Jump to content
Sage

GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, deezid said:

looks good.
Already received your Pocket 4K?
Figured out quite a lot dealing with these nasty red and blue highlights...

Yes, that's the one above. Fortunately, the gamut situation won't be as tricky as I thought, as before I was playing with the Ursa footage, which rises above 1.0 floating. That case will require a special Lut command to avoid red clipping in 709

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/17/2019 at 6:19 AM, Sage said:

You'll be fine there; the in is the same as the out and timeline (no transform). Here are the defaults (or can set to 'DaVinci YRGB', and Rec709 2.4 Timeline):

Defaults2.PNG.0bf8444ecaef1852a161e76c78e79a98.PNG

I see your Input Color Space is set to Rec.709. Is this for CineD or you use it for vlog-l too?
My impression was that input color space should match what the original footage was recorded with.

BTW Any updates on GH5S profile?

 

Thanks and cheers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sage said:

 

20190422_184306.thumb.jpg.5581763e6461ca6334a8fd60c5a3f388.jpg

Schweeeet!!! This is going to be a banger! So many of the bmpc4k in the wild and they are always out of stock at retailers. Cant wait for this as I just received my camera!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mirekti said:

I see your Input Color Space is set to Rec.709. Is this for CineD or you use it for vlog-l too?
My impression was that input color space should match what the original footage was recorded with.

BTW Any updates on GH5S profile?

 

Thanks and cheers!!

Yes, to Rec709 Gamma 2.4 (or simply Davinci YRGB for Color science). The project-level color management settings come into play when you want to conform all footage from one color space to another (with EC, the conversion does the conform). The S will come shortly after the P4K (next up)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, Sage said:

. The S will come shortly after the P4K (next up)

Can't wait to use the lut on my P4K. I know the P4KAlex lut coupled with BRAW would be insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, mercer said:

With the FCPX issue, could a workaround involve using Resolve as a color corrector (LUT utility) and then transcoding the “LogC” files to ProRes for an FCPX import? 

That is a possibility; though it is likely a minor distortion if Premiere 10 bit is any indication, not unlike a slight WB shift (though shifting with grayscale). One interim approach might be to note the required WB shift on the green/magenta axis to compensate, and apply this in advance of the conversion. In any case, there will be a Pre soon methinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

I have been using GHa on my P4k until Alex has the new lut ready. Thought i'd share a few tests - I feel like it is working quite well, and handles over-saturated reds and blues pretty nicely. Looking forward to the official lut :)

Untitled_1.14.2.png

Untitled_1.70.3.png

Untitled_1.97.2.png

Untitled_1.118.1.png

Untitled_1.135.3.png

Untitled_1.25.1.png

Untitled_1.147.1.png

The first and second grab look great. I don’t think Sage will have to do too many tweaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mercer said:

The first and second grab look great. I don’t think Sage will have to do too many tweaks. 

Thanks! I agree - the GHa lut seems to already play really nice with the P4k...the main workaround right now is in the highlights, since the p4k has more dynamic range, you have to bring down highlights before the lut.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

I have been using GHa on my P4k until Alex has the new lut ready. Thought i'd share a few tests - I feel like it is working quite well, and handles over-saturated reds and blues pretty nicely. Looking forward to the official lut :)

Untitled_1.14.2.png

Untitled_1.70.3.png

Untitled_1.97.2.png

Untitled_1.118.1.png

Untitled_1.135.3.png

Untitled_1.25.1.png

Untitled_1.147.1.png

Those look pretty amazing as is. I finished the first tungsten conversion today (mostly). Still have some refinement to do. Here is an idea of it, a sample slice from both cams:

P4KTun.thumb.jpg.7911f56a0b036f695833a5ea3168f035.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Sage!

Bought GHalex a couple of months ago, really enjoying it so far! Got two questions:

1. Is there any difference between filming in Vlog or filming in CineD and using the pre LUT? 

2. Do you have any reccomendations in adjusting whitebalance in FCPX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

I have been using GHa on my P4k until Alex has the new lut ready. Thought i'd share a few tests - I feel like it is working quite well, and handles over-saturated reds and blues pretty nicely. Looking forward to the official lut :)

Untitled_1.14.2.png

 

 

Untitled_1.118.1.png

Untitled_1.135.3.png

 

 

Man! Great pics! Whats your process of converting from BMD Film to Vlog?

10 hours ago, Sage said:

Those look pretty amazing as is. I finished the first tungsten conversion today (mostly). Still have some refinement to do. Here is an idea of it, a sample slice from both cams:

P4KTun.thumb.jpg.7911f56a0b036f695833a5ea3168f035.jpg

Absolute Legend - The man Sage! Started production on my feature....Cant wait to use these on my pocket camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RCV said:

Man! Great pics! Whats your process of converting from BMD Film to Vlog?

Absolute Legend - The man Sage! Started production on my feature....Cant wait to use these on my pocket camera. 

Thanks! Here is my powergrade of my process. I shoot raw exclusively, so set colorspace and gamma to Acescct/ap1 in the raw tab. There is also an instance of filmconvert for grain you may or may not have to turn off if you don't have film convert. You can go through each node to see my adjustments. I convert to vlog with a CST.

GhaToP4k_1_234.1.dpx GhaToP4k_1.234.1.drx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my recent video for a local culture organisation. The whole idea behind the event was to set up in 4 places in Wrocław at the same time and engage local communites in playing and singing songs. 

Shot on G80 in CineD, graded with CineD to VLOG PRE and GHa Daylight (Linear). Minimal adjustments done after. 

I absolutely love the results!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Here's my recent video for a local culture organisation. The whole idea behind the event was to set up in 4 places in Wrocław at the same time and engage local communites in playing and singing songs. 

Shot on G80 in CineD, graded with CineD to VLOG PRE and GHa Daylight (Linear). Minimal adjustments done after. 

I absolutely love the results!

Nice work, that looks like a really cool spot and event!

By the way, for those using Linear, I am recommending a blanket desaturation to 90% following the conversion, until the next update is released

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...