Jump to content
DaveAltizer

Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Recommended Posts

I love Fuji's philosophy about updates and I loved my X-T2 very much, however, webrunner5 is right that they rushed the X-H1. They aimed this body partly at videographers, and you don't want do this with such a flaw in CAF. You also don't want to do this with sudden and therefore very visible corrections in your video while using IBIS, which is a major selling point for video. It seems to be calibrated for photo mode and I think it should work differently in video mode. I'm no expert there, but I'm certainly not the first who noticed this. 120p has oceans of moiré/aliasing, this is something I doubt they can fix, but what about 1080p60? There was a comparison earlier in this thread that shows lesser quality 1080p60 compared to the X-T2. It would be great if someone could confirm that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sony doesn't fix jack in my experience, they are the absolute worst in that respect imo. Not bugs and definitely not adding stuff like Fuji and Blackmagic. Fuji are quick on the ball so I wouldn't worry one single bit about it. 

Personally I never ever shoot outside of DR100 so it doesn't matter anyway :)

Didn't you just read what Jon just said about the XT2? Hell 8 months later Sony has a whole new camera out, not firmware 2.0! Your using a camera company that is living in the past like Pentax. Trade up and enter the 22nd century. Sony is it.  Only Old people like me own a Fuji. Even I saw the light! You probably even still go on DPR. Fuji heh.

Did you actually really buy a X-H1? It looks pretty good I will say that.

3 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

I love Fuji's philosophy about updates and I loved my X-T2 very much, however, webrunner5 is right that they rushed the X-H1. They aimed this body partly at videographers, and you don't want do this with such a flaw in CAF. You also don't want to do this with sudden and therefore very visible corrections in your video while using IBIS, which is a major selling point for video. It seems to be calibrated for photo mode and I think it should work differently in video mode. I'm no expert there, but I'm certainly not the first who noticed this. 120p has oceans of moiré/aliasing, this is something I doubt they can fix, but what about 1080p60? There was a comparison earlier in this thread that shows lesser quality 1080p60 compared to the X-T2. It would be great if someone could confirm that too.

Well I am afraid Everyone is rushed in these days. It is a race to be first that is for sure. Sony sort of started this no doubt. A new camera seemed like every 6 months. Nobody can afford now to be left behind. It is great for us but we are a Ginny Pig for them also sad to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use the expanded DR settings myself either on the X-T2 but a "positive" that can be gained from this issue is that it may actually offer some insight for Fuji regarding why the AF seems to be gathering reports as being inferior on the X-H1.

It might not just be the DR100/200/400 setting thats impacting the AF but an indication of an interaction between certain image processing tasks and performance.

I wouldn't wait for 8 months with this one if I was them though as that A7iii is batting its eyelashes and showing a lot of ankle to potential X-H1 owners right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calm down... Calm down everyone. There is absolutely no need to fight.

Sony will definitely fix the following issue:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/details-sony-a7iii-stripe-issue/

Within 6 months, I'm sure of it.... With a new body that will put the a7iii to shame...

Just to equalize that comment.

Fuji will fix the problem in 8 months, way after Sony introduces its other body and it would have reduced its launch price, just in time for Christmas :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm holding off on the XH1 because of some of the issues that have surfaced. If the AF is fine with DR100 (the only setting I've ever used since I rarely shoot jpeg), then its less of an issue for me. But Fuji does need to address it ASAP because the rage of the internet will paint an ugly picture of doom - much like the uncompressed raw issue with Sony, or the star eater issue with Sony, or the lack of PP's with the a9 and so on. Can any owners in this thread do some further testing to check this out?

Chris

2 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Calm down... Calm down everyone. There is absolutely no need to fight.

Sony will definitely fix the following issue:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/details-sony-a7iii-stripe-issue/

Within 6 months, I'm sure of it.... With a new body that will put the a7iii to shame...

Just to equalize that comment.

Fuji will fix the problem in 8 months, way after Sony introduces its other body and it would have reduced its launch price, just in time for Christmas :) 

The a7r2 does the same thing, and the XT2 does a well. Seems to be reflections with the PDAF array.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The a7r2 does the same thing, and the XT2 does a well. Seems to be reflections with the PDAF array.

Really? I haven't seen any news of this issue prior to the a7iii.

Some preliminary research shows the following:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3900698

But that isn't the same thing - you will see as you read through the thread and sample photos show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 months? Fuji are pretty responsive imo:

- XT2 was released Sep.8 2016

- First XT2 update was announced Oct.31 2016 and was released Nov.29 2016: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n161031_02.html

No company is immune to bugs/firmware updates these days.. and early adopters are (unfortunately) prone to dealing with them.

Let's not play the blame game. Buyers of gear need to inform themselves before purchase and make their own decisions.

Personally, i don't think shooting at DR100 is that big an issue. Might even go forward with my XH1 purchase now that the bug is identified.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Really? I haven't seen any news of this issue prior to the a7iii.

Some preliminary research shows the following:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3900698

But that isn't the same thing - you will see as you read through the thread and sample photos show up.

Sony has Always seemed to have had the " highlight blue peaking issue". Now this one. Interesting. A Sony A7s is real prone to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Django said:

8 months? Fuji are pretty responsive imo:

- XT2 was released Sep.8 2016

- First XT2 update was announced Oct.31 2016 and was released Nov.29 2016: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n161031_02.html

No company is immune to bugs/firmware updates these days.. and early adopters are (unfortunately) prone to dealing with them.

Let's not play the blame game. Buyers of gear need to inform themselves before purchase and make their own decisions.

Personally, i don't think shooting at DR100 is that big an issue. Might even go forward with my XH1 purchase now that the bug is identified.. 

