have used a slider, drone, and some sort of other unnecessary tool. 

This is well shot and very intentionally feels candid and on the fly. Any cuts would also ruin the feel they are going for. 

4 hours ago, User said:

It's dubbed.

Yup, they're click tracking the performance for studio recording lay-in after the fact.  Nice technique for doing live music video stuff if your performers are skilled enough for it.

I once did a "live" music video with a rock band across multiple performances in multiple cities.  This was without click track.  However, the drummer was so solid on recreating his tempo, I could pull up to 20 second excerpts that would hold sync to their studio recording.  Mind you it was through different days, weeks, and "moods" of the venue.  Kind of amazing, really.  

The one time I asked him to actually use a click track while playing and he couldn't do it!  

Well, I honestly think that the video looks awful in every respect (camera movement/stabilization, colors, image quality) and sounds terribly artificial with the overdubbed studio track.

What a waste of a location - Görlitzer Park in Berlin-Kreuzberg - where you get good atmosphere for free.

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

Well, I honestly think that the video looks awful in every respect (camera movement/stabilization, colors, image quality) and sounds terribly artificial with the overdubbed studio track.

What a waste of a location - Görlitzer Park in Berlin-Kreuzberg - where you get good atmosphere for free.

I tend to agree. If it were photos it would be just snap shots. Hey they work, better than nothing. I guess we can ask, was it done intentionally to represent a time when things we could afford were really not so good, but the best we could do then with what we had, or sort of artsy, throwback filming. Or was it just, eh, bad film making? Damn if I know?

It was one person shooting like 12 musicians moving around in a disorganized manner, in not ideal conditions, while trying to feature every one of them. Ya'll have really high expectations given the circumstances. ?

Looking at his portfolio, the guy that shot it has done work for Adidas and ASICS in Germany, as well as music videos, so he seems to be doing pretty good for himself

8 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yup, they're click tracking the performance for studio recording lay-in after the fact.  Nice technique for doing live music video stuff if your performers are skilled enough for it.

I once did a "live" music video with a rock band across multiple performances in multiple cities.  This was without click track.  However, the drummer was so solid on recreating his tempo, I could pull up to 20 second excerpts that would hold sync to their studio recording.  Mind you it was through different days, weeks, and "moods" of the venue.  Kind of amazing, really.  

The one time I asked him to actually use a click track while playing and he couldn't do it!  

I did a music documentary a decade ago , but because I was doing one of the cameras and other stuff, someone else did the sound engineering, so in the end we didn't have any usable sound at our finale's band. We found their performamce in Budapest, I believe, and it matched our performance 100%, in the middle they had a localized section, calling our city and singing with the audience, and until the end the 2 performamces matched completely!

Disclaimer: I watched the video on my mobile phone on a short brake for work, so the only thing that impressed me was the good sound.

9 hours ago, cantsin said:

This performance makes me happy every time I see it and the best part of it is the fun everyone is having.
I'm happy that it is just one guy with what is probably a smartphone on a gimbal and freestyle approach and that as a professional - with every tool available to him - he went small. It's not always about how much money and gear you can throw at something... we know less can often be more... and this is about the performance and crowd engagement. That to me is worth more than anything else.

I spent half of the last 10 years in, around and moving through Golitzer - which we affectionately call the human ashtray - this lo-fi approach captures the mood and feel of the place extremely well.

To each their own... and all that techno-jazz.

Hey, viral videos are usually filmed on a potato. There's still something to say for 'content is king'... there's gold and diamonds in the ground, might be covered by layers of dirt, rocks and schtuff, but it doesn't mean it's not valuable... opposed to a turd that can't be polished... where no matter how you rub it, it still stinks and there's no layers hiding something of significance.

Whatever the case... I got a new ringtone out of it. xD

18 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Hey, viral videos are usually filmed on a potato. There's still something to say for 'content is king'... there's gold and diamonds in the ground, might be covered by layers of dirt, rocks and schtuff, but it doesn't mean it's not valuable... opposed to a turd that can't be polished... where no matter how you rub it, it still stinks and there's no layers hiding something of significance.

Whatever the case... I got a new ringtone out of it. xD

Agreed, 733,000 views and counting, someone obviously likes it. It captured a moment, well done.

Who cares about how many stops of DR.

Cheers

Chris