Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Auto. In MF you can't get that kind of error unless the subject distance changes...assuming you focused accurately in the first place.

I've found tap to focus to be very accurate.

With no introduction of any hunting, Ken?

I haven't us

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

With no introduction of any hunting, Ken?

Emanuel,I haven't used it that much, but I'd have to believe that you'd experience the same amount of hunting you would with ordinary CAF. I see no reason it would be different since the camera will always be looking within the selected box for things to focus on. For so much of this, AF lock is your friend. :) 

24 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Emanuel,I haven't used it that much, but I'd have to believe that you'd experience the same amount of hunting you would with ordinary CAF. I see no reason it would be different since the camera will always be looking within the selected box for things to focus on. For so much of this, AF lock is your friend. :) 

Indeed. My question comes from the MY's test based on the fastest settings prone to fail:

I guess slower settings can only help to prevent any hunting.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Have you seen Zed ProMedia's review that I posted this morning? I believe he says to expect around 1-1/2 hours from one battery. Do you think that's accurate?

Trying the stress test now. I think about an hour actually recording with 5 to 10 minutes goofing off at the start. Will confirm in a few minutes.

9 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Does the camera "see" these batteries when you use them?

The battery charge indicator works pretty accurately, yes.

10 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Sorry....can you clarify....did you buy a second charger because the GH5 charger is too slow, and if so, do you mind sharing a link to what you bought....also do you know per chance whether the stock GH4 & GH5 chargers are identical....I believe the batteries are...

I put the link in the other thread about tips. Let me find it...

BATTERY CHARGER: the GH5 charger is 0.65A and takes a day to charge one battery so trying to charge 5 is impossible. A charger like https://goo.gl/EM1NyP charges 2 batteries at up to 2A each (3x faster each). It also charge checks very quickly in a matter of seconds, even when not connected to mains. It was a couple of dollars less on sale. 

I don't have my GH4 charger. It seemed to charge faster but maybe I just didn't get the opportunity to use it much on more than one battery. Ever! The GH4 can go forever. Yes, I got the dual charger as the GH5 stock charger is WAY too slow. Impossibly slow if you (now) have to charge 5 batteries.

Also have one of these on the way https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMWAC8-DMW-DCC12-DMW-AC8-DMW-DCC12-DC-Coupler-AC-Power-travel-Adapter-for-Panasonic-Lumix/32629658872.html 

28 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Trying the stress test now. I think about an hour actually recording with 5 to 10 minutes goofing off at the start. Will confirm in a few minutes.

Yup. 5-10 minutes in menus, one 53.9GB file of 10bit vlog, 51:33 duration. LED screen on. Don't think any power saving things are turned on.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

BATTERY CHARGER: the GH5 charger is 0.65A and takes a day to charge one battery so trying to charge 5 is impossible. A charger like https://goo.gl/EM1NyP charges 2 batteries at up to 2A each (3x faster each). It also charge checks very quickly in a matter of seconds, even when not connected to mains. It was a couple of dollars less on sale. 

I don't have my GH4 charger. It seemed to charge faster but maybe I just didn't get the opportunity to use it much on more than one battery. Ever! The GH4 can go forever. Yes, I got the dual charger as the GH5 stock charger is WAY too slow. Impossibly slow if you (now) have to charge 5 batteries.

Also have one of these on the way https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMWAC8-DMW-DCC12-DMW-AC8-DMW-DCC12-DC-Coupler-AC-Power-travel-Adapter-for-Panasonic-Lumix/32629658872.html 

Sorry....I should have clarified my question...I meant on aftermarket batteries...the GH2 never showed 3rd Party batteries in the battery indicator and with the Gh4, like you said....who needs spare batteries!

28 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Orangenz, I bolded out your comment only because some will actually believe it takes all day to charge the battery. In reality I think it takes about 4 hours. Not exactly quick for sure, but not quite all day. The camera's had enough bad press with the AF, let's leave it at that. ;)

"GH5 vs A6500 - IBIS, Lowlight, 4K, Dynamic Range, & Rolling Shutter COMPARED"

Stabilization on the gh5 is better. A6500 seems slightly better dynamic range than Cine-D 10bit, but I wonder if v-log will give it the extra 2 stops some are touting. RS is terrible on a6500 but that's par for the course.

It seemed to me when he was exposing for highlights, looking at the split screen, the GH5 did better at retaining details in those highlights as evidenced by the white building in the background. Low light seemed fairly close up to about ISO3200. After that the Sony pulled away.

