Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

6 minutes ago, zilkerfilms said:

Frankly speaking if you post a video ostensibly with the intent of helping others evaluate the capabilities of a camera and yet don't offer at least the basic settings/info of the camera/lens/post process, you're not doing anyone any favors.

Who's posting a video?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 30/8/2017 at 4:15 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Firmware 2.0 for the Panasonic GH5 has been officially announced, and will be available for download at the end of September 2017.

Please Andrew, if you can talk to panasonic people, ask for an "anamorphic Ibis mode" (where there is no roll axis movement of the sensor) because it is so bad for the vertical alignement of the scopes.

11 hours ago, NewFilmMaker said:

The anamorphic mode is in 4:3, with a 1.5x lenses, it will come out as 2:1 , and if I am trying to de-squeeze it in to 2.39:1 or 2.66:1 , it means I need to crop the footage and it is going to lose resolution, am I right or wrong?

You are right. Buy 2x lenses.

1 hour ago, Grimor said:

Please Andrew, if you can talk to panasonic people, ask for an "anamorphic Ibis mode" (where there is no roll axis movement of the sensor) because it is so bad for the vertical alignement of the scopes.

Hadn't thought of that, good point!

15 minutes ago, Christopher Taylor said:

just wondering: I noticed you said that 95 MB/s cards aren't quite good enough, and we should invest in 300MB/s cards... I've seen some lexar 150MB/s cards, has anyone tested those? Is the 300MB/s an absolute necessity to get everything working right?

sdxc-1000x-pro-uhs-ii-64go-class-10-84.jpg

Forget about those lexar card.

One like that always freeze my G85 at 4K.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Hadn't thought of that, good point!

1 hour ago, Christopher Taylor said:

just wondering: I noticed you said that 95 MB/s cards aren't quite good enough, and we should invest in 300MB/s cards... I've seen some lexar 150MB/s cards, has anyone tested those? Is the 300MB/s an absolute necessity to get everything working right?

[..]

Wouldn't go with the Lexar either (especially with the out of business and resulting overtake and everything). Check here if you want to get an idea of what you're up against:

The big flashy MB/a number that's plastered on cards and their packaging isn't what need to pay attention to. That number is just the peak transfer rate, what the card is capable of hitting for a few seconds under the right conditions. It's relevant to shooting bursts of photos, but not video.

For video you need to look for the minimum sustained write speed. This is the speed that the card can write at continuously, without stopping or slowing down. This number needs to be at least a smidge higher than your camera's bitrates. Unfortunately, this spec isn't as sexy as the peak write speed, so nobody uses it for marketing, and it's usually not easy to find. 

This is where the various speed class ratings come in. Class 2 would do 2MB/s continuously, Class 6 would do 6MB/s, etc. That topped out at Class 10 I believe, then they switched to the U rating... U1 is supposed to be able to write at least 10MB/s continuously, and U3 30MB/s. Then the next system is the new V rating (for video). V60 does 60MB/s, V90 does 90MB/s.

Let me be the party pooper…

Vlog ALL-I is massively flawed!

At least if I go be the files Andrew made available (@Andrew, thanks for sharing).
I noticed dancing spots in the flank of the darker horse. This is usually seen in the darker areas of footage, due to compression algorithms that shouldn’t be there in the first place (My opinion. No change you will ever see this on phenomenon a BM camera. It comes standard with the GH4 …and now GH5)…and we are looking at ALL-I no, with compression methods better than ProRess according to Mat Frazer.

The problem with these noise clouds is that they do not respect the boundaries the live in. Intensity and shape changes per frame. See in the pictures below.

Vlog_GH5_Noiseclouds_1.thumb.jpg.09b16a1d99b0257922ff07e4c35aa591.jpg

Vlog_GH5_Noiseclouds_2.thumb.jpg.7a6c6764549d5fa8dbdb61b3cf8873d0.jpg

And then I noticed something different. Horizontal stripes

Vlog_GH5_1filter.thumb.jpg.452fbb5b236543320519fe477fe861ae.jpg

We are not talking about a little bit of compression here we are talking about a massive amount of compression, mimicking some kind of interlace.