 

That’s firmware update 1.10! I’ve got my facts straight, thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Really? I haven't seen any news of this issue prior to the a7iii.

Some preliminary research shows the following:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3900698

But that isn't the same thing - you will see as you read through the thread and sample photos show up.

I'm not talking about banding with the silent shutter. Its a visible artifact from the PDAF array that surfaces with backlit images, or shooting into the sun. I usually delete offending photos. But here it is again on the a7III. I've seen the same thing on the XT2 and the a7r2.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/details-sony-a7iii-stripe-issue/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trek of Joy said:

I'm not talking about banding with the silent shutter. Its a visible artifact from the PDAF array that surfaces with backlit images, or shooting into the sun. I usually delete offending photos. But here it is again on the a7III

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/details-sony-a7iii-stripe-issue/

But thats the one I pointed out.

You said its on the a7r2???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mkabi said:

But thats the one I pointed out.

You said its on the a7r2???

Its not the issue you pointed out, your Dpreview link above talks about the E-shutter banding under certian light frequencies.

The link I posted is for the PDAF grid on the a7III, its completely different.

Cheers

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

Its not the issue you pointed out, your Dpreview link above talks about the E-shutter banding under certian light frequencies.

The link I posted is for the PDAF grid on the a7III, its completely different.

Cheers

Chris

See here:

51 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Calm down... Calm down everyone. There is absolutely no need to fight.

Sony will definitely fix the following issue:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/details-sony-a7iii-stripe-issue/

Within 6 months, I'm sure of it.... With a new body that will put the a7iii to shame...

Just to equalize that comment.

Fuji will fix the problem in 8 months, way after Sony introduces its other body and it would have reduced its launch price, just in time for Christmas :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Didn't you just read what Jon just said about the XT2? Hell 8 months later Sony has a whole new camera out, not firmware 2.0! Your using a camera

Which Sony 1080p cameras have gotten 4K in firmware updates.. oh thats right, none. Ok which Sony cameras have gotten useful features added... oh..
Ok, I got one. Which Sony cameras have had regular issues and bugs fixed...?... hmm..


8 months vs Eternity ;)

I own a Sony and zero Fuji cameras. And Ive bought at least ten times as many Sonys vs any other brand over the years.
They are nice. But one thing they really suck absolute balls at imo. That is Firmware Updates.
Fuji on the other hand is leading the pack there. 

And given that this is a Fuji thread I will say that the A7iii can go suck it. I would never say that in a Sony thread, but here I can say it.
Im am so under impressed about the A7iii that I find it almost comical that people are so extremely excited. Its a cool camera but the hype is so massive. I mean are there even any good reviews on the Sony out yet?
(no, the Vegas reviews do not count at all. Thats just promo material. Im talking user reviews.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Which Sony 1080p cameras have gotten 4K in firmware updates.. oh thats right, none. Ok which Sony cameras have gotten useful features added... oh..
Ok, I got one. Which Sony cameras have had regular issues and bugs fixed...?... hmm..


8 months vs Eternity ;)

I own a Sony and zero Fuji cameras. And Ive bought at least ten times as many Sonys vs any other brand over the years.
They are nice. But one thing they really suck absolute balls at imo. That is Firmware Updates.
Fuji on the other hand is leading the pack there. 

And given that this is a Fuji thread I will say that the A7iii can go suck it. I would never say that in a Sony thread, but here I can say it.
Im am so under impressed about the A7iii that I find it almost comical that people are so extremely excited. Its a cool camera but the hype is so massive. I mean are there even any good reviews on the Sony out yet?
(no, the Vegas reviews do not count at all. Thats just promo material. Im talking user reviews.)

Agreed. Sony lags far behind Fuji in terms of updates and improvements. Improvmevents usually come by the way of new models. And in the case of the play memories apps, features disappear, never to be seen again. My XT2's are so much better since it was released, with AF improvements coming in two different updates. My a7r2/s2 saw an update that improved startup with the usual mystery "minor bugs and fixes."

I still can't believe in 2018 they can't even include a intervalometer in any camera - not the $4500 a9, the $3200 a7r3 and now the a73 - something just about every other current mirrorless body has. Stuff like that makes it really hard to stick with Sony. I'm in their camp because their sensors are second to none, but I don't like shooting with them.

So yes Fuji sucks for not including video exposure tools, Panasonic sucks because its still using 2009 AF tech in its $2500 bodies while pretending PDAF doesn't exist, Sony sucks for its lack of support across its lines and for fattening the spec sheet while leaving basic usability tools off its bodies and so on. Pick your poison.

I am confident the XH1 issues will get sorted, Fuji has done major FW updates across all its models over the years. Even if its 8 months - which I don't think will be the case - its still better than what we see from others.

Cheers

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Co-sign here as well on the A7 III. i've actually spent some time on a unit at a local preview event.. and was so severely underwhelmed by it.

The menu is just a total nightmare to navigate. Endless side-scrolling. Doesn't help the touchscreen doesn't work in menu navigation.

Actually the touchscreen functionality is sort of a joke.. you can't even pinch zoom on playback.. virtually no gestures. Just touch focus and double tap.

The EVF hasn't evolved since the II series, same aging 100mb XAVC-S codec,  it's got an OLPF.

I wasn't even that impressed with the new AF system, couldn't get eye AF to work in video either (although could be user error).

I tried the XH1 an hour later for the 1st time and felt immediately at home (ergonomically & functionally) was instantly reminded why i love Fuji and dislike Sony.

Keep in mind this is without even going into color science, or IQ...etc just shooting experience, design philosophy & handling.

PS: no horse in the race either as i don't own a Fuji atm (my XT2 & primes was just stolen during holiday in Morroco :bawling: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...