Jump to content
Sage

GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Recommended Posts

On 10/5/2019 at 7:27 AM, Julien416 said:

I guess the once planned GH5s version has been scrapped since then... I bought your lut thinking it was about to be released. A year and a half later I guess I was wrong. 

Same here regarding the GH5S.

I can understand this is a time consuming project, but it’s been almost two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Sage said:

23 months from the release of V1; 9 months from when I originally wanted to have S support ready by. It will get done, you have my word.

Have you thought about doing a beta system, even if paid? Some of us are ok with getting an decent version now and then getting updates as you go, instead of waiting. I’m interested in the S1H version, but I have projects now and hearing how many other things you’re working and how behind you are makes me believe I won’t get my hands on it anytime soon. But a good middle ground would be me paying and getting a version that isn’t perfected now, but with updates as you go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, i been busy buy but i wanted to share this short film i did last year.

The video is private, the film is now going thru festivals, so please don't make it public. But feel free to show with friends.

 

This was shot with GH5 and the used GHAlex Clog conversion, then B/W film emulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, crevice said:

Have you thought about doing a beta system, even if paid? Some of us are ok with getting an decent version now and then getting updates as you go, instead of waiting. I’m interested in the S1H version, but I have projects now and hearing how many other things you’re working and how behind you are makes me believe I won’t get my hands on it anytime soon. But a good middle ground would be me paying and getting a version that isn’t perfected now, but with updates as you go. 

The focus at the moment is the singular foundation for every camera; I foresee that once its out, things will move much faster. And the good news is that the foundation is, essentially, finished. So, not too much longer. V1, 23 months; V3, 11 months..

26 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Hi, i been busy buy but i wanted to share this short film i did last year.

The video is private, the film is now going thru festivals, so please don't make it public. But feel free to show with friends.

 

This was shot with GH5 and the used GHAlex Clog conversion, then B/W film emulation.

Very, very good. I'm not sure I fully understood, but it was pretty impressive work, and visually stunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's okay Alex. I can wait for the BMPCC 4K Conversion, just go with the flow and since the firmware 6.6 hasn't released and not sure when will BM release it, I'm afraid they will modify the color science or improve the Braw and this may impact the making of P4K Lut . Just take your time do your best. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jackch2n said:

It's okay Alex. I can wait for the BMPCC 4K Conversion, just go with the flow and since the firmware 6.6 hasn't released and not sure when will BM release it, I'm afraid they will modify the color science or improve the Braw and this may impact the making of P4K Lut . Just take your time do your best. :)

Yellows and greens don't clip yet, so there's definitely room for BMD to make things worse. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JeremyDulac said:

You should probably put your money where your mouth is and fund him quitting his day job.

What do you think I am, a sponsor? Get real. 
BTW 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mirekti said:

What do you think I am, a sponsor? Get real. 
BTW 

 

 

I mean the guy is only one person, and funding the camera rental, while nice, still doesn't pay the bills - which is where the time thing comes in, and Alex clearly has made a decision on what to do first based on the P4k demand. While that may not fit your needs, the Gh5s is becoming the minority, and I just think it is distasteful to act like he should just focus on what you want, because he said it is on the roadmap a long while back. He made no promises, and I am sure he has every intention of getting to it.

I was simply throwing some sarcasm out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeremyDulac said:

You should probably put your money where your mouth is and fund him quitting his day job.

 

I am in agreement with you!!!

I don't understand the rebellious-teen-diva-ish tone in some of the demands of this thread that the LUT be ready at their command.  They probably don't understand that Sage is  a one man R&D team, so he has to take his time to fine tune the luts. Plus as someone pointer earlier, updates are going to roll out soon and we don't know how that might affect the LUT as well.  Sage probably has other film demands to attend to, perhaps a full time job? He owes no one any deadline schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RCV said:

 

I am in agreement with you!!!

I don't understand the rebellious-teen-diva-ish tone in some of the demands of this thread that the LUT be ready at their command.  They probably don't understand that Sage is  a one man R&D team, so he has to take his time to fine tune the luts. Plus as someone pointer earlier, updates are going to roll out soon and we don't know how that might affect the LUT as well.  Sage probably has other film demands to attend to, perhaps a full time job? He owes no one any deadline schedule. 

