Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Not sure about tap to focus, maybe I never found that feature on the GH4 or 5. For me I tap the auto focus box, drag it a bit, and release. It focusses on where you drop the AF box and BLAMMO it hits focus every time. If there was a single tap, rather than the drag and drop type of thing I do, I'd be interested to know about it. 

 

9 hours ago, shooter said:

No single tap? I think it is possible. A friend of mine said it is the way he does. He has several Panasonic units. Not yet the GH5. 

If it is always accurate, it is very good. No hunting?

I only saw Max tested but the fast settings. With bad hunting.

 

Here is an example.

Seems from Canon's mobile app. Panasonic has also one from their own. But this can obviously be done from camera LCD:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This person contacted blackmagic about resolve not supporting gh5 10bit files and got this reply:

"You are correct, the 10 bit files recorded by the GH5 are not supported in the free release of Resolve.
As such you would require the Studio release in order to be able to import and work with these files.
It is worth noting that this is NOT a BUG IN THE APPLICATION.
I will mark this ticket as a feature request for the attention of the development team.
I cannot comment on the possibility of future features or give a timescale for the development of such features or updates.
In the mean time I would RECOMMEND TRANSCODING your files to a supported format such as ProRes or DNxHD."
(Technical Support of Blackmagic Design).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shooter said:

Did you see that test? Max tested the fast settings. There's hunting. What about with the slow settings? Also hunting? Tap to focus in manual?

Use 1-area AF if you want the best results. Period. In my tests I did not activate the custom AF settings and got very little hunting when I did the 'now you see the lens, now you don't' test. The same test that was a total failure for Max. IMO, for most uses, there's no need to use the custome speed and sensitivity, but if you insist, watch this video where he does adjust it but still gets better results than Max, because he used 1-area. Many subjects will also do fine when using the AF lock, which will totally eliminate hunting. Then there's MF, but nobody wants to discuss that. ;) I just don't know what else to say on this topic, I'm worn out.

 

11 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Not sure about tap to focus, maybe I never found that feature on the GH4 or 5. For me I tap the auto focus box, drag it a bit, and release. It focusses on where you drop the AF box and BLAMMO it hits focus every time. If there was a single tap, rather than the drag and drop type of thing I do, I'd be interested to know about it. 

Orangenz, unless I'm misunderstanding you, if you're using 1-area AF, you should be able to just tap anywhere on the LCD and get the camera to focus where you finger lands. It simply moves the AF box to the new area, but does it instantly. If you then hit the joy stick, it will return to the central area focus point.

10 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Ohh, got you now. I use manual focus and drag and drop with the AF box. The touch thing works in AFC mode. Never used it. Maybe I should? AF tends to pulse as it finds focus (dfd) so don't use it much sorry.

On something else:
Panasonic Battery 3:08 to fully charge with stock charger. 2:23:57 recording time. 
Kastar Battery 00:58:57 recording time

Ah, so even my 4 hour estimate was too high. Good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Here is an example.

Seems from Canon's mobile app. Panasonic has also one from their own. But this can obviously be done from camera LCD:

I don't understand his point. He thinks the autofocus isn't worth $2000 and the example he talks about is focussing on the image on the wall behind him. No AF in the world knows your thoughts to change to the background then to you for no reason at all. Mobile app is great tool, love it. Wish was higher resolution. 

8 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, unless I'm misunderstanding you, if you're using 1-area AF, you should be able to just tap anywhere on the LCD and get the camera to focus where you finger lands. It simply moves the AF box to the new area, but does it instantly. If you then hit the joy stick, it will return to the central area focus point.

In AFC mode. I'm always in manual mode so never used it. In manual mode you have to drag the 1 area a little bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Ah, so even my 4 hour estimate was too high. Good to know.

Final battery test results under constant record 4k 10bit with screen open and on.

Panasonic battery (tested twice) 2:23:57 and 2:18:23.
Kastar batteries (tested once each) 0:58:57 and 1:16:23
Power2000 batteries (three+ years old, one failed) 1:24:59 

Charging Panasonic battery: 3:08+ to oem panasonic charge. 2:07 to lvsun charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, do you see any difference in the run time of the battery when it's been charged on the OEM charger vs the Ivsun?

They both indicate full once you take a charged battery and put it on the other charger. For the pana battery, one test was after charge on each charger. No significant difference, or to having the screen off for 20 min or so. I'm tempted to get another couple of brands to test but I also think I'll have to end up with panasonics at 5 times the price. 

Have been trying the afc touch to focus. It's so smooth??!! No dfd bump at each end?! Will play with this more :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I believe you'll get slightly less time using the EVF. My preference with these cameras always leans toward the EVF for a variety of reasons, sun being the big one. Using reading glasses with the LCD also tends to be a PIA for me. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 2 reviews from iPhonedo and Newshooter say the AF is unusable, with plenty of exemples in multiple situations (unlike a few eoshd forum folks who tried to show otherwise in their poor test trying to convince themselves their 2000$ camera focus well). They tried all the AF settings too. 

Just received mine and first tries are quite bad. Will use it for my trip anyway and return it if AF really suck that much and get the next Sony. I prefer to have more work for colors in post, that I can fix, than the shitiest AF that I can't fix no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

They both indicate full once you take a charged battery and put it on the other charger. For the pana battery, one test was after charge on each charger. No significant difference, or to having the screen off for 20 min or so. I'm tempted to get another couple of brands to test but I also think I'll have to end up with panasonics at 5 times the price. 

