Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

7 hours ago, EduPortas said:

And by that I mean not trusting AF systems on MILCs or DSLRs. Have we become that lazy?

From minute 13:23 on:

I guess, once more, this also answers for both sides (I've always loved to stay midway : D) -- the title couldn't be better! For those wondering about gimbal work, as already posted before here, take a look on the comments (mobile app suggestion) before to praise the need for automatic-autofocus.

Yet on a pre-production unit (low light! -- from minute 0:37):

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

From minute 13:23 on:

I guess, once more, this also answers for both sides (I've always loved to stay midway : D) -- the title couldn't be better! For those wondering about gimbal work, as already posted before here, take a look on the comments (mobile app suggestion) before to praise the need for automatic-autofocus.

I'm glad he's waded into this with his no nonsense Yorkshire man approach. I remember his earlier one with the immortal line about Panasonic claiming he had to send his original defective GH5 to a service centre to be repaired instead of them replacing it - "So I told the Panasonic rep you can fuck off". Such a refreshing change to see someone who's just putting the camera on and giving his thoughts instead of trying to go for the big production look bigging himself up.

Maybe one day we can look forward to him teaming up with three other Yorkshire camera users in a few years to reminisce about how they had to make films without functioning face detection, or auto focus, or lenses or cameras.

Well, this is internet, a discussion forum... ; ) Your point has its merit, though. I've already left the plea to MY and some other guy who's testing the bitch. Let's see if they'll add anything on topic. To be sincere, I am more focused on accuracy about tap to focus than actually full autofocus. If you're looking for sports, as for instance, your scope and needs can go further beyond, of course. I hope the settings may concur anyway. In any case, I'd suggest the mobile app route which can really help gimbal work if not for much fast stuff.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:04 AM, EduPortas said:

So much controversy around a MILC that never promised earth-shattering video AF performance.

We've become lazy. Either move your wrist around the barrel of the lens and make the enormous effort of +focusing+

like pros have done for DECADES or buy a good videocamera and see your AF problems melt away thanks to its inherent design nature.

This coming from an owner of a 7Dm2 which has, arguably, one of the better video AF systems in the industry (DPAF).

Even them, I rarely trust the camera to do the focusing for me. I can't afford even a single AF hunting second.

So I go full manual. You know, like a paid professional!

Aside from your arrogant tone, there is a gaping flaw in your logic. 

Buy a good video camera and see your AF problems melt away?

Mirrorless cameras with good AF already exist.

BTW, I said AF is sometimes indispensable, I never claimed it should supplant MF.  If you don't have someone pulling focus, for example. In the following clip, from 1:08 -  1:11, where the camera moves quickly from the barber to the customer, is a case in point. 

Wait, I forgot to add boldface type, exclamation marks and references to how pros have been doing things for decades, as if the industry is standing still.

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Now changing subject, here's some marvelous imagerie from this piece of work:

Shot on 12-60mm f2.8-4 and 100-400mm f4-6.3 -- only two zoom lenses and here we all can go very light ;-)

Cool stuff! Nature footage is something the GH5 excels at I think. IBIS, compact, easy to get a long zoom range with m43, 4K 60p. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Aside from your arrogant tone, there is a gaping flaw in your logic. 

Buy a good video camera and see your AF problems melt away?

Mirrorless cameras with good AF already exist.

BTW, I said AF is sometimes indispensable, I never claimed it should supplant MF.  If you don't have someone pulling focus, for example. In the following clip, from 1:08 -  1:11, where the camera moves quickly from the barber to the customer, is a case in point. 

Wait, I forgot to add boldface type, exclamation marks and references to how pros have been doing things for decades, as if the industry is standing still.

Go ahead, enjoy your MILC/DSLR. I can't see how's that arrogant, I'm just a pragmatist.

As I said before, my own personal experience

with one of the best and most advanced cameras in the business in terms of video AF (Canon's 7Dm2 with DPAF)

showed me that even though DLSRs have made huge steps in focusing performance,

we are still far away from the average AF performance of a dedicated video camera.

