Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Man, read the last pages: this is previous week news. Sorry, but you know how news run fast these days... ;-)

This kind of reports on bad AF performance reminds me when people want to mimic Hollywood from default settings on their Walmart camera :-D

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Bias is present in everything in life and in the world as we all know, even though, we tend to forget, ignore or deny. We are all biased. We take position, so there we are. You, for example, you defend your perspective on this topic. Bias : )

That said, I don't think he is dishonest, I found him pretty committed to give to his audience the best he can. Paid reviews have another tone. Competent as reviewer? Well, we'll have a distinct matter to discuss then. A malfunctioning unit can't serve as excuse for professionals when AF is presented as used by soccer moms. To barely call it scientific is unscientific. AF use is beyond the usage he recalls in his video. Frankly, I wouldn't hire such shooter, I'm sorry to write it because I appreciate some of his effort indeed. 30 minutes of test would demand much more, though. Barry Green standard, I guess, my bad.

To fulfill the whole cup is variably hard to succeed. But, when we approach some intricate subject, we must try it or we risk to fail. Voilà (if I put the accent in a different language of French, I won't reach to properly write the idiom ; )

E :-)

The one and only time in my life I ever gave someone the benefit of the doubt. Guess I won't make that mistake again.

29 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The one and only time in my life I ever gave someone the benefit of the doubt. Guess I won't commit that error again.

Who? Max Yuryev? Seems legit.

Barry Green is a notable Panasonic man. He's incredibly skilled to find workarounds for (t)his brand flaws. Well, more focused on his dames inside there, the Panasonic professional cameras. Because the infamous DSLRs, mirrorless nowadays or the new terminology DC used by GH5 BTW, are almost some other playground : D less today than yesterday. More biased than his approach is hard to find. His input is invariably outstanding, though.

@Emanuel You keep saying they should use tap-to-focus and AF-S but I fail to see how one would use that one a gimbal? The big advantage of AF in video in my eyes is when you can't actually manually focus (and remote follow focus is really expensive and hard to do as one man crew when it quickly requires a bigger gimbal) and just put in AF-C (maybe even with face detect) and the camera takes care of the focus while you take care of framing and composition.

Yesterday I've watched the "Should the GH5 be compared to a Sony A7sii?" video by Leftcoast Media House and once you notice the autofocus pulsating (the poster in the background goes sharper and softer all the time) you can't unsee it.
If I'd get a GH5 I'd probably prefer using manual focus for the time being.

48 minutes ago, Phil A said:

@Emanuel You keep saying they should use tap-to-focus and AF-S but I fail to see how one would use that one a gimbal? The big advantage of AF in video in my eyes is when you can't actually manually focus (and remote follow focus is really expensive and hard to do as one man crew when it quickly requires a bigger gimbal) and just put in AF-C (maybe even with face detect) and the camera takes care of the focus while you take care of framing and composition

I used tap-to-focus with my Zhiyun Crane, simply from the mobile application. I have a "magic-arm" attached with a clip and the mobile always visible.

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

@Emanuel You keep saying they should use tap-to-focus and AF-S but I fail to see how one would use that one a gimbal? The big advantage of AF in video in my eyes is when you can't actually manually focus (and remote follow focus is really expensive and hard to do as one man crew when it quickly requires a bigger gimbal) and just put in AF-C (maybe even with face detect) and the camera takes care of the focus while you take care of framing and composition.

Yesterday I've watched the "Should the GH5 be compared to a Sony A7sii?" video by Leftcoast Media House and once you notice the autofocus pulsating (the poster in the background goes sharper and softer all the time) you can't unsee it.
If I'd get a GH5 I'd probably prefer using manual focus for the time being.

You can stop hunting, locking AF when focused to begin with. As simple as that. Set up the focus peaking and keep the distance to the area in focus, monitoring it in order to not put the focus off over your subject.

Depending on the camera movement (RS has never been quite of a trouble when people understand the way a camera should move not exactly spinning around, except when motivated by the subject, that is, formulas like soap operas never much helped the aesthetics of film), it is rather possible to smoothly and quickly move the focus box in the touch screen even with the camera on gimbal.

I even bet that an extra IBIS will help you out to keep the stabilizer steady : D Techie pleonasm apart and yes, these things require solid training but, like the bikes, once you get it... ; )

Not yet? As eltorrete has just posted, mobile app will be easy going and your friend. Let's not forget touch to focus is part of AF system and if has worked in a 5-years now GF5, count on it shooting with their last and improved toy. This 'GH5 AF sucks' is pure BS. Only shooters do suck if/when that happens.

