GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Sage

5 hours ago, deezid said:

looks good.
Already received your Pocket 4K?
Figured out quite a lot dealing with these nasty red and blue highlights...

Yes, that's the one above. Fortunately, the gamut situation won't be as tricky as I thought, as before I was playing with the Ursa footage, which rises above 1.0 floating. That case will require a special Lut command to avoid red clipping in 709

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/17/2019 at 6:19 AM, Sage said:

You'll be fine there; the in is the same as the out and timeline (no transform). Here are the defaults (or can set to 'DaVinci YRGB', and Rec709 2.4 Timeline):

Defaults2.PNG.0bf8444ecaef1852a161e76c78e79a98.PNG

I see your Input Color Space is set to Rec.709. Is this for CineD or you use it for vlog-l too?
My impression was that input color space should match what the original footage was recorded with.

BTW Any updates on GH5S profile?

Thanks and cheers!!

1 hour ago, mirekti said:

I see your Input Color Space is set to Rec.709. Is this for CineD or you use it for vlog-l too?
My impression was that input color space should match what the original footage was recorded with.

BTW Any updates on GH5S profile?

Thanks and cheers!!

Yes, to Rec709 Gamma 2.4 (or simply Davinci YRGB for Color science). The project-level color management settings come into play when you want to conform all footage from one color space to another (with EC, the conversion does the conform). The S will come shortly after the P4K (next up)

On 5/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, mercer said:

With the FCPX issue, could a workaround involve using Resolve as a color corrector (LUT utility) and then transcoding the “LogC” files to ProRes for an FCPX import? 

That is a possibility; though it is likely a minor distortion if Premiere 10 bit is any indication, not unlike a slight WB shift (though shifting with grayscale). One interim approach might be to note the required WB shift on the green/magenta axis to compensate, and apply this in advance of the conversion. In any case, there will be a Pre soon methinks.

5 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

I have been using GHa on my P4k until Alex has the new lut ready. Thought i'd share a few tests - I feel like it is working quite well, and handles over-saturated reds and blues pretty nicely. Looking forward to the official lut :)

Untitled_1.14.2.png

Untitled_1.70.3.png

Untitled_1.97.2.png

Untitled_1.118.1.png

Untitled_1.135.3.png

Untitled_1.25.1.png

Untitled_1.147.1.png

The first and second grab look great. I don’t think Sage will have to do too many tweaks. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

The first and second grab look great. I don’t think Sage will have to do too many tweaks. 

Thanks! I agree - the GHa lut seems to already play really nice with the P4k...the main workaround right now is in the highlights, since the p4k has more dynamic range, you have to bring down highlights before the lut.

12 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

I have been using GHa on my P4k until Alex has the new lut ready. Thought i'd share a few tests - I feel like it is working quite well, and handles over-saturated reds and blues pretty nicely. Looking forward to the official lut :)

Untitled_1.14.2.png

Untitled_1.70.3.png

Untitled_1.97.2.png

Untitled_1.118.1.png

Untitled_1.135.3.png

Untitled_1.25.1.png

Untitled_1.147.1.png

Those look pretty amazing as is. I finished the first tungsten conversion today (mostly). Still have some refinement to do. Here is an idea of it, a sample slice from both cams:

P4KTun.thumb.jpg.7911f56a0b036f695833a5ea3168f035.jpg

Hey @Sage!

Bought GHalex a couple of months ago, really enjoying it so far! Got two questions:

1. Is there any difference between filming in Vlog or filming in CineD and using the pre LUT? 

2. Do you have any reccomendations in adjusting whitebalance in FCPX?

22 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

Untitled_1.14.2.png

Untitled_1.118.1.png

Untitled_1.135.3.png

Man! Great pics! Whats your process of converting from BMD Film to Vlog?

10 hours ago, Sage said:

Those look pretty amazing as is. I finished the first tungsten conversion today (mostly). Still have some refinement to do. Here is an idea of it, a sample slice from both cams:

P4KTun.thumb.jpg.7911f56a0b036f695833a5ea3168f035.jpg

Absolute Legend - The man Sage! Started production on my feature....Cant wait to use these on my pocket camera. 

25 minutes ago, RCV said:

Man! Great pics! Whats your process of converting from BMD Film to Vlog?

Absolute Legend - The man Sage! Started production on my feature....Cant wait to use these on my pocket camera. 

Thanks! Here is my powergrade of my process. I shoot raw exclusively, so set colorspace and gamma to Acescct/ap1 in the raw tab. There is also an instance of filmconvert for grain you may or may not have to turn off if you don't have film convert. You can go through each node to see my adjustments. I convert to vlog with a CST.

GhaToP4k_1_234.1.dpx GhaToP4k_1.234.1.drx

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my recent video for a local culture organisation. The whole idea behind the event was to set up in 4 places in Wrocław at the same time and engage local communites in playing and singing songs. 

Shot on G80 in CineD, graded with CineD to VLOG PRE and GHa Daylight (Linear). Minimal adjustments done after. 

I absolutely love the results!

5 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Here's my recent video for a local culture organisation. The whole idea behind the event was to set up in 4 places in Wrocław at the same time and engage local communites in playing and singing songs. 

Shot on G80 in CineD, graded with CineD to VLOG PRE and GHa Daylight (Linear). Minimal adjustments done after. 

I absolutely love the results!

Nice work, that looks like a really cool spot and event!

By the way, for those using Linear, I am recommending a blanket desaturation to 90% following the conversion, until the next update is released