Panasonic G7 or Sony a6300 for feature film

Micah Mahaffey

Not sure if this has been asked here before, but I am currently looking for cameras under $1000 to shoot a feature film on in 4k. The reason for such a cheap camera is I know my skill set, and I'm sure either can yield cinematic results once I get my hands on them. But, which one is better? And why? I'm either going to buy a used a6300 or a new g7. I'm just curious if there's anything about the g7 that makes it better than the a6300''s dynamic range, low light, and sensor size. I plan on using either with pro color so color isn't a huge problem. 

Just which one would you personally believe to be better suited for a feature film and why? Thanks! :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For narrative probably a6300 unless it is an action film the the RS would kill it.

I recently got the g7 and a6500.  For my run and gun I am using the lowly g7.  It is delivering some impressive results to me despite less DR.  I am using it over a6500 because for most of my real estate stuff I do not need af-c and use the manual mode which has touch to focus af-s that is blazing fast.  A6500 doesn't have this! Only full MF and af-c which doesn't work with adapted lenses (af- motor constantly engaged even if nothing is changing... Sure way to burn something out!)

That being said, for low light urban the slog2 is great and I'm liking the images so far.  I also think with more work the color from Sony can be shaped better. The g7 is useable as well though!

Cost wise the g7 is just too good of a deal to pass up if you already have m43 lenses.  The 4k downscaled to 1080p is very competitive for $500! Pixel peeping it will lose to a6500 but if you are watching a clip on YouTube you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless in extreme shots.

It really depends on your project and the things you already have, do you have m43 lenses? Canon, Nikon? Sony? A monitor is helpful avoiding overheating on a6300. What are you lighting with or is it available light. With lights both cameras will shine, with available light the 6300 is useable up to 6400 iso and more dynamic range.  Wide angle is also a thing to consider, are you going to be in narrow places where you need a 24mm super35 angle of view or wider? Then adapted lenses with a speedbooster type adapter is the most economical route and the sony gives you wider easily. Also gets you easier shallow depth of field. Handheld is better on the Panasonic with less rolling shutter. Both can be small enough to "steal" shots you don't have permission to do. I haven't used the g7 but the gh4 can burn highlights faster. I might be "old school" but for narrative feature you shouldn't even consider autofocus unless maybe on gimbal or steadycam type shots, what looks good on the web looks really "robotic" on the big screen and is a distracting issue when you want people to follow a story. Good luck and plan ahead a lot, that is more important than the camera you use.

Hey,

You might want to read this... http://www.luczenczyncinematography.com/single-post/2016/08/12/Shooting-a-Short-Film-on-the-Sony-A6300

The thing was overheating and that is to me....a deal breaker for narrative shoots, imagine how ridiculous it would to stop your shoot and tell the cast that you have to take a break to let the camera "cool down"!!!

Shame, I really wanted to go with Sony too!

PS. Its not the only story I have read where the thing has been used on a real production.

I ended up buying a used a6300 for $670 as it was such a great price. The extra dynamic range, larger sensor and low light is what made the difference worth it. I'm not worried about skin tone's as I plan on using Eos HD Pro Color with the Sony and that should solve that issue.

Just wanted to say thank you everyone for your input!!! I seriously appreciate it! I was about to get a G7 but just needed that little extra that the Sony was offering. 

Keep in mind rolling shutter can be an issue even outside of action and handheld. If your vision for the film involves quick pans, complex camera moves, or any objects that might move quickly through frame (cars, trains, a running person, etc) it'll be a noticable problem. Imagine something like Boogie Nights or Shaun of the Dead with huge rolling shutter skew. It would ruin half the movie.

Overheating can be a real thorn too. When you need to wrap a location because they need you out at a certain time, but you can't get the shots you need because the camera has a flashing temperature warning, you might wish you'd forgone the better DR in favor of a camera that would run steadily through the day without hickups. Or when you're on your fifth take of a Ronin shot, everything's finally going perfect, and then your camera ruins the take? Your operator is going to be pissed, and rightly so.

You'd better have an AC on set with an organized charging station too, or batteries are going to be an issue. A6300 burns through them like a mother. You either buy 3-4 and keep them charging, or buy 8-10 and make damn sure they're 100% before you come to set. Even then, you should bring two wall chargers. 

To me, Panasonic is just less hassle. Plus cheaper, so you can spend more on lights, lenses, art, locations, crew, and talent. 

To be fair even with DSLR I always just use Sony np-f batteries externally with them.  A6300 just needs extra work to maintain it's cool from what I've read - external everything and stick a cooling pad behind the monitor!  Of course if you are working on a hot set then all bets are off.  

I agree that it is annoying, but for all of us low budgeters just think of all the low budget things we do to make things work... 

I should test and shoot more before saying anything but I'm not finding the skin tones from a6500 to be horrendous at all if you tweak the color settings and grade with luts.  

Feature on such a camera is a stretch for me. I would be curious.

I think Peter Greengrass uses a6300 with the 18-105 for the most intense Bourne moments, and when it is really cold on set. I heard he found the touch screen implementation of the a6500 too gimmicky for real world use, still he likes how the screen dims, it has a certain old school film quality, when you weren't sure what you got before all these film procedures.

On 22 de enero de 2017 at 4:42 AM, Micah Mahaffey said:

I ended up buying a used a6300 for $670 as it was such a great price. The extra dynamic range, larger sensor and low light is what made the difference worth it. I'm not worried about skin tone's as I plan on using Eos HD Pro Color with the Sony and that should solve that issue.

Just wanted to say thank you everyone for your input!!! I seriously appreciate it! I was about to get a G7 but just needed that little extra that the Sony was offering. 

I wish you luck, I learned very early than on set reliability is the most important, you are going to face so many issues every day, I hope you already have a good team to support you, and it will be a very good idea to get a B camera, probably a friend can borrow you one, as Mckinise said before, on set everything could fall apart but not the camera, you cannot imagine the anxiety when the camera stop recording and everybody is looking at you asking what is going on…..I was lucky, my camera comeback after three reset!!!!