“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

40 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

No, the Alexa LUT does this to un corrected GH5 footage plus Zeiss lenses are known for shifting this way as well. 

I guess to me there is one clue to look at here to get an idea.  Or should I say, two clues. 

Off topic, but this lens makes all other lenses seem inferior.  It is heads and shoulders above all other lenses!

I think I see what you did there, lol..

My guess would be a larger sensor.  - but you can get razor thin DOF with a Voigtlander on a M43 sensor too, sooo... I'm probably wrong. 

images are looking amazeballs!  I look at GH5 footage, and it generally looks way too detailed to me.  These look much smoother from high to low.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Could it be an improvement of the video encoding? Zooming in down to the pixels I see very little digital compression artefacts. This would also fall in line with G9's improved JPEG engine. Better compression allows for more grading room, and more smoothness. The highlights look pretty clean too, but as said above that may have been done by a grade or lut desaturating above a certain light level.

I'm glad I asked about the tif, at least we got a page of interesting conversation out of it :)

Thank you mr. Neumann for being a good sport and a brilliant teaser :)

4 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

No, the Alexa LUT does this to un corrected GH5 footage plus Zeiss lenses are known for shifting this way as well. 

I guess to me there is one clue to look at here to get an idea.  Or should I say, two clues. 

Off topic, but this lens makes all other lenses seem inferior.  It is heads and shoulders above all other lenses!

The name of the photo is "5a2d83138fdae_CrazyGrade.jpg.583bf8d5fe25b8a0f3936335a1b5e286.jpg"

Another possible clue could be that the word shoulders is italicized possibly in reference to the shoulder/knee region of a logarithmic response curve.

3 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

My guess would be a larger sensor.  - but you can get razor thin DOF with a Voigtlander on a M43 sensor too, sooo... I'm probably wrong. 

This is what I guessed too a few pages back.  Being that Luke just pointed out that this was shot at T1.9 after the mention of the voigts and shallow dof, I am starting to believe the larger sensor possibility.  Crazy as it may be, still think it could be an EVA sensor with M4/3 mount.  Maybe I am just dreaming...

5 minutes ago, sam rides a mtb said:

This is what I guessed too a few pages back.  Being that Luke just pointed out that this was shot at T1.9 after the mention of the voigts and shallow dof, I am starting to believe the larger sensor possibility.  Crazy as it may be, still think it could be an EVA sensor with M4/3 mount.  Maybe I am just dreaming...

You get the same DoF or even less from the 42.5 F1.7 so no. 

I don't think it's anything to do with depth of field but rather a lot of latitude to pull up the shadows. Seems to me much better dynamic range, possibly even RAW? The one aspect that is missing from the current lineup of mirrorless cameras is excellent highlight roll-off. This is currently only available in cinema cameras. This would be huge if Panasonic put this into a mirrorless body.

5 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

To my eyes, there is something very revealing about the image and one of you has hit the nail on the head.

The shoulders.....

1. Pure white, they’re not blown out at all. 

2. The roll off is very smooth. Everything looks smooth. 

The GH5S’s update, I’m convinced, is along the lines of improved dynamic range, better highlight roll off, better encoding (there’s no macro blocking in those whiter shades whatsoever). 

All of Luke’s shots are in anamorphic - that might just be his designated feature demonstration. 

The above all points to RAW - but it can’t be that surely? That’s just a bit far fetched. 

I’d say Dual ISO is the other candidate. 

These are the only things that would affect  better lowlight, in terms of an “update”. 

25 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The shoulders.....

1. Pure white, they’re not blown out at all. 

2. The roll off is very smooth. Everything looks smooth. 

The GH5S’s update, I’m convinced, is along the lines of improved dynamic range, better highlight roll off, better encoding (there’s no macro blocking in those whiter shades whatsoever). 

All of Luke’s shots are in anamorphic - that might just be his designated feature demonstration. 

The above all points to RAW - but it can’t be that surely? That’s just a bit far fetched. 

I’d say Dual ISO is the other candidate. 

These are the only things that would affect  better lowlight, in terms of an “update”. 

1. huh? they're 95 so are not blown out, correct.

2. I'd say the opposite, that there are pretty heavy shadows from strong lights at a steep enough angle to not get in the eye sockets or direct front. Increases contrast on face makes it look more interesting. Maybe a black board in front of his face to absorb a bit?

3. You didn't number this but the GH5 does not macro block in the whiter shades whatsoever. 

Trying to repeat it with Vlog on the GH5 is a bit average but I think my HLG version looks the same except without the pretty lens. 

What is nice about the image is that it does not look oversharpened and the noise structure is nice. This points either to RAW or much better in camera processing options. The DOF is very thin, but without the lens specs and distance from subject is dificult to say if its a bigger sensor, dispite the f number. Don't like the colors though. Too red/orange. It might be the LUT. The dynamic range looks nice also and very good noise structure. 

i dont shoot anamorphic but to my eye the DOF is not M43.  I shoot 35mm lens on a speedbooster all the time, at f2.  It looks like this. Several people said it was raw, a few said it was a bigger sensor, but I think only one person said it was the sensor from the eva1 with a 4/3 mount.   So that's my guess. And also: this is fun! It's like a whodunnit, but nerdier :D

I was trying to have some fun with the filename : 5a2d83138fdae_CrazyGrade.jpg.583bf8d5fe25b8a0f3936335a1b5e286.jpg

That clearly looks like hexadecimal to me ... i tried converting the hexadecimal parts to ASCII... just gibberish. Then i thought they could be hexadecimal color codes, but  the length doesn't match up (group of 6)

Damn, what a tease :grimace:

If the EVA1 sensor thing is true, or if the camera is significantly upgraded from the GH5 it will feel like a bit of a kick in the teeth after spending a significant amount on the GH5 recently.

I'm all for putting the best tech possible out there, but unlike Sony there was no indication Panasonic would release another model so soon after the GH5. I'm hoping for a firmware update but... Maybe it's time to stop visiting these forums and just be happy with what I've got..

@Neumann Films just told us that he had probably used @Sage GH5 alexa lut. It obviously wouldn't make any sense to use it with another sensor I guess. Or a damn close one maybe.

Raw recording sounds more likely, it has been around with magic lantern and blackmagic for a while now and unleashing  the full power of the GH5 sensor would make a lot of sense and wouldn't insult the GH5 userbase. But I don't know how they could do it though so really not convinced of my theory...