EXACTLY! Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not the point. When I bought the lut, based on sage messages I was under the impression that the gh5s version was about to be released. I am not going to trace all the messages stipulating it as it would be a tedious and useless task. But Alex even mentioned to the people buying it with the gh5s in mind to add it in the ordering info. And here we are more than a year later. 

Honestly the lut as it is is still very useful even for the gh5s and I love it. Yet I am effraid that Alex has made a lot of promises that he hasn't fulfilled yet. I am OK with that, I took a risk and I knew it and once again, I am 95% OK with the lut as it is so I'd still buy it again. 

But I do not agree with the "it's a one man R&D, cut the guy some slack", he is charging good money for just a lut and it comes with responsabilities and people should be entitled to ask what's going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

But I do not agree with the "it's a one man R&D, cut the guy some slack", he is charging good money for just a lut and it comes with responsabilities and people should be entitled to ask what's going on. 

Good money?! DUDE. The level of math based, highly technical data corrections going into Alex's luts ( I know, I have asked him), and what that costs if you were to use proprietary luts created by a post house - id say you are getting a steal for how high quality these luts are.

Have you ever looked into the work Steve Yedlin is doing? Once you dive down the path of understanding how highly technical transforms are made, you realize why it is so valuable, and that NONE of this work is created in the traditional software we use, like Davinci Resolve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't dude me mate. We didn't raise pigs together.

I would actually consider it very cheap if it was actually designed to work with my gh5s. Once again, I am fine with it and would buy it again but, as a customer, I don't understand why me and some others have to justify ourselves to outsiders for just reminding past promised deadlines to Alex. 

Anyway, Alex's answer is fine to me. He is trying his best. Just what I wanted to hear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DUDE,  people only paid for the Gh5 lut not the S! I dont recall Alex having a preorder for the S version. There shouldn't be anything to complain about. 

  You used the word "entitled" in an earlier post. That's how the likes of you sound on this thread  - "Entitled" for "Good money"

It's beyond ridiculous. Like Jeremy said, Folks probably  don't understand what goes into this.

Let's Allow the genius to create, refine and continually develop the Luts in PEACE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a sure thing that the S will be supported as an update to all 5 users. I made the classic error of making estimates based on projections of future productivity. This is something I've seen so often, I'm surprised I fell into it myself (I was one of those scarred by the 3K Scarlet experience, circa '08-'11, still waiting). I think smaller, independent manufacturers can fall into the trap of being too enthusiastic and optimistic about their own speed and potential.

Something key to the picture is that the P4K, by virtue of its gamut and range, revealed limitations that I had missed with the GH5. It has been crucial in determining what the process to make the new HDR EC space would be. That process will directly be ported to the S and 5, and I think I will be able to do it much faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RCV said:

DUDE,  people only paid for the Gh5 lut not the S! I dont recall Alex having a preorder for the S version. There shouldn't be anything to complain about. 

  You used the word "entitled" in an earlier post. That's how the likes of you sound on this thread  - "Entitled" for "Good money"

It's beyond ridiculous. Like Jeremy said, Folks probably  don't understand what goes into this.

Let's Allow the genius to create, refine and continually develop the Luts in PEACE

You sure know how to level up the conversation. I seem to remember writing perfectly balanced messages always stating that I was mostly happy with my purchase, but I was regretting that Alex had made somewhat vague promises of new versions (like the GH5s one) even though he had no spare time to make them or maybe because they were too complicated to make accordingly to hiw own deadlines. If you want to paint me as a villain to simply state that promises should be made carefully in order not to disappoint costumers, then I will be happy to take the blame.

Meanwhile you can keep quoting me with out of contexts words and painting me as an ignorant fool while knowing nothing of me and my professionnal background, describing things with hyperbolic terms that adds absolutely nothing to the debate, and act as the useful idiot to trolls while I was having a perfectly balanced conversation with @Sage that brought me everything I needed to know about the future of its superb - but arguably pricey - lut.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the reminders; its overdue

For context, the leap from V3 to now is much bigger than the lateral move from 5 to S

The original idea was that V3 was Model 3, the conclusion of the project ('the Definitive Update'), which would be quickly brought to other cameras (as updating several cameras would be exponentially more difficult than perfecting the model first)

Alas, I discovered it could be improved. I was determined that it be done by July, but it has made significant leaps forward since then (perhaps the biggest two weeks ago)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...