Then checked a ‘standard color’ example with one extreme node, no “interlace”, just looked fine… Actually pretty good!

standard_GH5_1filter.thumb.jpg.51c705139fcffcd25af1054c1c715b84.jpg

Back to the standard horses with 2 nodes applied, to make it even more extreme and visible. Notice how the red parts follow the direction of the tail (as it should).

standard_GH5_2filters.thumb.jpg.12e1f4d40556b6e9b597cb781be98d1a.jpg

And the Vlog version with it’s horizontal stripes.

Vlog_GH5_2filters.thumb.jpg.9539b6623ed7517aae875521cd4fbbc7.jpg

This btw what footage of the BMPCC looks like, under the same treatment. See how you don’t see huge blocks of compression as we can see in the GH5 foortage? In all fairness it's Raw, but ProRess HQ 422 looks just as fine.

bmpcc_2filters.thumb.jpg.dc6455b97026c8db1cf12ee0ca6cc829.jpg

All screencaps were taken at 100%

My advice if you didn’t buy a GH5 yet, but do want one …don’t buy the VLog upgrade. For anyone that already did buy a GH5 and the Vlog upgrade …file a bug report as this has to be a bug. That or some developer code was added by accident instead of the finished product. If it turns out that this is the finished code and you need Vlog like footage …there are plenty of other camera options out there.

2 hours ago, bunk said:

Let me be the party pooper…

Vlog ALL-I is massively flawed!

At least if I go be the files Andrew made available (@Andrew, thanks for sharing).
I noticed dancing spots in the flank of the darker horse. This is usually seen in the darker areas of footage, due to compression algorithms that shouldn’t be there in the first place (My opinion. No change you will ever see this on phenomenon a BM camera. It comes standard with the GH4 …and now GH5)…and we are looking at ALL-I no, with compression methods better than ProRess according to Mat Frazer.

The problem with these noise clouds is that they do not respect the boundaries the live in. Intensity and shape changes per frame. See in the pictures below.

All screencaps were taken at 100%

My advice if you didn’t buy a GH5 yet, but do want one …don’t buy the VLog upgrade. For anyone that already did buy a GH5 and the Vlog upgrade …file a bug report as this has to be a bug. That or some developer code was added by accident instead of the finished product. If it turns out that this is the finished code and you need Vlog like footage …there are plenty of other camera options out there.

Was that 10bit all-i? If no, its ok

24 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Was that 10bit all-i? If no, its ok

From the article:

"Download pre-production V2.0 sample clips

Panasonic USA have allowed me to share some original ALL-I files shot with the pre-production firmware V2.0 on my GH5 (4K, 400Mbit/s, 10bit 4:2:2)."

44 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

All you have shown is that the GH5 is unsuitable for EXTREME GREEN backgrounds and SHIT looking images.

Anyone can break a file.

I can break the Alexa's files!

I never ran into these issues with the GH5 with my own graded clips so far(which can be quite extreme), but quite regularly with the GH4. 

@bunk
Can you try the extreme node on the GH5 HLG footage as well?
Should be way better, it seems to make use of the full range by still providing maximum dynamic range. Really interested in this one tbh.

19 minutes ago, deezid said:

I never ran into these issues with the GH5 with my own graded clips so far(which can be quite extreme), but quite regularly with the GH4. 

@bunk
Should be way better, it seems to make use of the full range by still providing maximum dynamic range. Really interested in this one tbh.

I thought trying to grade HLG was supposed to be a nightmare.At least, that's what CRFTSHO said.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

All you have shown is that the GH5 is unsuitable for EXTREME GREEN backgrounds and SHIT looking images.

You shouldn't be to hard on yourself.

2 hours ago, deezid said:

Hard to judge on a non HLG monitor ...but at first glance on a non HLG monitor it seems to have a similar problem as Vlog.

HLG2_GH5_nofilter2.jpg.336fc5b1396de014669d965c6fdd303b.jpg

HLG2_GH5_nofilter.thumb.jpg.9696505bd77d41aa83a25184dd4320c8.jpg

HLG2_GH5_1filter.thumb.jpg.72840da21bc14509c2b4a2af4e96e8ec.jpg

HLG2_GH5_2filters.thumb.jpg.6b296a9ef201e1744c2c32364f988879.jpg

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I thought trying to grade HLG was supposed to be a nightmare.At least, that's what CRFTSHO said.

It's indeed very hard to do as it doesn't react as you expect. And you end up with dull highlights. Probably easier on a HLG monitor