Have been trying the afc touch to focus. It's so smooth??!! No dfd bump at each end?! Will play with this more :)

I'm contemplating the Atomos Power Staion for when I have it on rails and tripod with external recorder...the Shogun also devours batteries, and then I will have 2 extra GH 4 batteries for walking around...power consumption with the GH5 is definitely a step up over the 4 to consider as part of a complete system...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I must admit I had to go to the old innerweb to remember what the Hell was a "Atomos Power Station". First product I ever seen that has no specs to offer on it's website! Interesting. I guess you are Suppose to guess how much more time you have with it for the amazing low price of??

13 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

This person contacted blackmagic about resolve not supporting gh5 10bit files and got this reply:

"You are correct, the 10 bit files recorded by the GH5 are not supported in the free release of Resolve.
As such you would require the Studio release in order to be able to import and work with these files.
It is worth noting that this is NOT a BUG IN THE APPLICATION.
I will mark this ticket as a feature request for the attention of the development team.
I cannot comment on the possibility of future features or give a timescale for the development of such features or updates.
In the mean time I would RECOMMEND TRANSCODING your files to a supported format such as ProRes or DNxHD."
(Technical Support of Blackmagic Design).

God I love railroad tracks! They looked awesome in the last part of the video. But Was that a Log or the final grade?? I know you didn't shoot it.

And I am not surprised about the Free Resolve. They only do updates on it every year or so compared to the Real one you buy! But it is what I use, So...glad I didn't buy a GH5 then! Hell, I might to have...had...to...buy...a...Apple!! Jesus, I felt almost ill for a second or two! You know a Resolve Dongle and a Apple Dongle, sort of sounds well, obscene!  :frown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I must admit I had to go to the old innerweb to remember what the Hell was a "Atomos Power Station". First product I ever seen that has no specs to offer on it's website! Interesting. I guess you are Suppose to guess how much more time you have with it for the amazing low price of??

God I love railroad tracks! They looked awesome in the last part of the video. But Was that a Log or the final grade?? I know you didn't shoot it.

And I am not surprised about the Free Resolve. They only do updates on it every year or so compared to the Real one you buy! But it is what I use, So...glad I didn't buy a GH5 then! Hell, I might to have...had...to...buy...a...Apple!! Jesus, I felt almost ill for a second or two! You know a Resolve Dongle and a Apple Dongle, sort of sounds well, obscene!  :frown:

I imagine there's a lot of people who wanted to grade the 10bit files in Resolve. I wonder if the new codec in the summer release will play nicer with these programs. Hopefully it will be early summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I went to Vimeo and I can see he edited all of it looks like. I thought the begining was a little too light, bright, overexposed, whatever you want to call it. But it was his grade not mine. SO he is happy and I am not.  But I did like it overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I don't understand his point. He thinks the autofocus isn't worth $2000 and the example he talks about is focussing on the image on the wall behind him. No AF in the world knows your thoughts to change to the background then to you for no reason at all. Mobile app is great tool, love it. Wish was higher resolution. 

In AFC mode. I'm always in manual mode so never used it. In manual mode you have to drag the 1 area a little bit. 

Man, you need to test it. Pretty useful. Who cares for full AF after then? A machine can't beat the man. That's the whole point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Man, you need to test it. Pretty useful. Who cares for full AF after then? A machine can't beat the man. That's the whole point.

Will try it in an Easter shoot tomorrow. But even the EM1 has same thing. Main thing I need is the monitor. 4k focus hard! Usual workflow is press to AF then finetune manually. But really, all I care about is that vlog is just so special. I tried to work with it on the GH4 and it was hard work. The image wasn't quite robust for my needs and it never was quite right. This looks pretty in seconds. So love it! Will have to go back and rewatch Luke's grading tutorials now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

 

And I am not surprised about the Free Resolve. They only do updates on it every year or so compared to the Real one you buy! But it is what I use, So...glad I didn't buy a GH5 then! Hell, I might to have...had...to...buy...a...Apple!! Jesus, I felt almost ill for a second or two! You know a Resolve Dongle and a Apple Dongle, sort of sounds well, obscene!  :frown:

What is obscene about it. You buy the dongle once and you got a NLE/color suite for life. As for Adobe you will keep paying and paying. (if you only buy adobe premiere montly it is 24€ per month, so after 3,5 years you are at the same pricepoint of a resolve dongle. Heck you even get one free if you buy one of their camera's.)  I really love this blackmagic approach!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

Will try it in an Easter shoot tomorrow. But even the EM1 has same thing. Main thing I need is the monitor. 4k focus hard! Usual workflow is press to AF then finetune manually. But really, all I care about is that vlog is just so special. I tried to work with it on the GH4 and it was hard work. The image wasn't quite robust for my needs and it never was quite right. This looks pretty in seconds. So love it!

 

Will look forward to follow up your testing! Interesting to follow it under distinct circumstances such as low light and poor contrast setup, obviously. Without hunting, tap-to-focus can shut up the FUD spread a bit all over internet against one of the most lovely pieces of hardware and cameras ever produced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I must admit I had to go to the old innerweb to remember what the Hell was a "Atomos Power Station". First product I ever seen that has no specs to offer on it's website! Interesting. I guess you are Suppose to guess how much more time you have with it for the amazing low price of??

Their batteries are rated at 5200Ah...GH4/5 batteries are 1860Ah...theoretically about 5 times + the power in the 2 battery pack Atomos...so the PowerStation is a nice sollution if you're not walking around with the camera...plus the batteries are hot swappable...and I already own a bunch of extra Sony batteries for my Shogun & Blade...as these cameras up the bit rate and processing game, so follows the power needs....the Shogun, which I record to, hogs power!!!...but you get Prores...so it's all good!....a handy solution for my personal needs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...