Moreover, AF performance is not all the same, neither all the Panasonic/Olympus lens models, focal lengths, etc, with several versions included, better to test it before going to shoot without mention the infinite range of settings combination, various speed, sensitivity on responsiveness (Max Yuryev only tested +3 and -3... c'mon *Phew* see Tommy Callaway's test and his different settings, for example) and so on (again, no free lunch), isn't it? :-)

Here's another test, not mine, but gives a scope that even the most lazy AF varies on the results in the very end:

And why not to take a look on the comments too? ;-)

AF_II.png

As with all cameras the operator has to overcome the obstacles pertaining to their particular shoot....if you get paid to shoot, you're not asked to whine about it....you're asked to do something....it's your job as the expert to go away and figure out how....if you choose the GH5 for that job....figure out what you need....period...the trailer below was for a movie shot on a GH2 on 2 lenses....shot mostly handheld....with a measuring tape and a PIECE OF STRING tied between the operator and the actor!..most people I've been on sets with through the years never went to film school....they are there because they caught a break...are intelligent and resourceful....and people can stand to be around them... I know it depends on what you use the camera for...but if I was going to go down to shoot a shipwreck at 60 ft underwater....I would plan for that....I would not complain that the splashproof feature on the camera  is inadequate....if all you're capable of working with is an instimatic camera,...then start with that....this camera is very advanced and will take an investment in time....maybe months!....this is no more a toy than an Alexa or an F35 is....with one difference....for the everyday man, it is affordable and much more forgiving...this is a tool capable of professional work!...be a professional if you get paid to use it...

11 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Gh5 AF is terrible 

look from 12:50

I guess you didn't see all the tests I conducted with my GH5 and posted on these pages. I believe he has a defective body since I couldn't begin to duplicate the horrible performance he posted. My GH5's AF is absolutely fine and comparable to what I experienced with my A6300...maybe better.

GH5 vs A6500 Autofocus Comparison - 4K & 1080P

Max is going for broke with these af tests.

Last few times I shot on a 80D I turned it on and the af just worked without digging into the menu. Did Panasonic try a shock and awe tactic with all their confusing af settings to hide outdated technology?

13 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Bias is present in everything in life and in the world as we all know, even though, we tend to forget, ignore or deny. We are all biased. We take position, so there we are. You, for example, you defend your perspective on this topic. Bias : )

That said, I don't think he is dishonest, I found him pretty committed to give to his audience the best he can. Paid reviews have another tone. Competent as reviewer? Well, we'll have a distinct matter to discuss then. A malfunctioning unit can't serve as excuse for professionals when AF is presented as used by soccer moms. To barely call it scientific is unscientific. AF use is beyond the usage he recalls in his video. Frankly, I wouldn't hire such shooter, I'm sorry to write it because I appreciate some of his effort indeed. 30 minutes of test would demand much more, though. Barry Green standard, I guess, my bad.

To fulfill the whole cup is variably hard to succeed. But, when we approach some intricate subject, we must try it or we risk to fail. Voilà (if I put the accent in a different language of French, I won't reach to properly write the idiom ; )

E :-)

Hate to open up old wounds, but wasn't it you who started the thread GH5 Noise Reduction @high ISOs simply sucks... ?

57 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I guess you didn't see all the tests I conducted with my GH5 and posted on these pages. I believe he has a defective body since I couldn't begin to duplicate the horrible performance he posted. My GH5's AF is absolutely fine and comparable to what I experienced with my A6300...maybe better.

Are you speaking about the video of focusing in the street on the car, then on something else then on the car again? If yes this is totally different than the focus tracking of his face. If not which video please?

27 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

GH5 vs A6500 Autofocus Comparison - 4K & 1080P

Have to love that video at 10m32s where they look at the GH5 Extended Manual online and it actually says that the camera will probably struggle when autofocusing in UHD video but that's for accuracy, not a malfunction. Seems like sugar coating a lacking function.

Also interesting that the part above that warns of overheating messages. Makes me curious if people will run into these or it's more hypothetical.

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to seeing what people do with the camera once the autofocus arguments die down.

2 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

As with all cameras the operator has to overcome the obstacles pertaining to their particular shoot....if you get paid to shoot, you're not asked to whine about it....you're asked to do something....it's your job as the expert to go away and figure out how....if you choose the GH5 for that job....figure out what you need....period...the trailer below was for a movie shot on a GH2 on 2 lenses....shot mostly handheld....with a measuring tape and a PIECE OF STRING tied between the operator and the actor!..most people I've been on sets with through the years never went to film school....they are there because they caught a break...are intelligent and resourceful....and people can stand to be around them... I know it depends on what you use the camera for...but if I was going to go down to shoot a shipwreck at 60 ft underwater....I would plan for that....I would not complain that the splashproof feature on the camera  is inadequate....if all you're capable of working with is an instimatic camera,...then start with that....this camera is very advanced and will take an investment in time....maybe months!....this is no more a toy than an Alexa or an F35 is....with one difference....for the everyday man, it is affordable and much more forgiving...this is a tool capable of professional work!...be a professional if you get paid to use it...

Spoken like a Old Man with experience. Well done sir, well done!  :glasses:

1:40 mark is what he is talking about the string on video below.