Jump to content

Davinci resolve 14


Recommended Posts

Hey,

This update(audio, plugins and stabilizer improvement) is great and all. But I am really bummed out about the price drop from $999 to $299 for Resolve Studio version. I mean the resale value just dropped massively. I own 2 davinci dongles, and this hurts my wallet big time! This business is hardcore. 70% price drop over one night, I feel kinda f##**d by BM at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This wording in their press:

"Also another big issue in the film and television industry is audio. For years we have been sending audio off to people in the music industry to do our audio post production. Then we have to wait for them to finish and import the finished audio file back into our edit. It's very slow and cumbersome"

Is pissing off a few audio people I know :)

EDIT: On the great new audio side, the software finally added support for MP3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Hey,

This update(audio, plugins and stabilizer improvement) is great and all. But I am really bummed out about the price drop from $999 to $299 for Resolve Studio version. I mean the resale value just dropped massively. I own 2 davinci dongles, and this hurts my wallet big time! This business is hardcore. 70% price drop over one night, I feel kinda f##**d by BM at this point. 

It's been going on with all forms of camera tech for a while. Nature of the beast, unfortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Hey,

This update(audio, plugins and stabilizer improvement) is great and all. But I am really bummed out about the price drop from $999 to $299 for Resolve Studio version. I mean the resale value just dropped massively. I own 2 davinci dongles, and this hurts my wallet big time! This business is hardcore. 70% price drop over one night, I feel kinda f##**d by BM at this point. 

Bummed?! This is amazing news for us poor people. My adobe student version I got together with a friend who was in college a year ago ended and she does not want to continue sharing as she has gone into script supervising. So me saving 600 a year on a suite plan. Great time to head into a fully DaVinci workflow!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a decent update but still much slower than the latest release of PP CC and FCPX (can't play C300 II or 1DX II 4K material in real-time, which both PP CC and FCPX can do). Also doesn't load GH5 video track (10-bit). They're getting closer- someday we'll have another viable option beyond PP CC and FCPX. It's still great for coloring and effects, but can't do basic editing yet on par with PP CC and FCPX (4K).

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I installed v14 studio beta and after having a quick play with DR's implementation of  Aces 1.03 cct I am in love.   And with a list of new features and updates so long, it will take months just to explore them vs 12.5 studio. And thats not even counting the Fairlight tab.  Wow.  As for price, how long before Adobe  pays us a monthly fee to install their apps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jcs said:

It's a decent update but still much slower than the latest release of PP CC and FCPX (can't play C300 II or 1DX II 4K material in real-time, which both PP CC and FCPX can do). Also doesn't load GH5 video track (10-bit). They're getting closer- someday we'll have another viable option beyond PP CC and FCPX. It's still great for coloring and effects, but can't do basic editing yet on par with PP CC and FCPX (4K).

Really?  I just tried a 24p true 4k timeline with 4k 1dc, 4k fs700 , and  f35 clips scaled to 4k on the fly.  All real time.  Windows, single gpu with 8gb vram, 16gb ram, i7 5820. Very...mediocre..... But pcie raid card with a couple ssd's in raid 0 might explain?  From what I remember your system should walk circles around mine.  Or is it just the files from Geoff Boyles favorite camera?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried it out:

The Good:   I can add dissolves to my A7s footage and it doesn't turn to a stuttering mess like 12 did.  Honestly, I like Resolve's edit window & it seems like it might be a contender.

The Bad:   Audio plays back in preview window.   Disappears & reappears occasionally in timeline.   Ok, let's get that fixed, shall we?   Doesn't matter the source, video files, wav files, nothing.    Obviously a bug.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OzNimbus said:

Just tried it out:

The Good:   I can add dissolves to my A7s footage and it doesn't turn to a stuttering mess like 12 did.  Honestly, I like Resolve's edit window & it seems like it might be a contender.

The Bad:   Audio plays back in preview window.   Disappears & reappears occasionally in timeline.   Ok, let's get that fixed, shall we?   Doesn't matter the source, video files, wav files, nothing.    Obviously a bug.    

Yeah I have the same bug! I'm loving everything else I'm seeing, but they need to fix that ASAP. Judging by forums it's a widespread problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Well yeah sure, but I value my gear at its resale value as I renew my gear often. My second dongle is only a month old ffs.

These days, if you can't justify your purchase within 8-12 months, you'd be hard-pressed to get a recommendation from me to buy something. Gear, software, whatever. 

If you can't make your money back on the purchase price relatively quickly, then it's not worth buying.

Alternately, if you're happy to just throw money at something you want, that's fine too. But then you buy it at the price you buy it, and have enough money to justify the purchase.

Assessing re-sale value is a good idea with gear, but your purchase decision shouldn't be made mostly on resale value. If you can't justify a piece of equipment's worth off your own work, then it becomes a struggle to justify the purchase IMO.

2 hours ago, jcs said:

IThey're getting closer- someday we'll have another viable option beyond PP CC and FCPX. 

There's always Avid. I would call that a more than viable alternative, and many would call it a first option with PP/FCX the 'alternatives'

By the way, Avid just released a free version of Media Composer.....,

56 minutes ago, OzNimbus said:

Obviously a bug.    

Well, it is still in beta.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...