You know the answer already: the industrial design of a video camera is very different from a DSLR.

Use the best tool for the job. If you live inside a studio, take your time to focus with your cool MILC/DLSR.

I can't afford that. I can't have any AF mishaps. Not in the middle of covering a protest and your ass (or your life) is on the line, for example.

For journo work, at least for the moment, I'm sticking with video cams.  

Jingles is back...

AF Sensitivity reduced to -3 in order to prevent hunting over the background. Speed is up trying to not become slow... With those so many Christmas lights in that tree will be hard to match those settings. That is, if you'll have the patience I don't have to follow 45 minutes of this soup of this and that to arrive to the same conclusion on tap to focus. Either way, still without clue if slower or the slowest settings will avoid hunting on that semi-auto focus mode as he names it, actually part of AF system with a range of settings which will vary the performance, I bet.

I'm still finding central area focusing works the best. That central area can also be moved anywhere you like. I found it impossible to watch that 45 minute video from Peter. This info could have been distilled down to 5-10 minutes. 

I also don't understand why he thinks 225 points 'has the most power' as he said in a previous video. What good is the 225 points when the camera decides where it wants to focus in that mode?

He means well, he's harmless, but dang, he sure likes to hear himself talk. ;)

2 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I'm still finding central area focusing works the best. That central area can also be moved anywhere you like. I found it impossible to watch that 45 minute video from Peter. This info could have been distilled down to 5-10 minutes. 

I also don't understand why he thinks 225 points 'has the most power' as he said in a previous video. What good is the 225 points when the camera decides where it wants to focus in that mode?

yeah, he's long-winded as all get out, and just like Max Yuryev and Joseph, one video isn't enough. he says that a Panasonic rep whom he can't name told him the best settings, or something like that. No wonder Jingles is always sleeping through his videos.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

As Jon said, the man is stuck on the brand rep almost as much as that board where his lesson on the word confidance makes me feel much more confiante in my mother language as non-native English speaker :-D

49 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

"Panasonic GH5 vs Canon 5D Mark IV 4K!!!!"

gh5 colors seem improved and close to Canon. Slo-mo is nice.

Last week...

a fellow countryman of mine had published this comparison test shot almost side by side my Lisbon office BTW (no idea if already posted here):

13 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I think you mean "1-Area"? That's the one that works for me. You can change the size of it and location. 

Yeah being succinct takes a lot of work without the payoff of screen time. It's also hard to make a video without mistakes. So maybe people give up on both and end up watching Stronz for the nice voice.

15 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I think you mean "1-Area"? That's the one that works for me. You can change the size of it and location. 

Yeah being succinct takes a lot of work without the payoff of screen time. It's also hard to make a video without mistakes. So maybe people give up on both and end up watching Stronz for the nice voice.

BTW, once you have one GH5 unit too, would you mind to perform the test I've also asked to Ken? It would be nice to check out the findings from both of you :-)

17 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Yeah, 1 area, but I was trying to differentiate from the 'spot' focus.

I respect your position, JP. I really do. You obviously prefer newer technologies to solve your video-related problems.

There's just a small concern with that: these new hybrid MILC/DLSRs are not a mature technology.

There will be problems with video AF because that's not their primary function.

Yet, it's remarkable just how much they have advanced in the last five years. For that, I commend savvy engineers at Canon, Sony, Pana, etc.

For ME, for my personal work-related needs, they are not usable. Yet.

I still prefer a trusty video camera that does not hunt around in AF mode and is easier to operate. They are a much more mature technology.

Hope that was clear and we can agree to disagree. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, EduPortas said:

I respect your position, JP. I really do. You obviously prefer newer technologies to solve your video-related problems.

I see you are clueless to whom you address your words. Go to his YT channel to see his entries before to infer anything, it is better ;-)