7 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Orangenz, I bolded out your comment only because some will actually believe it takes all day to charge the battery. In reality I think it takes about 4 hours. Not exactly quick for sure, but not quite all day. The camera's had enough bad press with the AF, let's leave it at that. ;)

Will do a round of proper testing. It certainly seemed a lot longer than 4 hours. But here's the thing, I come home and have 4 hours available before sleep. So can I get 5 batteries charging in that time? I was short on two fronts. A little too slow on the charger, and too many batteries for single charger. Now I have 3 slots available :D 

10 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Sorry....I should have clarified my question...I meant on aftermarket batteries...the GH2 never showed 3rd Party batteries in the battery indicator and with the Gh4, like you said....who needs spare batteries!

Yes, the indicator works with them. I just noticed though that the AM battery still had 40% charge after being declared empty so I think I'll shutup for a bit until I've done some better comparison tests. 

Maybe it's learning how much power is in a battery? The first few times I used it one bar would go after 20 min. (iphonedo said the same thing). But just recording then, no bars went until after one hour. Then at about 1hr 8min the monitor turned off and I couldn't get it going again (while still recording). 30 minutes later the monitor started again as I opened the screen (I had done that before and nothing happened). So... don't know what I did there to turn the screen off. Any ideas? This run I started the camera recording on the new battery without any on time before hand. The Panasonic battery lasted 2:23:57 constant recording (but monitor had not been on the whole time) over the two cards for 5 files. I emptied each card as it filled and popped it back in, live, without problems. Nice bright red flashing light over the card that is recording so no mistakes. The video clips join without any video breaks at all but there is 28 frames of missing audio (about a second) on the end of every clip so the spanning is not seemless for audio. Incidentally, this second of quiet seems to be on every shot I've taken in different formats. 

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed. My question comes from the MY's test based on the fastest settings prone to fail:

I guess slower settings can only help to prevent any hunting.

Any GH5 owner to test it please? 

4 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Test what? People have tested it to oblivion already, just look back a few pages here. Neistat just did his vlog with a GH5 and it looked pretty nice. 

Did you see that test? Max tested the fast settings. There's hunting. What about with the slow settings? Also hunting? Tap to focus in manual?

I didn't see any other tap to focus tests. In autofocus, yes. Also specifically tap to focus in manual. Too little. People talk, talk, it is bad. Always same wrong settings. Tap to focus can be different. I want to buy. I need to see first.

33 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

It's from April 6. Look back in this topic to then.

aCbtJyV.png

11 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Auto. In MF you can't get that kind of error unless the subject distance changes...assuming you focused accurately in the first place.

I've found tap to focus to be very accurate.

Yes, how camera focus accurately in tap to focus in the first place?

24 minutes ago, shooter said:

I didn't see any other tap to focus tests. In autofocus, yes. Also specifically tap to focus in manual. Too little. People talk, talk, it is bad. Always same wrong settings. Tap to focus can be different. I want to buy. I need to see first.

aCbtJyV.png

Yes, how camera focus accurately in tap to focus?

Not sure about tap to focus, maybe I never found that feature on the GH4 or 5. For me I tap the auto focus box, drag it a bit, and release. It focusses on where you drop the AF box and BLAMMO it hits focus every time. If there was a single tap, rather than the drag and drop type of thing I do, I'd be interested to know about it. 

12 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Not sure about tap to focus, maybe I never found that feature on the GH4 or 5. For me I tap the auto focus box, drag it a bit, and release. It focusses on where you drop the AF box and BLAMMO it hits focus every time. If there was a single tap, rather than the drag and drop type of thing I do, I'd be interested to know about it. 

No single tap? I think it is possible. A friend of mine said it is the way he does. He has several Panasonic units. Not yet the GH5. 

If it is always accurate, it is very good. No hunting?

I only saw Max tested but the fast settings. With bad hunting.

1 hour ago, shooter said:

No single tap? I think it is possible. A friend of mine said it is the way he does. He has several Panasonic units. Not yet the GH5. 

If it is always accurate, it is very good. No hunting?

I only saw Max tested but the fast settings. With bad hunting.

Ohh, got you now. I use manual focus and drag and drop with the AF box. The touch thing works in AFC mode. Never used it. Maybe I should? AF tends to pulse as it finds focus (dfd) so don't use it much sorry.

On something else:
Panasonic Battery 3:08 to fully charge with stock charger. 2:23:57 recording time. 
Kastar Battery 00:58:57 recording time